Need help doing a full backup of System with no WinXP CD

I bought a HP computer with Win XP home installed. It did not come with a Win
XP home CD so I don not have access to the backup program that is included on
the disk. HP won't help me. I upgraded from a Win 98 system and I had no
idea when I bought the system I would not be receiving a Operating System CD
as I had in the past.

Can someone tell me how to get the windows backup program? If not is their
an inexpensive backup program that I can buy to do the job.

signed living dangerously.
5 answers Last reply
More about need full backup system winxp

    Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "glo" wrote:

    | I bought a HP computer with Win XP home installed. It did not come with a Win
    | XP home CD so I don not have access to the backup program that is included on
    | the disk. HP won't help me. I upgraded from a Win 98 system and I had no
    | idea when I bought the system I would not be receiving a Operating System CD
    | as I had in the past.
    |
    | Can someone tell me how to get the windows backup program? If not is their
    | an inexpensive backup program that I can buy to do the job.
    |
    | signed living dangerously.

    Your HP Computer has a hidden partition with a restore image on it. In
    addition, there is software on the computer that will allow you to make a
    restore CD set. It was in the Quick Setup Poster that came with the
    computer. It is also in the Owners Manual that came with the computer. In
    addition, you were promted on the screen when you activated the computer to
    make the back up set. I suggest you check the above references and make the
    Restore Set now.

    By law, all computers sold in the U.S. must have a way of restoring the
    computer to "factory state". Yours is no exception.

    Bobby

    "glo" <glo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a HP computer with Win XP home installed. It did not come with a
    >Win
    > XP home CD so I don not have access to the backup program that is included
    > on
    > the disk. HP won't help me. I upgraded from a Win 98 system and I had no
    > idea when I bought the system I would not be receiving a Operating System
    > CD
    > as I had in the past.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to get the windows backup program? If not is their
    > an inexpensive backup program that I can buy to do the job.
    >
    > signed living dangerously.

    If you intend to do a full backup, then the Windows backup program your
    looking for will be of no help.

    "glo" <glo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I bought a HP computer with Win XP home installed. It did not come with a
    Win
    XP home CD so I don not have access to the backup program that is included
    on
    the disk. HP won't help me. I upgraded from a Win 98 system and I had no
    idea when I bought the system I would not be receiving a Operating System CD
    as I had in the past.

    Can someone tell me how to get the windows backup program? If not is their
    an inexpensive backup program that I can buy to do the job.

    signed living dangerously.

    That's useful. "It doesn't work" and no suggestions for alternatives.

    I use Acronis TrueImage
    (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) for $50.
    Other's use Ghost/DriveImage from Symantec
    (http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/) for about $60.

    Brian Bygland

    "DUH" <anyone@spam.com> wrote in message
    > If you intend to do a full backup, then the Windows backup program
    your
    > looking for will be of no help.
    >
    > "glo" <glo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I bought a HP computer with Win XP home installed. It did not come
    with a
    > Win
    > XP home CD so I don not have access to the backup program that is
    included
    > on
    > the disk. HP won't help me. I upgraded from a Win 98 system and I
    had no
    > idea when I bought the system I would not be receiving a Operating
    System CD
    > as I had in the past.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to get the windows backup program? If not is
    their
    > an inexpensive backup program that I can buy to do the job.
    >
    > signed living dangerously.

    I certainly wouldn't entertain using the backup application supplied with
    Windows. It is far better to create an 'image' of the drive with Norton
    Ghost. I have two hard drives on my machine and use one of them for backup.
    all i do is image my operating systems to the backup drive. As a 'fail safe'
    i also copy the image to a dvd.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "glo" <glo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a HP computer with Win XP home installed. It did not come with a
    >Win
    > XP home CD so I don not have access to the backup program that is included
    > on
    > the disk. HP won't help me. I upgraded from a Win 98 system and I had no
    > idea when I bought the system I would not be receiving a Operating System
    > CD
    > as I had in the past.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to get the windows backup program? If not is their
    > an inexpensive backup program that I can buy to do the job.
    >
    > signed living dangerously.

Backup Hewlett Packard CD-Rom Windows XP