Looking for Pocket PC text editor for large ASCII files --..

August 18, 2005 2:59:03 AM

Hello,

QUESTION: Do you know, can you recommend any editor for Pocket PC
capable of loading and searching very large ASCII text files (16
MBytes)?

I have a Hewlett Packard iPaq HX4750 Pocket PC running Windows I'm
trying to load a very large ASCII text file. I need only need the
capability to search the file for strings, I don't need to edit the
file. The file is very large, however, aproximately 16 MBytes
(16000 KBytes).

Pocket Word fails miserably on this file as it truncates any file to
8186 lines, and my file has aprox. 110,000 lines.

(I can load and search the file on Windows XP using Notepad there,
however, but that doesn't help me as I need to have the file available
on the PocketPC for searching.)

Other PocketPC editors I have found on the Web and tried also fail on
files that large.

QUESTION: Do you know, can you recommend any editor supposed to be
capable of loading and searching such large ASCII text files (16
MBytes)?

THanks for your help.

Wolfgang,
Santa Barbara, California
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:30:27 AM

might look at tomeraider for the pocketpc

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:42:15 PM

<mot12345@alexandria.ucsb.edu> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> QUESTION: Do you know, can you recommend any editor for Pocket PC
> capable of loading and searching very large ASCII text files (16
> MBytes)?

Tomeraider would be my choice. TR has a compressed file format (saving
space for text), offers fast seaches, and 16 mb is a walk in the park for
it - I have several files that exceed 200 mb+, with one about 1 gb. And yes
it works fine on the PPC.

If 16mb is the largest you plan to use then Mobibook should be able to
handle it for viewing, but searches will be painful.
August 18, 2005 8:13:41 PM

Thanks for all answers and the TomeRaider recommendation. If someone
out there knows yet other solutions for reading/searching large plain
text files on a PocketPC (greater than 20 MBytes, or so), please let me
know.

I downloaded a TomeRaider trial version from
http://www.tomeraider.com/inde x2.html
and installed it on on the PocketPC; also installed it on a Windows XP
machine.

Alas, I'm lost using TomeRaider with reading a plain text file and
there seem to be no instructions, online or elsewhere, on how to read a
plain text file.
!!! How can something so seemingly simple turn out to be so
frustrating?

I tried to import my text file using TomeRaider on Windows XP, thinking
that this would turn it into a *.tr3 or *.tr2 file that I could then
move to the iPaq pocket PC, but no luck.
When I try to import a plain ASCII text file into TomeRaider, I get an
error message
"Fatal Error", tool execution cancelled by the user.

Does anyone out there with TomeRaider experience have any idea what
this error means.

Can anyone out there with TomeRaider experience give me any clues on
how to read/search plain text files with TomeReader (*.txt file greater
20MB, or so)?

Thanks,
Wolfgang
Santa Barbara, CA
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:19:32 PM

You might try emacs - http://www.rainer-keuchel.de/wince/emacs-wince.html

Dale

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

>> ppc emacs <<

Wow... neat!

"Perfect Writer" (which was based on Emacs) was my primary text editor
from 1983 on a CP/M machine til around 1998... looking forward to
finding out how this translates to the ppc. My finger muscles still
know the commands ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!