Running Medal of Honor on Vista 64bit

high school kid

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Alright I can't seem to find an answer to this problem anywhere so i'm hoping my search will end here.

Everytime I load MOH AA, SH or BT it crashes after the console begins the game.

This is the error message i get when it crashes
http://i38.tinypic.com/vzexwi.jpg

My PC Specs are

OP's Vista 64bit

Ram 4gb 1062 mhz

GPU ASUS ATI Readeon 4870 CCC version 8.10
BIOS Version 011.007.000.000

I've tried reinstalling CCC (Catalyst Control Center) from scratch and on older versions still nothing
I used a driver remover tool as well when doing this.

I've also done all the Compatibility options including admin

Any help would be welcome
Thank You

__________________________________________________ __________________________

SOLOUTION!!!!!

Please note the following is what i found. It worked for me and i was able to load multiplayer etc, I just tryed it for a few minutes I don't know if the game will crash at any point etc. But it's better then what Ati's offering.

Requirments

A little Tech know how

You will need to know how to use command line etc.
Search Engine, how to get around you hard drive.

Working on download
You can go through the following steps for yourself or download the file from this link

~~~~ PLEASE NOTE DOING EITHER IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! ~~~~~

This is my own website from many years ago so i mean it's going look pritty shady deal but whatever

If you feel it's to big risk just go through steps below

" The driver's reported OpenGL string is too long for the program's buffer to hold, hence overwriting stack memory and causing the crash.

nVidia implements application detection to work around the problem by clipping the OpenGL extension string, and I suspect ATi may have to do the same to fix the issue.

Steps to follow:

1] Download 8.6 drivers.

EDIT: Double click the ccc icon and it will copy all files to ati/support.

DON'T install. Click cancel when the installer appears. You will

only need 2 files from this older CCC. The rest is for the bin.

2] Go to the support map and navigate to atioglxx.dl_ and atioglx2.dl_.

__________________________________________________ ___________

** Edit From Ghost **

I could only personally find " atioglxx.dl_ " file and it worked for me

Go to C: Driver
then "ATI"
then "SUPPORT"

Select version 8.6 or what everone you you want for all i care (I don't know if it works for anyone)

For Xp users Use search engine on the Version 8.6 ..... type something close to atioglxx.dl_

For Vista open the version folder and use search engine

Vista Users Warning
For the following steps they did not work for me on Vista so I hooked up my Windows Xp Home and did the Operation on there.

3] Take out atioglxx.dl_ and atioglx2.dl_ and put them on c:\

Putting them on c:\ makes it easier to find/acces them in the next step.

4] Open a command prompt and type:

CD\

hit enter then type

expand c:\atioglxx.dl_ c:\atioglxx.dll

expand c:\atioglx2.dl_ c:\atioglx2.dll

Watch the spaces !

This will expand the files into dll's.

U will now see 2 files identical to the ones you placed there earlier, except that these new files are now recognized as dll's.

If you get a "can't read out put file"

type

attrib

If the atioglxx.dl_ has any letters written be side it go back to the files location right click and change security restrictions to full authority.

5] Next put these two files into your MOHAA map. This is the map where your exe is. DO NOT put it in mainta.(or anywhere else for that matter...)

Only the games in this mohaa map will use these new opengl dll's. This includes mohaa, mohaas and mohbt. Your other games will use dll's from cat 8.9., or whichever version u have installed.

6] Start the game. Voila.

*U can remove the 8.6 driver map cos u already got what u need out of that map.

*If the 8.6 dll's dont work, then try other versions and retry steps.

*I got two HD4870 so any1 with that card should follow this to the letter."

By Roscoe on AMD Forums

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=227&threadid=96600&enterthread=y

If the problem was related to 64 bit Vista in particular I think we would find more references to it on the net. I would try all of the usual suspects - latest drivers video and sound and latest patches from the game maker. If you have already tried all that my next question would be are any other games doing this? I'd also post your question at a MOH support forum. I would also try to run the game in the most primitive graphics mode with all advanced graphics options off and then add them back one by one.

high school kid

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
SOLOUTION!!!!!

Please note the following is what i found. It worked for me and i was able to load multiplayer etc, I just tryed it for a few minutes I don't know if the game will crash at any point etc. But it's better then what Ati's offering.

Requirments

A little Tech know how

You will need to know how to use command line etc.
Search Engine, how to get around you hard drive.

Working on download
You can go through the following steps for yourself or download the file from this link

~~~~ PLEASE NOTE DOING EITHER IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! ~~~~~

This is my own website from many years ago so i mean it's going look pritty shady deal but whatever

If you feel it's to big risk just go through steps below

" The driver's reported OpenGL string is too long for the program's buffer to hold, hence overwriting stack memory and causing the crash.

nVidia implements application detection to work around the problem by clipping the OpenGL extension string, and I suspect ATi may have to do the same to fix the issue.

Steps to follow:

1] Download 8.6 drivers.

EDIT: Double click the ccc icon and it will copy all files to ati/support.

DON'T install. Click cancel when the installer appears. You will

only need 2 files from this older CCC. The rest is for the bin.

2] Go to the support map and navigate to atioglxx.dl_ and atioglx2.dl_.

** Edit From Ghost **

I could only personally find " atioglxx.dl_ " file and it worked for me

Go to C: Driver
then "ATI"
then "SUPPORT"

Select version 8.6 or what everone you you want for all i care (I don't know if it works for anyone)

For Xp users Use search engine on the Version 8.6 ..... type something close to atioglxx.dl_

For Vista open the version folder and use search engine

Vista Users Warning
For the following steps they did not work for me on Vista so I hooked up my Windows Xp Home and did the Operation on there.

3] Take out atioglxx.dl_ and atioglx2.dl_ and put them on c:\

Putting them on c:\ makes it easier to find/acces them in the next step.

4] Open a command prompt and type:

CD\

hit enter then type

expand c:\atioglxx.dl_ c:\atioglxx.dll

expand c:\atioglx2.dl_ c:\atioglx2.dll

Watch the spaces !

This will expand the files into dll's.

U will now see 2 files identical to the ones you placed there earlier, except that these new files are now recognized as dll's.

If you get a "can't read out put file"

type

attrib

If the atioglxx.dl_ has any letters written be side it go back to the files location right click and change security restrictions to full authority.

5] Next put these two files into your MOHAA map. This is the map where your exe is. DO NOT put it in mainta.(or anywhere else for that matter...)

Only the games in this mohaa map will use these new opengl dll's. This includes mohaa, mohaas and mohbt. Your other games will use dll's from cat 8.9., or whichever version u have installed.

6] Start the game. Voila.

*U can remove the 8.6 driver map cos u already got what u need out of that map.

*If the 8.6 dll's dont work, then try other versions and retry steps.

*I got two HD4870 so any1 with that card should follow this to the letter."

By Roscoe on AMD Forums

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=227&threadid=96600&enterthread=y