Sign in with
Your question

Cloning windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
December 2, 2009 8:42:50 AM

Hi all,

I am making one tool that clone windows 7.

After cloning If I boot my cloned hard drive one booting time error message arise and windows does not boot. The message is " Winload.exe is missing". I know that same kind of problem arise in case of windows Vista. But after running some bcdedit commands the problem was resolved for vista. But in case of Windows 7 the problem is still on.

After some research I found that Windows 7 depends on Disk Signature. As we know that each Disk Drive has disk signature and that is unique for each hard drive that is connected to machine. I did one thing, I change the disk signature of Cloned Disk as that is of my Source Disk and shut down the machine, after unplugging my source disk I boot from cloned hard disk and I am surprised that it is booting smoothly.

Now the problem is that I am not able to boot my machine with Cloned hard disk if Source disk is also connected.

My questions are-

1- Does windows 7 depends on Disk Signature?
2- How can I change disk Signature of Cloned Disk so It will boot smoothly?

Waiting for ur guidence

Madan

More about : cloning windows

a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2009 11:09:02 AM

What tool are you using to clone?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2009 5:26:49 PM

"Now the problem is that I am not able to boot my machine with Cloned hard disk if Source disk is also connected"
Why would you want to have both the copy and the original drive with OS running at the same time without wiping it first?
The idea of cloning is to be able to replace the original drive with another or to restore the image back if needed.
If you just want it for backup, disconect it and run one at a time.
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2009 6:51:36 AM

Hi all,

Anyways thanks for your replies. I am making my own cloning tool not using that of any other.

I got the solution after some research.

If anyone has some kind of query I will try to give answer and I welcome that.

Thanks
Madan
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 3, 2009 8:04:18 AM

Good luck with your tool, I hope it does well :D  .

Having said that, Windows 7 does have built in cloning tool, is called Backup and Restore. it will back-up your complete OS in to another HD (or partition) and allows you to create bootable CD/DVD.

If for some reason your system got corrupted, you press F8 at start-up and select Repair Computer, then Restore from Image. Or if the system was totally corrupted you would use the bootable CD/DVD to restore your cloned-image. Is quite impressive, no need to use Acronis or Ghost.

m
l
January 19, 2010 11:02:47 PM

Hi!

I have the same problem. I've tried everything. Can you share your tool Madan? i really need it badly.

regards
Jewn
m
l
January 28, 2010 5:14:06 AM

cool_burn20 said:
Hi!

I have the same problem. I've tried everything. Can you share your tool Madan? i really need it badly.

regards
Jewn

Hi,

What problem are you facing please describe in some details?
Are you making some kind of tool to clone HDrive?

Thanks
Madan
m
l
September 19, 2011 9:56:16 AM

Try this:
when both disks in the system, and the old disk is the boot. boot to windows 7.
click on the start botton.
type in the search box: "cmd" without the quote.
then right click and select "run as administrator"
after the command prompt is open type "diskpart" without the quote, then press enter.
type "list disk" without the quote, then press enter. you will see a list of disk(s) you probably have only those 2.
type "select disk 0" without the quote, then press enter.
type "uniqueid disk" without the quote, then press enter.
you should see the drive signature. a sequence of 8 characters.
something like: disk ID:AFF45C23
write down this signature.
type "select disk 1" without the quote, then press enter.
type "uniqueid disk ID=<signature you wrote down>" without the quote, then press enter.
for example:
uniqueid disk ID=AFF45C23
type "exit" then press enter.

connect the new drive only, windows should boot from the new drive.

m
l
September 19, 2011 10:03:23 AM

Please do realize the thread is nearly 2 years old.
m
l
!