Sign in with
Your question

Video Card Advice for

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
September 20, 2011 2:35:00 AM

I just bought a used computer that has a Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P Motherboard, an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 6000+ 3 GHz Processor, with two gigs of RAM, 250 gig Hard Drive and a DVD Burner. It doesn't have any operating system and thought I'd try Ubuntu 11.04. I would like to buy a video card that has HDMI so I can send video and audio to my AVR Receiver. I am looking at an HIS H545H1G Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar) 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card at Newegg.

The HIS Website for this card http://www.hisdigital.com/us/product2-507.shtml doesn't have any drivers for Linux so I'm wondering if this card will work for me or if there might be a better video card for me to use?

More about : video card advice

a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2011 3:02:19 AM

Personally I would go with an Nvidia based card if you're planning on using Linux. The driver support tends to be better.

If you're sold on that card however, you should be able to get it working properly if you put in a bit of work.
m
l
September 20, 2011 10:26:54 AM

Thanks for your advice....I will check into that.
m
l
Related resources
September 29, 2011 6:05:00 PM

The open source ATI/AMD driver is quite solid tbh. Same with the Intel ones.

Last Nvidia I dealt with needed closed drivers.

So I would say AMD/ATI.

Haven't needed to install 3rd party ones yet ;) .
m
l
October 8, 2011 8:26:48 PM

I'm coming to this a little late, but for the record, the whole point of choosing Nvidia is so you can use the proprietary driver. It supports the hardware better than any of the open-source xorg drivers do. In particular vdpau video acceleration can make an enormous difference to HD video.

m
l
October 8, 2011 8:39:21 PM

I'm coming to this a little late, but for the record, the whole point of choosing Nvidia is so you can use the proprietary driver. It supports the hardware better than any of the open-source xorg drivers do. In particular vdpau video acceleration can make an enormous difference to HD video.

m
l
October 8, 2011 8:56:03 PM

m
l
October 8, 2011 9:21:01 PM

m
l
October 8, 2011 9:55:12 PM

Sorry for the duplicates, but every time I try to submit I get a site unavailable page, and I don't seem to be able to delete them.
m
l
October 8, 2011 10:36:41 PM

Really wish I had mod privileges right now.

Anyhow, are you having trouble connecting to the site?

Hopefully we can fix that too.
m
l
!