Why ubuntu cannot find windows

vutoung

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hello,
Hello,i had windows xp sp3 and ubuntu 10.10 before.then i had some problem and i give xp setup newly & delete the drive where ubuntu were installed.now i want to install ubuntu 11.04,bt it says u have no operating system installed,so i cant partitioning,even i cant connect net connection on live cd.what to do?im very tensed:(:(

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Let me make sure I understand your issue:

>You had a dual-boot system previously using Ubuntu and Windows XP.
>You began having problems with XP.
>You went to reinstall Windows XP, in the process you deleted all of the existing partitions, including the one containing Ubuntu 10.10
>Windows XP finished installation successfully.
>When booting from the Ubuntu 11.04 LiveCD, something (what is it?) says there's no OS installed
>From the LiveCD, you don't have an internet connection

Is this correct?

vutoung

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

absolutly correct.:(these are burning inside my head.what to do guys?//

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I guess I'm still not clear on what you're seeing: how could you see an error about not finding an OS yet not be able to get an internet connection from within the liveCD OS environment?

Usually error messages about being unable to find an OS is an issue of pointing to the wrong HDD when configuring the boot media or an issue in installation to the disk

vutoung

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

well,when i try to connct the live cd,it's not connecting.
when i try to install ubuntu11.04,i go to the advance(something else) option.normally ,there would show different drives(hdd) where i want to install.bt in case of mine,it says u have no operating system,it shows my 250gb hdd is empty(bt i have xp sp3 running in c hdd). and tell me to partition the whole 250gb hdd.bt i dont want to partition the whole 250gb hdd bcoz it will delete my xp and others document i have in others drives(such as d,e,f etc).i hope ,u now get the main point of my problem.thanku for reading my problem.:)

Could you let us have some details about the hardware you are using. What model of PC is it or if you built yourself what Motherboard. How many hard drives do you have (physical drives) and how are they partitioned? Are they SATA 3/6 or IDE. The more detail the better.

vutoung

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

intel(r) core(tm)2 duo cpu
E7400@2.80ghz
2.80Ghz,988mb RAM
iahve 4 drives.C-33gb,D-76.6gb,E-58.5gb,H-19.5gb.
all r NTFS file system

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

Well, that (likely) solves one of the issues: double-check your BIOS configuration to ensure that it's pointing to the 33GiB drive as the boot device (likely the cause of the "OS not found" error)

As far as the other disks go, either you would need to add another disk to house Linux, spare some room on one or more of those disks via repartitioning them, or just give one of them to Linux (you can't, at least currently, have Linux use NTFS as the boot or root filesystem). This configuration is also going to make troubleshooting GRUB issues interesting :)

Now, as for the lack of a network connectio when booted from the LiveCD, my money goes on a driver issue, and further I'd almost be willing to bet it's a realtek gigabit adapter, 8168

vutoung

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

thanx for ur kind answer,bt would u kindly explain it less complexly,exactly what i have to do now?????????????

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
You indicated that all of the disks you had listed were formatted NTFS, is that correct? Basically, I was suggesting that you either re-partition one of the drives such that it has a non-Windows partition on it (you can use a multitude of tools, but I used to suggest and use the GParted LiveCD as it has a nice UI approach to creating and managing partitions and the filesystems on those partitions) or to go ahead and completely convert one of the disks to being a linux-only disk (by running the installer and pointing it to install on that disk, telling it to use the entire disk)