Sign in with
Your question

Hardware based internet monitoring

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
September 16, 2011 2:35:10 AM

Hello, I am interested in a hardware solution for monitoring internet viewing. I see tons of software solutions but nothing really viable for home use in hardware. My idea is a modded router that runs on embedded Linux with some sort of net monitoring capability and report generation
September 16, 2011 3:03:18 AM

What kind of information exactly are you looking to gather? Do you want to limit traffic based on some aspect of the traffic, or just report?
m
l
September 16, 2011 3:17:25 AM

bmouring said:
What kind of information exactly are you looking to gather? Do you want to limit traffic based on some aspect of the traffic, or just report?

Mostly just reporting on what websites are being visited with possible tagging for adult sites
The software solutions depend on the native operating system being active
That is easily defeated by all the live disks available for Linux distros.
If I have a small box between the modem and the computer it will solve this problem
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2011 3:26:47 AM

I think something like pfSense or Untangle would be able to do most of/all the things you are wanting to achieve.
m
l
September 16, 2011 8:32:54 AM

Indeed, you probably want to look into something that provides transparent proxying (e.g. squid), which a network-oriented distro can provide
m
l
September 16, 2011 9:59:17 PM

hey thanks for the ideas
now I am going into research mode so I'll return with what I find
thanks again
SS
m
l
September 28, 2011 11:20:50 PM

A lot of routers support monitoring as well. Maybe not with as many features, but theyll give you a list of what is being visited
m
l
!