R600 a power failure -total -failure for the watt

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Okay guys i hve just been reading on some sites like anandtech and hothadware etc and the amount of wattage the 2900 is pulling is crazy .

I mean even a single gtx is not puling that kind of watts .

its just crazy. Looking at the wattage and the electricity bill this card is going to be pulling i have to say that it is a absolute failure.

Ati have definitly stumbled if not failed .

i mean the wattage is crazy :roll: nvidia 1 ati 0 :tongue:

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Yeh we know the power is insane for a video card that is designed for dx10 and has very immature drivers at this point. The 2900Xt 80nm is what you could call a failure but the core oc's like mad if you can keep it cool like way cool. The 65nm refresh should be very competitive.

Could we stop posting threads about the 2900XT 80nm being a failure we've seen enough...

Peace
Shargrath :tongue:

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
People have a right to know :lol:

They have waited so long for this 8O

reading all reviews, it pulls 15-30 watts more than the 8800GTX.

I supose adding that many feactures like the onboard HD sound, the rage theater chip and all that crap made it worse XD

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
People have a right to know :lol:

They have waited so long for this 8O

reading all reviews, it pulls 15-30 watts more than the 8800GTX.

I supose adding that many feactures like the onboard HD sound, the rage theater chip and all that crap made it worse XD

Yeah i know the wattage is crazy for a weaker card. Also what is the point of all the extra chips if its going to make the card a weaker product ...700 watt psu is nutz :D

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
rename the thread to:
we love Nvidia. we get sexual pleauser when we bash ATI thread.
--
Performence/Watt is something that Steve Jobs invented, when he forced Apple to switch from real computers PPC, to the 70technology X86.

Core Duo is as fast as dual core G5.
Only that the G5 was 4 years earlier.

So: How to manipulate the masses? Performence/Watt

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
You my friend have no undestanding about heat and watts .

get a 2900 and sit back :lol: wait for the electricity bill hahahahahahaha.

NVIDIA RULEZ :lol: :lol: :lol: go home ati boy :lol: :lol:

Apache14

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
I would never call it a compleat falier tho, not a sucsses either. The fact that the xt was aimed at the gts and is compeating with that well the only problem is that it draws that ammount of power. also ATI have made a more compleat packege with the hdmi audio on borde which in my eyes quite an achevement.....

NVIDIA RULEZ go home ati boy

can anyone say nooob ?? or fanboy??

Shizamaaur

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Nvidia rules blah blah blah blah untill i see solid results, all is blah blah,obviously fanboys, look at how long the nvidia cards had to mature..............

wait
they are still not mature..........just like half the posters in this forum :twisted:

Apache14

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
yes but if u use those adaptors you are stuck with hdmi vidio with no sound and the same goes for dvi u will get video with no sound, so i think as i do run a computer trough a hd-tv it is important to have. Also i have decided to buy an hd2900xt as i have seen that it is on par with the gts and in some cases can beat the gtx and i think there is more to get from the drivers

Trunkz_Jr

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I don't think its too much of a big deal, all a person would have to do is rememeber to turn off the lights after using them in the house and balance is restored :p

Second: God damn, you ATI fanboys are wussies... "please stop, its too painful anymore to hear about its faults, wah wah wah drivers" Really suck it up and don't act like such a baby. To the Nvidia fanboys: Don't gloat or karma will blow up your card and force you to buy a R600 ;) The market changes and I know the ATI boyz will have their time to shine so really ease up a little.

rudinho

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
I don't think its too much of a big deal, all a person would have to do is rememeber to turn off the lights after using them in the house and balance is restored :p

Second: God damn, you ATI fanboys are wussies... "please stop, its too painful anymore to hear about its faults, wah wah wah drivers" Really suck it up and don't act like such a baby. To the Nvidia fanboys: Don't gloat or karma will blow up your card and force you to buy a R600 ;) The market changes and I know the ATI boyz will have their time to shine so really ease up a little.

And i agree with that. I bought a BFG 8800 GTS 2 months ago and i'm happy with my buy. Market changes, there's no winner, or yes there is a winner : we customers we pay less for more performance when there's competition. Even a fanatic NV fanboy needs Ati to shift gears in order to buy a 8800GTX/Ultra for less cash.

as someone wrote once on this forum " i don't buy brand, i buy performance(per dollar)"

Sounds like power being used to me, 2900 dual dvi for large screens, yes 8800 no. Sound out, 2900 yes, 8800 no. Yes it leaks, yes its hotter. But as has been said, it has more to it. If someone doesnt want HD- dvd playback on their computer, then go ahead, stay where you are. In 2 years, all this changes, and HD will be common. Just because ATI realised this before nVidia, dont slam them for it. If you dont want the newest, then buy nVidia at the top end. Even nVidia's mid and low is doing it, so whoever said they dont need it/ want it then dont buy nVidia either and go with Matrox

exarrkun said:
as someone wrote once on this forum " i don't buy brand, i buy performance(per dollar)"

ahhh, the voice of reason... :) I agree 100%. If youre paying for something you wont or dont use, then the extras of the 2900 arent for you. There are some people who game on their HD TV's. For them, the 2900 offers an eccellent choice. Those and others watch movies on their rigs, with a monitor or HDTV., another alternative for the 2900. All games can be played well on DX9 by both the 8800 series and the 2900, so really best bang for buck has just been widened by the 2900

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Yeh we know the power is insane for a video card that is designed for dx10 and has very immature drivers at this point. The 2900Xt 80nm is what you could call a failure but the core oc's like mad if you can keep it cool like way cool.

I cant see drivers affecting power consumption :p

The core only overclocks about 100MHz oe 13% without outlandish cooling, while the 8800GTS will overclock 20-25% on the stock cooler.

Hopefully the 2950XTX will rock, I need something to upgrade my 8800GTX to, and it needs to be ATi because SLi wont be supported on Bearlake X38 :(

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
rename the thread to:
we love Nvidia. we get sexual pleauser when we bash ATI thread.
--
Performence/Watt is something that Steve Jobs invented, when he forced Apple to switch from real computers PPC, to the 70technology X86.

Core Duo is as fast as dual core G5.
Only that the G5 was 4 years earlier.

So: How to manipulate the masses? Performence/Watt

IBM cpus were way ahead of everything. My dual 1.8Ghz G5 is almost as fast as my oced e6600 (is raped in quicktime). But there is no equal software to compare it. Quicktime is highly optimized for mac. But hey, to render a 70Mb video to PalDV high quality it takes 2.30 min compared to the 9min it takes on the 3.4Ghz e6600... I need a 1000mva psu for my mac though... :wink:

Sethanis

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
It really is about bang for ur buck, altho i do think we haven't seen the true potential of either the 2900 or the 8800, but because the 2 are competing we should see better drivers in the future!

But price wise i would have to go for the 2900, i could buy 2/crossfire setup for 1 8800 ultra, and i could fit them both in my case, which i can't with a GTX let alone an ultra. Now granted 1 2900XT is about 90% of an 8800 ultra performance wise, BUT i can buy 2 2900s for the same price!

I think the litmus test for these cards will be CYSIS as NVIDIA and AMD/ATI will have a while to mature the drivers for both cards