New Built PC Slow and Does Not Play DVD's!

etopsflight

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
I have just built the following system

Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe
CPU: Intel E6700
RAM: G-Skill 2 x 1GB 6400 CL4
Graphics: XFX 8600 GTS
PSU: Cooler Master iGreen 500W
HDD: Seagate 320GB 16MB
Writer: Pioneer DVR-212
Monitor: Samsung SynMaster 226BW
Case: 2 The Max 7689E Middle Tower
Case Fans: 3 x 12cm Cooler Master TLF-S12-EB-GP w/ Blue LED

I am having problems playing DVD. I get the following message -

'Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.'

I have installed all the right drivers but still cannot play DVD's.

To make matters worse, the whole system is sluggish. I'm guessing that there is a display problem; related to the aforementioned.

Is diagnosis correct and more important - how do I rectify this problem?

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I'm not sure myself, but have you installed all the related drivers (motherboard etc?) Is there any yellow mark in device manager? Your dvd-drv or gfx card, weren't they usually bundled with Cyberlink PowerDVD or sth like that? If yes, then install and use them instead of WMP

etopsflight

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Thanks guys!

I've reinstalled all drivers and the pc pefromance is much better albeit not perfect.

I did forget to mention one thing, during installation of the graphics card driver, it failed the windows logo testing but i carried on with the installation. Does this have any affect on the working of the driver and overall peformance of the graphics card?

Also, can anybody recommend a free dvd decoder since I can still not play DVD's.

Cheers!