Moto V551: hourly interference with computer speakers?

Last response: in Network Providers
January 6, 2005 11:59:39 AM

I just got a Motorola v551 phone. For some reason, my computer
speakers are picking up some odd interference every hour or so
from the phone. The interference comes out as a series of
crackles, maybe 5-6 crackles. The same thing happens when I
boot up the phone. Granted my speakers are about 4 years old
(cheapo Altec Lansing 340 from Dell purchase) but I have
never had this problem.

Does anyone know what's going on? I never had this problem
with my old Motorola StarTac on Sprint.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 1:05:33 PM

Mike S. wrote:
> In article <1105030779.219416.322160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I just got a Motorola v551 phone. For some reason, my computer
> >speakers are picking up some odd interference every hour or so
> >from the phone. The interference comes out as a series of
> >crackles, maybe 5-6 crackles. The same thing happens when I
> >boot up the phone. Granted my speakers are about 4 years old
> >(cheapo Altec Lansing 340 from Dell purchase) but I have
> >never had this problem.
> >
> >Does anyone know what's going on? I never had this problem
> >with my old Motorola StarTac on Sprint.
>
> Your speakers are detecting data bursts from the phone.
> GSM data bursts are at 217 Hz which is in the range of human hearing.

> You did not hear them before because Sprint uses CDMA - entirely
different
> signalling.

Thanks for the info. So I take it the problem is with my
speakers? Certainly they are decrepit (low-end model from
2001), but I don't think that that should be an issue.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 3:26:24 PM

bamp wrote:
> "Digital Puer" <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Mike S. wrote:
> >> In article
<1105030779.219416.322160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

> >> Your speakers are detecting data bursts from the phone.
> >> GSM data bursts are at 217 Hz which is in the range of human
hearing.

> >> You did not hear them before because Sprint uses CDMA - entirely
> > different
> >> signalling.
> >

> > Thanks for the info. So I take it the problem is with my
> > speakers? Certainly they are decrepit (low-end model from
> > 2001), but I don't think that that should be an issue.
>
> No, there's nothing wrong with your speakers. Mine pick up the same
thing
> and there's nothing wrong with them. I also get the intereference,
just
> before my phone rings.
>
> bamp

I think there is indeed something wrong somewhere. My
speakers are supposedly shielded from interference.
Whether my v551 is emitting illegal signals or the
speakers are sub-standard, there is something wrong.
The hourly crackling interference is extremely annoying
(particularly with that movie "white Noise" coming out...
yikes!).
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 3:40:43 PM

"Digital Puer" <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Mike S. wrote:
>> In article <1105030779.219416.322160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>> Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >I just got a Motorola v551 phone. For some reason, my computer
>> >speakers are picking up some odd interference every hour or so
>> >from the phone. The interference comes out as a series of
>> >crackles, maybe 5-6 crackles. The same thing happens when I
>> >boot up the phone. Granted my speakers are about 4 years old
>> >(cheapo Altec Lansing 340 from Dell purchase) but I have
>> >never had this problem.
>> >
>> >Does anyone know what's going on? I never had this problem
>> >with my old Motorola StarTac on Sprint.
>>
>> Your speakers are detecting data bursts from the phone.
>> GSM data bursts are at 217 Hz which is in the range of human hearing.
>
>> You did not hear them before because Sprint uses CDMA - entirely
> different
>> signalling.
>

> Thanks for the info. So I take it the problem is with my
> speakers? Certainly they are decrepit (low-end model from
> 2001), but I don't think that that should be an issue.

No, there's nothing wrong with your speakers. Mine pick up the same thing
and there's nothing wrong with them. I also get the intereference, just
before my phone rings.

bamp
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:23:02 PM

Larry Moss wrote:
> On 2005-01-06, Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think there is indeed something wrong somewhere. My
> > speakers are supposedly shielded from interference.
> > Whether my v551 is emitting illegal signals or the
> > speakers are sub-standard, there is something wrong.
> > The hourly crackling interference is extremely annoying
> > (particularly with that movie "white Noise" coming out...
> > yikes!).
>
> I think this is the only really annoying thing I've run into since
> switching to Cingular a couple months ago. I get the same thing. I
meant
> to post about it as well. I don't think you can blame the speakers
since I
> hear it on my office speakers, my living room equipment, and my car
stereo.
> All, while not top of the line, are decent systems and in excellent
shape I
> don't know if it's the v551 that has an issue, or if it is indeed
something
> unavoidable with GSM.

Thanks for the info.

If anyone else with Cingular has a phone that's not
the Motorola v551, could you tell us if you get the
hourly crackling noise interference on your speakers.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:24:17 PM

bamp wrote:
> "Digital Puer" <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Mike S. wrote:
> >> In article
<1105030779.219416.322160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

> >> Your speakers are detecting data bursts from the phone.
> >> GSM data bursts are at 217 Hz which is in the range of human
hearing.

> >> You did not hear them before because Sprint uses CDMA - entirely
> > different
> >> signalling.
> >

> > Thanks for the info. So I take it the problem is with my
> > speakers? Certainly they are decrepit (low-end model from
> > 2001), but I don't think that that should be an issue.
>
> No, there's nothing wrong with your speakers. Mine pick up the same
thing
> and there's nothing wrong with them. I also get the intereference,
just
> before my phone rings.
>
> bamp

By the way, which model cell phone do you have? Do you hear the
interference on a periodic basis (e.g. every hour)?
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:06:22 PM

In article <1105030779.219416.322160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I just got a Motorola v551 phone. For some reason, my computer
>speakers are picking up some odd interference every hour or so
>from the phone. The interference comes out as a series of
>crackles, maybe 5-6 crackles. The same thing happens when I
>boot up the phone. Granted my speakers are about 4 years old
>(cheapo Altec Lansing 340 from Dell purchase) but I have
>never had this problem.
>
>Does anyone know what's going on? I never had this problem
>with my old Motorola StarTac on Sprint.

Your speakers are detecting data bursts from the phone.
GSM data bursts are at 217 Hz which is in the range of human hearing.
You did not hear them before because Sprint uses CDMA - entirely different
signalling.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:06:23 PM

Conceptually, on the right track but technically, wrong.
"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

> In article <1105030779.219416.322160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I just got a Motorola v551 phone. For some reason, my computer
> >speakers are picking up some odd interference every hour or so
> >from the phone. The interference comes out as a series of
> >crackles, maybe 5-6 crackles. The same thing happens when I
> >boot up the phone. Granted my speakers are about 4 years old
> >(cheapo Altec Lansing 340 from Dell purchase) but I have
> >never had this problem.
> >
> >Does anyone know what's going on? I never had this problem
> >with my old Motorola StarTac on Sprint.
>
> Your speakers are detecting data bursts from the phone.
> GSM data bursts are at 217 Hz which is in the range of human hearing.
> You did not hear them before because Sprint uses CDMA - entirely different
> signalling.

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:57:51 PM

Jer wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
> > The noise coming through the speakers is due to the GSM signalling,

> > particularly on 850mhz systems. When the phone is transmitting,
your
> > speakers act as an antenna of sorts and pick up the buzz.
> >
> > Just keep your phone farther away from the speakers. Nothing wrong
with the
> > phone or speakers.
> >

> It ain't the speakers - it's the wires connecting the speakers to the

> amp equipment that pick up the interference. My remedy was to use
> coaxial cables for the speaker wires. Aside from that, the only
other
> thing that can be done is physical separation of more than a few
feet.
> Most cell phone wired headsets have a filter circuit embedded in the
> headset jack and blue tooth headsets don't need it.
>
> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jer - you are absolutely right, it's the unshielded
audio wire that's causing the problem. I have a thick
cable coming from my subwoofer up the front side of my
desk to the satellite speakers. Last night when I
put down my new cell phone prior to going to bed, I
positioned it right next to the cable. Thanks for the
insight. Interestingly, the cable is shielded enough
such that I don't get any usual interference from
my CPU case. Guess the GSM signal must be stronger.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 11:47:04 PM

On 2005-01-06, Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think there is indeed something wrong somewhere. My
> speakers are supposedly shielded from interference.
> Whether my v551 is emitting illegal signals or the
> speakers are sub-standard, there is something wrong.
> The hourly crackling interference is extremely annoying
> (particularly with that movie "white Noise" coming out...
> yikes!).

I think this is the only really annoying thing I've run into since
switching to Cingular a couple months ago. I get the same thing. I meant
to post about it as well. I don't think you can blame the speakers since I
hear it on my office speakers, my living room equipment, and my car stereo.
All, while not top of the line, are decent systems and in excellent shape I
don't know if it's the v551 that has an issue, or if it is indeed something
unavoidable with GSM.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695

In article <1105043184.164401.96850@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>bamp wrote:
>> "Digital Puer" <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote in message

><1105030779.219416.322160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

>hearing.

>> > different
>> >

>> > Thanks for the info. So I take it the problem is with my
>> > speakers? Certainly they are decrepit (low-end model from
>> > 2001), but I don't think that that should be an issue.
>>
>> No, there's nothing wrong with your speakers. Mine pick up the same
>thing
>> and there's nothing wrong with them. I also get the intereference,
>just
>> before my phone rings.
>>
>> bamp
>

>I think there is indeed something wrong somewhere. My
>speakers are supposedly shielded from interference.
>Whether my v551 is emitting illegal signals or the
>speakers are sub-standard, there is something wrong.
>The hourly crackling interference is extremely annoying
>(particularly with that movie "white Noise" coming out...
>yikes!).

Typically "shielded" speakers are designed to prevent excess magnetism
from affecting nearby CRT's and other devices sensitive to magnetic
fields. This is entirely a different issue ... and one which had been
predicted in the early days of GSM implementation in the US.
January 7, 2005 2:09:47 AM

"Joe Fabeitz" <jf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Conceptually, on the right track but technically, wrong.
> "Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
>>
>> In article <1105030779.219416.322160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>> Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >I just got a Motorola v551 phone. For some reason, my computer
>> >speakers are picking up some odd interference every hour or so
>> >from the phone. The interference comes out as a series of
>> >crackles, maybe 5-6 crackles. The same thing happens when I
>> >boot up the phone. Granted my speakers are about 4 years old
>> >(cheapo Altec Lansing 340 from Dell purchase) but I have
>> >never had this problem.
>> >
>> >Does anyone know what's going on? I never had this problem
>> >with my old Motorola StarTac on Sprint.
>>
>> Your speakers are detecting data bursts from the phone.
>> GSM data bursts are at 217 Hz which is in the range of human hearing.
>> You did not hear them before because Sprint uses CDMA - entirely
>> different
>> signalling.

January 7, 2005 2:09:48 AM

Steve wrote:

> The noise coming through the speakers is due to the GSM signalling,
> particularly on 850mhz systems. When the phone is transmitting, your
> speakers act as an antenna of sorts and pick up the buzz.
>
> Just keep your phone farther away from the speakers. Nothing wrong with the
> phone or speakers.

It ain't the speakers - it's the wires connecting the speakers to the
amp equipment that pick up the interference. My remedy was to use
coaxial cables for the speaker wires. Aside from that, the only other
thing that can be done is physical separation of more than a few feet.
Most cell phone wired headsets have a filter circuit embedded in the
headset jack and blue tooth headsets don't need it.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:22:49 AM

In <1105050182.064721.8010@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> on 6 Jan 2005
14:23:02 -0800, "Digital Puer" <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If anyone else with Cingular has a phone that's not
>the Motorola v551, could you tell us if you get the
>hourly crackling noise interference on your speakers.

You'll get it with any GSM phone, including my Sony Ericsson Z600.

January 7, 2005 2:23:41 AM

In <1105050257.581088.14670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> on 6 Jan 2005
14:24:17 -0800, "Digital Puer" <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>By the way, which model cell phone do you have? Do you hear the
>interference on a periodic basis (e.g. every hour)?

That's probably the periodic re-registration of the phone with the tower.

January 7, 2005 9:18:33 AM

I have a siemens sl56 (not cheap) and a panasonic gd55 which makes the exact
same 3 popping noises in the car and on 3 different computers. Co-workers
with gsm all do the same with their phones. It is a GSM quirk but it lets
you know before it rings you are getting a call. Funny to watch someones
face as you reach down and answer your phone before it vibes or rings!
Everytime I hear that noise i reach for my phone now without realizing it.

> Larry Moss wrote:
> > On 2005-01-06, Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think there is indeed something wrong somewhere. My
> > > speakers are supposedly shielded from interference.
> > > Whether my v551 is emitting illegal signals or the
> > > speakers are sub-standard, there is something wrong.
> > > The hourly crackling interference is extremely annoying
> > > (particularly with that movie "white Noise" coming out...
> > > yikes!).
> >
> > I think this is the only really annoying thing I've run into since
> > switching to Cingular a couple months ago. I get the same thing. I
> meant
> > to post about it as well. I don't think you can blame the speakers
> since I
> > hear it on my office speakers, my living room equipment, and my car
> stereo.
> > All, while not top of the line, are decent systems and in excellent
> shape I
> > don't know if it's the v551 that has an issue, or if it is indeed
> something
> > unavoidable with GSM.
> >

> Thanks for the info.
>
> If anyone else with Cingular has a phone that's not
> the Motorola v551, could you tell us if you get the
> hourly crackling noise interference on your speakers.

January 7, 2005 11:00:16 AM

Digital Puer wrote:

> Jer wrote:
>
>>Steve wrote:
>>

>>>The noise coming through the speakers is due to the GSM signalling,
>

>>>particularly on 850mhz systems. When the phone is transmitting,
>
> your
>
>>>speakers act as an antenna of sorts and pick up the buzz.
>>>
>>>Just keep your phone farther away from the speakers. Nothing wrong
>
> with the
>
>>>phone or speakers.
>>>

>>It ain't the speakers - it's the wires connecting the speakers to the
>

>>amp equipment that pick up the interference. My remedy was to use
>>coaxial cables for the speaker wires. Aside from that, the only
>
> other
>
>>thing that can be done is physical separation of more than a few
>
> feet.
>
>>Most cell phone wired headsets have a filter circuit embedded in the
>>headset jack and blue tooth headsets don't need it.
>>
>>--
>>jer
>>email reply - I am not a 'ten'
>

> Jer - you are absolutely right, it's the unshielded
> audio wire that's causing the problem. I have a thick
> cable coming from my subwoofer up the front side of my
> desk to the satellite speakers. Last night when I
> put down my new cell phone prior to going to bed, I
> positioned it right next to the cable. Thanks for the
> insight. Interestingly, the cable is shielded enough
> such that I don't get any usual interference from
> my CPU case. Guess the GSM signal must be stronger.

I don't know if it's stronger or what, but it's certainly different
enough to be noticable. Like you said, the PC speakers are shielded due
to the magnets inside, so I figured it wasn't the speakers themselves.
My PC though was the most aggravating, so I replaced the typical speaker
wiring with 2-wire w/coaxial shield, and connected the shield to a screw
on the PC case, and the PC has been happy since. I got the new cable
from Rad Shack. I get this same interactance (my word) in other places,
too, like in the car. The car has speaker wiring all over the place,
often hidden behind metal body panels, so I'm not certain where the
exposure points are. However, modifying all the car wiring would be a
major pain, so I'll live with the minor annoyance there.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

My Blackberry 2 -way pager does the same thing. Periodically, it is
"handshaking with the system which requires it to transmit a "I here and
available" msg.

> bamp wrote:
> > "Digital Puer" <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> <1105030779.219416.322160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

> hearing.

> > > different
> > >

> > > Thanks for the info. So I take it the problem is with my
> > > speakers? Certainly they are decrepit (low-end model from
> > > 2001), but I don't think that that should be an issue.
> >
> > No, there's nothing wrong with your speakers. Mine pick up the same
> thing
> > and there's nothing wrong with them. I also get the intereference,
> just
> > before my phone rings.
> >
> > bamp
>

> I think there is indeed something wrong somewhere. My
> speakers are supposedly shielded from interference.
> Whether my v551 is emitting illegal signals or the
> speakers are sub-standard, there is something wrong.
> The hourly crackling interference is extremely annoying
> (particularly with that movie "white Noise" coming out...
> yikes!).

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 11:40:14 AM

I have a Motorola V551 now and I get this same buzzing noise although it
doesn't seem to be as bad as my previous phones which were a Sony Ericsson
T68i and a Sony Ericsson T226. The Sony's would buzz my car stereo, the
speaker phone in my companie's conference room and other speakers it
happened to be nearby. It will reliably do it prior to recieving a call
(which is fun in the conference room because I know a call is coming in
before the phone rings) as well as in specific locations where I suspect the
buzzing occurs due to tower hand-off. By the way, it would do this on ATT
service or Cingular service.

Cheers
TC

> Jer wrote:
>> Steve wrote:
>>
>> > The noise coming through the speakers is due to the GSM signalling,
>
>> > particularly on 850mhz systems. When the phone is transmitting,
> your
>> > speakers act as an antenna of sorts and pick up the buzz.
>> >
>> > Just keep your phone farther away from the speakers. Nothing wrong
> with the
>> > phone or speakers.
>> >

>> It ain't the speakers - it's the wires connecting the speakers to the
>
>> amp equipment that pick up the interference. My remedy was to use
>> coaxial cables for the speaker wires. Aside from that, the only
> other
>> thing that can be done is physical separation of more than a few
> feet.
>> Most cell phone wired headsets have a filter circuit embedded in the
>> headset jack and blue tooth headsets don't need it.
>>
>> --
>> jer
>> email reply - I am not a 'ten'
>

> Jer - you are absolutely right, it's the unshielded
> audio wire that's causing the problem. I have a thick
> cable coming from my subwoofer up the front side of my
> desk to the satellite speakers. Last night when I
> put down my new cell phone prior to going to bed, I
> positioned it right next to the cable. Thanks for the
> insight. Interestingly, the cable is shielded enough
> such that I don't get any usual interference from
> my CPU case. Guess the GSM signal must be stronger.

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:26:59 PM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:47:04 +0000, Larry Moss wrote:

> On 2005-01-06, Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think there is indeed something wrong somewhere. My speakers are
>> supposedly shielded from interference. Whether my v551 is emitting
>> illegal signals or the speakers are sub-standard, there is something
>> wrong. The hourly crackling interference is extremely annoying
>> (particularly with that movie "white Noise" coming out... yikes!).
>
> I think this is the only really annoying thing I've run into since
> switching to Cingular a couple months ago. I get the same thing. I meant
> to post about it as well. I don't think you can blame the speakers since
> I hear it on my office speakers, my living room equipment, and my car
> stereo. All, while not top of the line, are decent systems and in
> excellent shape I don't know if it's the v551 that has an issue, or if it
> is indeed something unavoidable with GSM.

I've had the same problem at work with my old Nokia TDMA phone. Just
before a call, and occasionally at other times.

January 9, 2005 6:20:34 PM

I have the same situation with my new Treo 600. Static sporatically from
my TV and radio speakers even with the radio and tv off! I thought I was
going crazy the first week. It took me that long to figure it out.

Larry Moss wrote:

> On 2005-01-06, Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I think there is indeed something wrong somewhere. My
>>speakers are supposedly shielded from interference.
>>Whether my v551 is emitting illegal signals or the
>>speakers are sub-standard, there is something wrong.
>>The hourly crackling interference is extremely annoying
>>(particularly with that movie "white Noise" coming out...
>>yikes!).
>

> I think this is the only really annoying thing I've run into since
> switching to Cingular a couple months ago. I get the same thing. I meant
> to post about it as well. I don't think you can blame the speakers since I
> hear it on my office speakers, my living room equipment, and my car stereo.
> All, while not top of the line, are decent systems and in excellent shape I
> don't know if it's the v551 that has an issue, or if it is indeed something
> unavoidable with GSM.

January 9, 2005 6:20:35 PM

I think that this has something to do with the system and GSM.

When I had Sprint, I never had this happen. Now that I have AT&T with
a Morotola V505 and A630, it happens about once an hour or so and also
when I have an incoming phone call.

I work in a public saftey communications center and the entire system
is well shileded and it still happens. I just have to make sure that
the phone is at least 3 feet away from the speakers to minimize (note
it does not eleminate it) what is coming over them. An interesting
note is that the interference does not get recorded on the numerous
recorders that we have.

Scott

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:20:34 GMT, Dave <davids1955@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I have the same situation with my new Treo 600. Static sporatically from
>my TV and radio speakers even with the radio and tv off! I thought I was
>going crazy the first week. It took me that long to figure it out.
>
>Larry Moss wrote:
>
>> On 2005-01-06, Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I think there is indeed something wrong somewhere. My
>>>speakers are supposedly shielded from interference.
>>>Whether my v551 is emitting illegal signals or the
>>>speakers are sub-standard, there is something wrong.
>>>The hourly crackling interference is extremely annoying
>>>(particularly with that movie "white Noise" coming out...
>>>yikes!).
>>

>> I think this is the only really annoying thing I've run into since
>> switching to Cingular a couple months ago. I get the same thing. I meant
>> to post about it as well. I don't think you can blame the speakers since I
>> hear it on my office speakers, my living room equipment, and my car stereo.
>> All, while not top of the line, are decent systems and in excellent shape I
>> don't know if it's the v551 that has an issue, or if it is indeed something
>> unavoidable with GSM.

Three cheersm Kerry lost!
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:01:27 PM

I've been getting the same thing here at work. I've also noticed that
the wireless net connection drops off several times a day. After a
minute or so it will reconnect. I'm wondering if it's some kind of
interference from the phone. Maybe GSM interferes with 802.11b?

-GS

On 6 Jan 2005 08:59:39 -0800, "Digital Puer"
<digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I just got a Motorola v551 phone. For some reason, my computer
>speakers are picking up some odd interference every hour or so
>from the phone. The interference comes out as a series of
>crackles, maybe 5-6 crackles. The same thing happens when I
>boot up the phone. Granted my speakers are about 4 years old
>(cheapo Altec Lansing 340 from Dell purchase) but I have
>never had this problem.
>
>Does anyone know what's going on? I never had this problem
>with my old Motorola StarTac on Sprint.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 8:17:04 PM

GSM doesn't interfere with 802.11b (absent serious radio malfunction).
Something else is going on.

In <3n9vv01dj2kinqb57h5o7pp1esmggse5iu@4ax.com> on Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:01:27
-0500, Ygar <ygar01@excite.com> wrote:

>I've been getting the same thing here at work. I've also noticed that
>the wireless net connection drops off several times a day. After a
>minute or so it will reconnect. I'm wondering if it's some kind of
>interference from the phone. Maybe GSM interferes with 802.11b?

>On 6 Jan 2005 08:59:39 -0800, "Digital Puer"
><digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I just got a Motorola v551 phone. For some reason, my computer
>>speakers are picking up some odd interference every hour or so
>>from the phone. The interference comes out as a series of
>>crackles, maybe 5-6 crackles. The same thing happens when I
>>boot up the phone. Granted my speakers are about 4 years old
>>(cheapo Altec Lansing 340 from Dell purchase) but I have
>>never had this problem.
>>
>>Does anyone know what's going on? I never had this problem
>>with my old Motorola StarTac on Sprint.

February 2, 2005 4:36:43 AM

Ygar wrote:
> I've been getting the same thing here at work. I've also noticed that
> the wireless net connection drops off several times a day. After a
> minute or so it will reconnect. I'm wondering if it's some kind of
> interference from the phone. Maybe GSM interferes with 802.11b?
>
> -GS

Someone was reporting that a software glitch would cause signal resets
and that rebooting the phone once a day should dramatically reduce (if
not eliminate) the problems associated with it. I think it was the
V5551, V180, V220, and a couple of other ones.

TH
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 2:20:26 PM

Sorry John, your wrong , ever since I got the v551, and I have it
next to the netgear wireless router WGT624, in my office, every hour,
the router will make buzzing noises for about 5 seconds, now wether
or not this is a software glitch, which Moto is NOT going to admit,
is beyond me, But when the phone is not in the office no buzzing
noise happens.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 8:47:32 AM

"Michael3977" <mbarnum@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry John, your wrong , ever since I got the v551, and I have it
> next to the netgear wireless router WGT624, in my office, every hour,
> the router will make buzzing noises for about 5 seconds, now wether
> or not this is a software glitch, which Moto is NOT going to admit,
> is beyond me, But when the phone is not in the office no buzzing
> noise happens.

This is not a Motorola software issue. Both my previous Sony Ericsson T68i
and 226 as well as my current Moto V551 produce buzzing noises when anywhere
near a speaker system such as the company's conference room speaker phone,
the radio in my car or my PC speakers. The buzzing will always occur just
before an incoming call and occasionally at random. I am assuming the random
occurrences are due to some data transfer from the cell tower to the phone.
I have heard from others that this is an artifact of GSM/GPRS phones.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:56:54 PM

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Michael3977" <mbarnum@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry John, your wrong , ever since I got the v551, and I have it
>> next to the netgear wireless router WGT624, in my office, every hour,
>> the router will make buzzing noises for about 5 seconds, now wether
>> or not this is a software glitch, which Moto is NOT going to admit,
>> is beyond me, But when the phone is not in the office no buzzing
>> noise happens.
>>

> This is not a Motorola software issue. Both my previous Sony Ericsson T68i
> and 226 as well as my current Moto V551 produce buzzing noises when
> anywhere near a speaker system such as the company's conference room
> speaker phone, the radio in my car or my PC speakers. The buzzing will
> always occur just before an incoming call and occasionally at random. I am
> assuming the random occurrences are due to some data transfer from the
> cell tower to the phone. I have heard from others that this is an artifact
> of GSM/GPRS phones.
>
> Cheers
> TC

By Jove, TC, you've got it!! Mine works the same. The phone is transmitting
and the RF is getting into the speakers. Just like a CB (children's band)
radio will do to a PA system.

bamp
March 5, 2005 11:30:36 AM

A CB radio is not for children. It is serious business. It is what
keeps our truckers awake and alive and safe.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 9:04:07 AM

"Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote in message
>A CB radio is not for children. It is serious business. It is what
> keeps our truckers awake and alive and safe.

That, Jolt Cola and a couple of dexidrine.

TC
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 3:04:54 AM

GSM handsets do that. Beep-beep-beep-beeep-beeep------ beeeeep-beeeep,
somewhere around 280 Hz if I guess right.

--
The TSA is a test. It is only a test......
"Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857.

Hi,
fwiw
My old nextel i85 (motorola) would buzz on my computer speakers before
it rang -- and other times-- never monitored the time cycle

My v551 does the same before a ring and intermittently (may be hourly)
Question is is this a motorola problem or does it happen with other phones?

Bad shielding on speakers -- bad shielding on phone
kind like the old days when the vac or electric shaver would make the
B&W tv pic and sound go to hell

Nothing new under the sun-- just reincarnated as a another technical goof up

If this is any comparison ( and I by no means being technical)
Used to get the same kind of thing on my stereo--- cab radio
Phono cartridge was the culprit, try different carts-- grounding schemes
lifted and stared ground to one point
only way I ever fixed that was I moved
RF interference can be hell--- especially when you invest big bucks
in stereo

oops speakers buzzed Time 7:06 PM
Sorry for the rant----Aint technology wonderful

Mark

no.one@no.gov wrote:
> GSM handsets do that. Beep-beep-beep-beeep-beeep------ beeeeep-beeeep,
> somewhere around 280 Hz if I guess right.
>
> On 3 Mar 2005 11:20:26 -0800, "Michael3977" <mbarnum@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Sorry John, your wrong , ever since I got the v551, and I have it
>>next to the netgear wireless router WGT624, in my office, every hour,
>>the router will make buzzing noises for about 5 seconds, now wether
>>or not this is a software glitch, which Moto is NOT going to admit,
>>is beyond me, But when the phone is not in the office no buzzing
>>noise happens.
>>

> --
> The TSA is a test. It is only a test......
> "Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857.
> John Bartley, K7AAY, PDX OR USA, Opinions mine.
March 19, 2005 4:39:00 AM

this is due to the modulation method. Cingular uses GSM and Nextel uses
IDEN, of which both are iterations of TDMA. The buzzing is heard when the
cycle index (time slot) is active in the phone due to an incoming call or a
system request of mobile unit, i.e. system query. basically the system
periodically asks the phone "are you still there" and/or if the carrier is
doing an OTA

RJ

<no.one@no.gov> wrote in message
> GSM handsets do that. Beep-beep-beep-beeep-beeep------ beeeeep-beeeep,
> somewhere around 280 Hz if I guess right.
>
> On 3 Mar 2005 11:20:26 -0800, "Michael3977" <mbarnum@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Sorry John, your wrong , ever since I got the v551, and I have it
> >next to the netgear wireless router WGT624, in my office, every hour,
> > the router will make buzzing noises for about 5 seconds, now wether
> >or not this is a software glitch, which Moto is NOT going to admit,
> >is beyond me, But when the phone is not in the office no buzzing
> >noise happens.
> >

> --
> The TSA is a test. It is only a test......
> "Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and
these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or
with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those
whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857.
> John Bartley, K7AAY, PDX OR USA, Opinions mine.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 5:07:53 AM

Mark:

Well, if I may add a story from very early 70's...

An IBM 1620 computer in our high school (Niskayuna Class of '73, btw) had
radio on top. Someone realized that when adding or subtracting numbers
the
radio, when "tuned" to the best frequency, would receive a tone. When the
length of the numbers was increased a different tone was emitted.

Believe it or not but he was able to write music basing the sound on
adding
or subtracting numbers of different lengths.

Bob Lally.

"Mark Rosen" <onthemark@fusemail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> fwiw
> My old nextel i85 (motorola) would buzz on my computer speakers before
> it rang -- and other times-- never monitored the time cycle
>
> My v551 does the same before a ring and intermittently (may be hourly)
> Question is is this a motorola problem or does it happen with other
phones?

> Bad shielding on speakers -- bad shielding on phone
> kind like the old days when the vac or electric shaver would make the
> B&W tv pic and sound go to hell
>
> Nothing new under the sun-- just reincarnated as a another technical
goof
up

> If this is any comparison ( and I by no means being technical)
> Used to get the same kind of thing on my stereo--- cab radio
> Phono cartridge was the culprit, try different carts-- grounding schemes
> lifted and stared ground to one point
> only way I ever fixed that was I moved
> RF interference can be hell--- especially when you invest big bucks
> in stereo
>
> oops speakers buzzed Time 7:06 PM
> Sorry for the rant----Aint technology wonderful
>
> Mark
>

> no.one@no.gov wrote:
> > GSM handsets do that. Beep-beep-beep-beeep-beeep------ beeeeep-beeeep,
> > somewhere around 280 Hz if I guess right.
> >
> > On 3 Mar 2005 11:20:26 -0800, "Michael3977" <mbarnum@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Sorry John, your wrong , ever since I got the v551, and I have it
> >>next to the netgear wireless router WGT624, in my office, every
hour,
> >>the router will make buzzing noises for about 5 seconds, now wether
> >>or not this is a software glitch, which Moto is NOT going to admit,
> >>is beyond me, But when the phone is not in the office no buzzing
> >>noise happens.
> >>

> > --
> > The TSA is a test. It is only a test......
> > "Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and
these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or
with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those
whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857.
> > John Bartley, K7AAY, PDX OR USA, Opinions mine.

It has removed 1318 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:08:16 PM

And thats why IDENs go thru Batterys faster

sounds like the old ping to me --- stupid Iden phone sends out a ping
even when theres no tower----- wonder if it ever times out--
could be the reason Idens gothru batts--
I had to get a 2500 Mah

But know I have a V551-- and its damn hard to find a bat over 800 Mah
some 3rd party should make a 12-1500mah and a new back--- and save us all

Jesus Saves, Moses Invests, but only Buddha gives dividends
(no offense to any one)
and maybe some day we will be all delivered by properly designed
technology-- not just motorola -- but technology -- not marketing

Camera who needs a stinkin camera- already have a Canon Digital ie--
real digital camera plus all my old nikons
And Please no Ipod phone
You want Wallpaper --- the paint store is on the corner
Ring tones--- just some basics that are adjustable
like how many rings before voice mail
or voice mail notification that rings more than once
(Phones used to have these adjustments before they bacame toys)

Just Bluetooth, Internet and a good Battery ( and Full Blutooth (Data)
not just a gimmick to sell headphones and wire less speakers for you car
a nice medium end phone that works --- without the bullshit
Thats all I ask for -- Dont want to spend $500 plus for a damn phone
that will be obsolete faster than my PC
pay for ring tones--- marketing ploy-- and then have the balls to charge
you download them-- like Cing/sprint/veriz. etc arent getting a kick back
end of rant

Mark

RJ wrote:
> this is due to the modulation method. Cingular uses GSM and Nextel uses
> IDEN, of which both are iterations of TDMA. The buzzing is heard when the
> cycle index (time slot) is active in the phone due to an incoming call or a
> system request of mobile unit, i.e. system query. basically the system
> periodically asks the phone "are you still there" and/or if the carrier is
> doing an OTA
>
> RJ
>

> <no.one@no.gov> wrote in message
>
>>GSM handsets do that. Beep-beep-beep-beeep-beeep------ beeeeep-beeeep,
>>somewhere around 280 Hz if I guess right.
>>
>>On 3 Mar 2005 11:20:26 -0800, "Michael3977" <mbarnum@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Sorry John, your wrong , ever since I got the v551, and I have it
>>>next to the netgear wireless router WGT624, in my office, every hour,
>>>the router will make buzzing noises for about 5 seconds, now wether
>>>or not this is a software glitch, which Moto is NOT going to admit,
>>>is beyond me, But when the phone is not in the office no buzzing
>>>noise happens.
>>>

>>--
>>The TSA is a test. It is only a test......
>>"Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the
>
> exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and
> these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or
> with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those
> whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857.
>
>>John Bartley, K7AAY, PDX OR USA, Opinions mine.

August 2, 2005 2:05:40 PM

Those also can interfered with car radio too. I have one of those phone
it does when close to the car radio. I guess this normal.

--
Dotcom
August 2, 2005 8:33:13 PM

In <Dotcom.1t57ey@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:05:40
-0500, Dotcom <Dotcom.1t57ey@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>Those also can interfered with car radio too. I have one of those phone
>it does when close to the car radio. I guess this normal.

Normal with any GSM phone.

August 3, 2005 6:27:48 PM

news:D fNHe.6981$p%3.33868@typhoon.sonic.net...

> In <Dotcom.1t57ey@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:05:40
> -0500, Dotcom <Dotcom.1t57ey@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>
>>Those also can interfered with car radio too. I have one of those phone
>>it does when close to the car radio. I guess this normal.
>
> Normal with any GSM phone.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

I have noticed that my Boss' Treo 650 doesn't seem to generate the same
level of interference as my Moto V551.

TC
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:27:49 PM

Tony Clark wrote:
nterfered with car radio too. I have one of those phone
>>>it does when close to the car radio. I guess this normal.
>>
>>Normal with any GSM phone.
>>

> I have noticed that my Boss' Treo 650 doesn't seem to generate the same
> level of interference as my Moto V551.

Is it a GSM Treo? If it has the Verizon, Srint or Earthlink brand name
on it, then it's a CDMA Treo. Typically CDMA phones don't emit the same
kind of RF, and interference with other electronics is less noticeable
(though still present, and still detectable if you know what to look for).

It will be interesting to see what happens with UMTS phones. As they
will be utilizing WCDMA, their RFI characteristics might be less
intrusive, too.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
August 3, 2005 8:27:02 PM

> Is it a GSM Treo? If it has the Verizon, Srint or Earthlink brand name
> on it, then it's a CDMA Treo. Typically CDMA phones don't emit the same
> kind of RF, and interference with other electronics is less noticeable
> (though still present, and still detectable if you know what to look for).

What do you look for to notice CDMA2000 interference?

TH
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:36:52 PM

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> Tony Clark wrote:
> nterfered with car radio too. I have one of those phone
>>>
>>>Normal with any GSM phone.
>>>

>> I have noticed that my Boss' Treo 650 doesn't seem to generate the same
>> level of interference as my Moto V551.
>
> Is it a GSM Treo? If it has the Verizon, Srint or Earthlink brand name on
> it, then it's a CDMA Treo. Typically CDMA phones don't emit the same kind
> of RF, and interference with other electronics is less noticeable (though
> still present, and still detectable if you know what to look for).
>
> It will be interesting to see what happens with UMTS phones. As they will
> be utilizing WCDMA, their RFI characteristics might be less intrusive,
> too.
>

> --

Nope, it's a Cingular Treo. We have a Polycom speaker phone in our
conference room and it practically howls when someone's GSM/GPRS phone is
about to ring, except for the Treo. Not sure why.

Cheers
TC
!