Sign in with
Your question

Vista SP1 dropped DVD drive - fix?

Last response: in Windows Vista
October 21, 2008 2:53:41 PM

Hi all,

My wife has a Gateway FX7206 with the Optiarc DVD drive. The recent Vista SP1 install does not recognize the DVD drive anymore. Gateway Tech Support was of no help. Anyone have any links or solutions?

Thanks,
Old Man
October 23, 2008 5:51:24 PM

Ive Installed Windows Vista 64 on my new PC, a AMD 9950 Phenom, now heres the thing. I installed Visa No problems at all with this SATA DVD drive i currently have in the unit now

But the DVD Drive, now no longer works under Vista, the bios see's the Drive, But Vista dose not, i started having problems not long after instalation of Vista 64 (yes ive used Vista befor, installed on a almost idential pc, accept the DVD drive was IDE not Sata)

The DvD drive started to wig out when i was inatalling Age of Conan, the instalation took almost 3 hours from the DVD. only to thow up a message, that i had the wrong Disk/Volume installed even thou it spent 3 hours reading the disk. The drive has compleatly refused to work under windows since then, there is no drive listed in device manager other than my SATA Hard drive....

Please help, as having No form of optical drive is crippling my ability to use my PC
m
l
October 23, 2008 5:53:55 PM

(PS I have the SP1 version of windows Vista Home Premium)
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2008 7:04:45 PM

Hey man, that's very interesting. The same thing happened to me with xp on my laptop after a routine windows update, and my family's home pc which runs vista home premium. The laptop i coped with, and the pc i did a complete reinstall. Seems to happen a lot wwith windows. There must be a way to recover it without reinstalling.
m
l
October 23, 2008 10:44:47 PM

Since there are two people working here
1) Have you tried to look in device manager and see if it shows up there. If so delete it and windows should redetect it.
For dangfoo try to unplug it and reboot. Then shutdown replug it and boot up.

For both if this fails goto add new hardware and see if that finds it.
If not then use add hardware again but do not use the auto detect and install it manually by choosing from a list that it will give you.
m
l
October 23, 2008 11:24:52 PM

non of the sujestions work
m
l
October 24, 2008 2:01:28 AM

Hi folks,

We had luck, so far, by following a suggestion from the microsoft tech forums. It involved removing a registry entry for the DVD drive and rebooting. So far the DVD drive has reappeared and is usable.

Regards
Old Man
m
l
October 24, 2008 5:34:25 PM

got a link to that MS FaQ Old man?
m
l
October 25, 2008 8:54:44 PM

Sounds like this one

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?posti...

Trying to figure out why Vista suddenly decides it wants drivers for a device that the disk has been running off for 15mins throughout the (painfully slow) installation.

Apparantly a Firmware update isnt the way forward, its to do with the way the mobo controls the drive.

Anyway my prob is on install and this thread is about post-install probs but i figured it may help to understand how Vista works.

Or doesnt work.
m
l
November 7, 2008 5:58:15 PM

itunes causes that problem alot aswell , if you have multiple burning softwares. ( for oldman)
m
l
November 14, 2008 2:59:23 AM

dangfoo said:
non of the sujestions work

You said your optical drive is SATA interface.

I had a similar situation trying to run my setup with my SATA HDD on SATA1, SATA DVDRW on SATA2.

That didn't want to work for some reason maybe those headers are RAID dedicated on my particular M/B.

I Moved the SATA DVDRW to SATA4 header, left the SATA HDD on SATA1 header and its worked fine since.
m
l
November 14, 2008 1:27:40 PM

dangfoo said:
Ive Installed Windows Vista 64 on my new PC, a AMD 9950 Phenom, now heres the thing. I installed Visa No problems at all with this SATA DVD drive i currently have in the unit now

But the DVD Drive, now no longer works under Vista, the bios see's the Drive, But Vista dose not, i started having problems not long after instalation of Vista 64 (yes ive used Vista befor, installed on a almost idential pc, accept the DVD drive was IDE not Sata)

The DvD drive started to wig out when i was inatalling Age of Conan, the instalation took almost 3 hours from the DVD. only to thow up a message, that i had the wrong Disk/Volume installed even thou it spent 3 hours reading the disk. The drive has compleatly refused to work under windows since then, there is no drive listed in device manager other than my SATA Hard drive....

Please help, as having No form of optical drive is crippling my ability to use my PC

What mobo are you using , my last asus mobo couldnt support raid + sata so when I had my raptors in raid 0 , it couldnt use the other ports as sata , so the drive functioned half way , so for that mobo I had to use ide , also if nothing has worked thus far have you tried it in another unit recently , it may of died.
m
l
!