Sign in with
Your question

Can't install updates

Last response: in Windows XP
September 10, 2008 3:58:44 PM

I can't seem to get windows to let me install updates. I have it set to download them automatically but let me decide what and when to install. Every time I tell it to install updates it acts like it is and then gives me a message that says "the following updates were not installed" and then lists all of the updates I told it to install. Probably a bonehead issue but I can't figure it out. I mean it's got to be something simple. I am signed on as administrator.

More about : install updates

September 10, 2008 4:23:28 PM

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
September 10, 2008 6:27:30 PM

Click start then run. Type in services.msc In services, click on Bacground Intelligence Service. Enable or 'start' it. Click apply. Download the OS updates and they should install now.
Related resources
September 10, 2008 6:35:16 PM

Thanks Zoron that was perfect. Not so simple after all. I was able to update after doing that.
September 10, 2008 6:40:13 PM

Well, I will have to try Zoron's instruction on the one XP machine I have that always fails to install the OS updates. My fix must be temporary, but it works each time. So, the Windows update files are corrupted?
September 11, 2008 7:05:46 AM

I don't know the root cause, but I had a computer with XP that I had just reloaded for a customer. I installed SP3 and a few other updates, but on the next batch it just wouldn't install anymore. I found that fix on a quick search and tried it... it worked. So I figured it might just work in the OP's situation. I don't think the files are corrupted... but for whatever reason, re-registering them works.
September 11, 2008 1:50:05 PM

Thanks Zoron works like a charm saved me lots of headache. :D 
September 12, 2008 6:15:11 PM

Well, I'm over at the office and I tried Zoron's fix on the one XP sytem I have that will not download and install updates. Unfortunately, the fix did not solve the problem. 8( So I had to open Services and enable Bacground Intelligence Service (BITS). That works every time, but I have to do it everytime I want to download new updates.
September 13, 2008 5:00:39 PM

It won't stay on Automatic?
September 13, 2008 5:19:03 PM

No. I set it to Automatic and it won't stay. So BITS is not running properly on that computer. Apparently, when I manually turn BITS on it works, but turns itself off eventually? I have to start it manually when I want to download and install updates. That works each time. I performed your procedure and each entry was successful. BITS not being started was still the problem. So, BITS will not stay running? Help...

AMD 64 3400+ Clawhammer 2.4GHz.
ASUS Socket 754 Premium MB
3 x 512 Corsair PC3200 LL
6600GT AGP
250 SATA WD
435w Enermax PSU
XP Home
September 13, 2008 5:26:41 PM

I'm assuming you checked for malware... but if you haven't, that would be a good start. I've seen a few computers lately that have had Automatic Updates disabled and would not let me set it to anything other than disabled. Everytime I tried manual or automatic, it would revert back to disabled. It was due to malware.
September 13, 2008 5:28:59 PM

Hmmmm...I have a totally updated Norton 2008 (latest) installed on there. Ran it complete scan yesterday. The system has been loaded up and running for many years though. Scan might have missed something.
September 13, 2008 5:31:55 PM

I recently installed SP3 on the computer, well a while back now. If I remember correctly, the system was pulling this failure to install OS updates before SP3 install.
September 13, 2008 5:32:05 PM

You may have to scan in safe mode with system restore disabled as well... that seems to be the only way to get rid of it.
September 13, 2008 5:35:03 PM

The system started acting up like this about say 6months ago. Just out of the blue. So, I started googling and came up with the BITS not started from a MS webpage. It works, but I wonder what not having BITS running does or doesn't do?
September 13, 2008 5:37:04 PM

Ok. I can do that. I'll be working there monday, but I go there each day and set up the security cameras. I have time then. When you say disable System Restore, is their a one click way to accompolish that?
September 13, 2008 10:05:47 PM

Not really a one-click way, no... you have to bring up the computer properties and check off "Turn Off System Restore".
September 15, 2008 2:29:58 AM

Zoron said:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

As you can see i'm new to the forum and i was having the same problems on two machines running XP Pro.
I tried your method and it work flawlessly all updates installed without any problems.

Thank you.
September 15, 2008 10:36:48 PM

Zoron said:
It won't stay on Automatic?

Well, I'm over at that office today. I have started and restared the system several times and today BITS 'stays on Automatic'. Before I ran your fix last week, BITS would shut down and not stay on automatic like this and I was unable to download and install OS updates. So, looks like your fix worked :whistle:  I have nothing from MS updates to download and install to verify. I tried to remove windows search from add/remove programs in Control Panel. I got a message giving a long list of 'other' OS programs that may be effected and may not work properly if I chose to 'delete' windows search so I didn't. I was going to go back and try and install Windows Search today. I'll have to ait until some new OS updates show up to be entirely sure. But, looks good BITS is running without unexplained shutdown. :hello: 

edit. Oh, last week when I did the 'fix' BITS was still shutting down even after reboot. So, I guess after a 'few' reboots the OS made the correction.
January 28, 2009 6:40:04 AM

If you click on this link http://www.connectionwizard.comoj.com/ and go to my malware removal section, there is detailed instructions that will help you. just click on the instructions link. the software is totally free and very easy instructions on using it. Everyone needs to get all the microsoft updates before the worm hits. Microsoft updates has a patch so you won't get it. I hear it's a bad one too. Tell your friends about this site when you are done. The site is currently under construction but I do have all the links for the software up and starting the instructions, now so be patient. Instructions for the first one are already in there.

May 16, 2009 2:52:08 AM

Zoron said:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Finally I have found the fix to my Background Intellegent Transfer Services (BITS) corruption.

A little background for those not famliar with BITS:

To access BITS click Start>RUN and type: services.msc

What is BITS?

My problem was BITS would not stay started, I had to manually start the BITS service each time I wanted to download Microsoft Updates to the Windows XP OS. This corruption occured at some point after I had installed WIndows SP3 or after uninstalling Norton Anti Virus program, I'm not entirely sure which or if both had something to do with the corruption of BITS service.

Anyway, after wading through countless pages of search information related to the malfunction of BITS, downloading and installing MS's own fixes and pulling my hair out for months trying to find a fix for this, here is the software that finally provided the fix. Just download and save to desktop and run the software.

http://www.philmorgan.net/techie-tools/windows-update-b...

The fix is a software programmed to repair BITS through this series of five steps:

1.Stopping Services
2.Adding Missing Registry Keys
3.Deleting Corrupted Folders
4.Registering Driver Files
5.Starting Services

That's it Zoron. File this for future reference. :) 

March 4, 2010 3:27:14 PM

Zoron said:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Zoron - 2nd command failed giving error message:

The module "wuaueng.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005. I'm on Windows 7.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce
March 4, 2010 3:37:40 PM

berlichman said:
Zoron - 2nd command failed giving error message:

The module "wuaueng.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005. I'm on Windows 7.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

The sure 'fix' is to do a repair install of XP. Obviously a fresh install of the OS would also leave BITS working properly. This thread is old. If you have specific problems you need addressed, best to start a new thread for help.
!