Quiet (and cool) yet powerful DX 10 card

drjhf

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Assuming that one wants DX 10 power but does not want a cement mixer or an oil refinery flame in one's new VISTA computer (while Flight Simulator takes off - eventually - with DX 10 graphics).

I'm probably talking about 8800 GTX (maybe GTS), probably not R600, at this point, given what I've seen about noise and heat discussion so far. Which of the 8800 makers packages the board to keep it quietest and coolest? Or which aftermarket cooler design will fit to accomplish what I want (Thermalright?, Thermaltake?) Will all of this stuff fit into a Dell Dimension or XPS? Or should I just go learn to fly (in the real world) and leave my old computer beside the desk?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
If you don't intend to run very high resolutions on big screens, the 8800GTS 320 will provide great performance for an excellent value. Check out the Flight Simulator X comparisons in THG VGA Charts 2007, and this recent article; Performance Value For DX10.

The GTX is physically GIGANTIC, where the GTS is only BIG, and is cool, quiet, and power efficient (check my sig). I consider the 8800 series to be a pilot's gift from nVidia's egineering Guru's, the minor exception being that nVidia's rear exhaust cooling solution is half-assed compared to ATI's excellent rear exhaust design; the concept being to vent ALL graphics generated heat out of the computer case.

I chose eVGA's SuperClocked 8800GTS 320MB card, and OC'd it higher than stock GTX clocks using ATI Tool, but keep in mind that since Flight Simulators are very CPU bound, FSX demands every bit of overclocked CPU horsepower you can afford in order to render the highest frame rates. The recent release of SP1 for FSX is multicore threaded, which further improves simulation performance.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

drjhf

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Thanks for the help so far. Makes sense, and even saves money and space inside the box. All good things. Today's other postings seem to say eVGA or MSI better than Foxconn or certainly Leadtek, but will I be happier if I have an aftermarket cooler, and if so, which one and what about the 92 mm fan? All of this is planned for a Dell Dimension or XPS...I hope that I am not expecting the impossible in terms of a good airy and quiet case from Dell...or should I be looking at a PCsForEveryone or another white box builder?

Saucey

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
From experience you cant fit shit in a dell case! After my dell blew up from me overclocking ti too much (i wanted a new one and wondered how high i could get it) i bought a antec 900. Love the case. Just hope the 8800GTS 640 that i am going to order in a couple of weeks fits. It should do :)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
drjhf, nVidia's rear exhaust cooling solution, half-assed as it is, does remove at least half of the graphics generated heat from the case. Many users fail to appreciate how important this is, not realizing that when an after market air cooling solution is installed, graphics generated heat is then simply recirculated inside the case, thereby raising the temperatures of all components within the case, which is not an acceptable alternative to any form of rear exhaust. Therefore, in my opinion, rear exhaust is the only way to go.

Since I have no problem with voiding warranties, I modified my GTS by Dremmel Tooling away the exhaust louvres, enlarged the exhaust port, and removed the case's slot divider to improve outflow. I then fabricated side, top and bottom cover panels from thin, clear, flexible mylar film to seal the side vents and air leaks, and used clear packing tape to secure the panels in place. The entire mod took about 4 hours to complete, and my card's rear exhaust is at least as good as ATI's rear exhaust cards.

Saucey, I had just built a Flight Simulator computer for a colleague a few weeks ago using the Antec 900 case and the 8800GTX, however, configuration and air flow planning was critical. Even though we used a single card, we selected an SLI board in order to position the GTX away from the CPU, and close to the PSU intake. You'll have no problem with the GTS in the Antec 900. Excellent case, and I enjoyed the build.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

TRENDING THREADS