I have an extra 80mm fan, what can I do with it?

ImmortalDragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I bought a 80mm fan that I thought would fit in my case but when I received my case it turned out it has the holes for a 120mm fan. It cost about $5 so it wasn't a huge loss and its not worth the trouble of RMAing it. I checked my other PCs and it doesn't fit in any of them either. What can I do with it?

I bought a 80mm fan that I thought would fit in my case but when I received my case it turned out it has the holes for a 120mm fan. It cost about $5 so it wasn't a huge loss and its not worth the trouble of RMAing it. I checked my other PCs and it doesn't fit in any of them either. What can I do with it?

You could stick it to your forehead. Or you could buy a 80mm to 120 mm adapter and use it where the 120 mm holes in your case are.

ImmortalDragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007

You could stick it to your forehead. Or you could buy a 80mm to 120 mm adapter and use it where the 120 mm holes in your case are.

I didn't know they had adapters for that, although I feel more comfortable with it on my forehead with my nipples powering it.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
The thing is 90mm fans have lower airflow and are noiser than 120mm fans.

So why bother with a convertor. The fan you have is probably worth only a few quid / dollars.

Buy a quailty 120mm fan eg. Scythe S-Flex and put the 90mm in a drawer for a rainy day just in case you ever need it. Its not worth selling.

Alternatively you could RMA it and offset it against the cost of the 120mm Scythe although whether or not its worth anymore than postage is another matter.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Oh, come on guys! There are a TON of places you could put an extra fan! Using hot glue/zip ties you could mount one to blow on your hard drive. Blow air over your RAM. Over capacitors on the MB. On the top of the case to cool you on hot summer days. On the back of your video card. The possibilities are endless. Just use your imagination, I'm sure you can find some place in your case that could use extra cooling.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Overvolt it until it dies. That'll be a fun, challenging, experiment.

If you really want to overvolt it, get one of these! I'd say 5000 volts would do it, even though the burst would last for a few picoseconds. Or, if you don't want a smoldering, smoking heap of melted plastic, get one of these and quadruple the voltage. With proper heatsinking you might even have a working fan.