What's a PhsyX card???

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
You mean other then a waste of money?

I was going to post the exact samething!

It's more then likely that with advent of DX10 video cards and quad core CPU's phyics calcualtions will either be delt with by the CPU or delt with via your graphics cards. Either way it's bad news for companies that have developed stand alone phyics cards.

ROBO_DUDE

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
thanks very much for the info!! he he im happy we have a lot of smart persons to ask on how to wast our money in the right way!hehehe

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
A physics card was an experiment that was too far ahead of the technology curve of its time to have any usefull purpose... The same features have been incorporated into the latest generations of GPU's, making it now practically redundant.

This is not to say that in the future it won't prove important, but at present it is just a waste of cash for most users.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
but at present it is just a waste of cash for most users.

But that dosent mean that Youtube isnt full of idiots showing off their 'PhysX rigs', or that they and their friends will debate u over how usefull the PhysX card is saying stuff like "my's games runs faster with the physx card(s)" and the ever popular "when the gpu first came out ppl thought it was useless aswell".
I wish they were dead, much like Christians.

iSt-Karma

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007

But that dosent mean that Youtube isnt full of idiots showing off their 'PhysX rigs', or that they and their friends will debate u over how usefull the PhysX card is saying stuff like "my's games runs faster with the physx card(s)" and the ever popular "when the gpu first came out ppl thought it was useless aswell".

1stly: i am sorry to say this and look like a idiot, u f**king stanistic f**king jew, your going to hell dont bring religion into things idiot.

2ndly: if you have the cash to waste then get it.

3rdly: It probebly can be usefull if they made the games to support it.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I own one, and at the moment it's basically useless aside from Cell Factor, which should NOT warrant the purchase of this card. Maybe when UT3 comes out it'll be worthwhile as Epic has said many times they plan on supporting the card, but you should really wait until the game is available to make the decision.

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
wow why are we taking religion in to this, who cares what the other person believes in , or more exactly what they think about the other religion,
also calling him a jew , is saying its a bad thing if he is , which kinda makes you like him for insulting his religion, WHO GIVES FU#K

jordanwise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
[/quote]

I wish they were dead, much like Christians.[/quote]

As a christian and a family guy enthusiast, i found that halarious. Don't report him

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007

1stly: i am sorry to say this and look like a idiot, u f**king stanistic f**king jew, your going to hell dont bring religion into things idiot.

Calling him a "f**king stanistic f**king jew" leads me to doubt that you have any right to judge when you yourself have just insulted an entire religion in much the same way he did. You are just as bad.

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006

exactly what i said

Calling him a "f**king stanistic f**king jew" leads me to doubt that you have any right to judge when you yourself have just insulted an entire religion in much the same way he did. You are just as bad.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
The forums, believe it or not, ARENT about flaming people. Don't get on my back because someone else took things too far. This is about a PHYSICS CARD, not about bashing religion(s). So yes, I will report anybody who doesn't abide by the forum rules, I'm sick of people who do nothing but flame and instigate personal attacks on other forum members. Anybody disagree with me on this?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
As the first 2 replies stated, a waste of money. Croc said it was ahead of its time, but relative to CPU capability, it was behind. As THG review of the Ageia PhsyX Cell Factor demo shows here

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/19/is_ageias_physx_failing/page3.html

the card is NOT required by the game itself, but rather, administratively...in short, a gimmick to sell unneeded hardware.

With todays multicore CPUs, an extra processing unit on a PCI slot is as useful as teats on a bull.

The below results illustrate tests of ageia phsyX. The tests show performance with and without the phsyX card. You can see theres not a lot of improvement. More importantly to gaming, where particle physics are concerned, is the fact that the tests are using reasonable GPUs but some older, less capable system components, i.e DDR400 and a single core CPU:

Processor(s) AMD Athlon 64 FX-60
2.6 GHz, 1.0 GHz HTT Link, 1MB L2 cache
Platform Asus AN832-SLI Premium
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI, BIOS version 1205
RAM Corsair CMX1024-4400Pro
2x 1024 MB @ DDR400 (CL3.0-4-4-8)
Hard Drive Western Digital Raptor, WD1500ADFD
150 GB, 10,000 RPM 16 MB cache, SATA150
Networking On-Board nForce4 Gigabit Ethernet
Graphics Cards XFX GeForce 7950GX2,1 GB GDDR3
570 MHz Core clock
700 MHz Memory clock (1.4 GHz DDR)

PNY GeForce 7900 GTX, 512 MB GDDR3
675 MHz Core clock
820 MHz Memory clock (1.64 GHz DDR)

Connect3D Radeon X1900XTX, 512 MB GDDR3
650 MHz Core clock
775 MHz Memory clock (1.55 GHz DDR)

EVGA GeForce 6800GS CO SE, 256 MB GDDR3
450 MHz Core clock
525 MHz Memory clock (1.05 GHz DDR)

ATI Radeon X1900XTX, 256 MB GDDR3
520 MHz Core clock
540 MHz Memory clock (1.08 GHz DDR)

chart-cellfactor.gif

See the full article here: Is Ageia's PhysX Failing?

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
The problem you people have with add in cards is that they costs money, and all your skint asses can't afford it.

The problem is the power of CPU's is increasing exponentially (Intel are already testing 64 cores and 8 cores protoypes are out).

In a world where CPU power is increasing at 30% every few months, there's little call for a seperate physics card as a new CPU is both more powerful and often cheaper, and has the benefits of speeding up everything else on the pc as well.

Any doubts about the need for a Physics card are well and truly thrown in the bin (along with the card?) when you look at the Alan Wake Tornado demo. The physics issues are simply solved on a quad core processor by giving the tornado and entire CPU core to itself specifically to calculate the tornados physics:

Video: http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=15409

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
You mean other then a waste of money?

They are cards designed to take on caclulations related to phisycs like rendering fog or rendering teh way debrie flays through the air and bounces off objects. It was a nice idea but now that work is done on the video card. Also you will notice new high end motherboards have 3 PCI-e 16x slots. This allows you to run 3 video cards. 2 are for SLI and the 3rd handles your Physics. Very few games actually support those Physics cards.

Maybe i missed something, but while Nvidia and AMD have both been boasting about their Physics capabilities and despite the presence of the third PCIe slot, i have yet to see physics calculations on GPU basis for the consumer.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
The problem you people have with add in cards is that they costs money, and all your skint asses can't afford it.

The problem is the power of CPU's is increasing exponentially (Intel are already testing 64 cores and 8 cores protoypes are out).

In a world where CPU power is increasing at 30% every few months, there's little call for a seperate physics card as a new CPU is both more powerful and often cheaper, and has the benefits of speeding up everything else on the pc as well.

Any doubts about the need for a Physics card are well and truly thrown in the bin (along with the card?) when you look at the Alan Wake Tornado demo. The physics issues are simply solved on a quad core processor by giving the tornado and entire CPU core to itself specifically to calculate the tornados physics:

Video: http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=15409Where can you find a QX6700 for less than $150? Also, there's no way that demo is being run on a single core, or the physics system is not nearly as sophisticated as you think. The AGEIA PhysX card, like a GPU, is an FP monster in comparison to even the QX6700. Honestly though, I see Nvidia and ATI's GPU Physics solutions as the future for physics processing.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I didn't say the demo was run on a single core.

I said the tornados physics had an entire core to themselves with the rest of the game running on the ohter cores. That is most likely the way forwards.

As to the quad core question, Intel is dropping prices next month and quads start at $170 if I remember correctly.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I didn't say the demo was run on a single core.

I said the tornados physics had an entire core to themselves with the rest of the game running on the ohter cores. That is most likely the way forwards.

As to the quad core question, Intel is dropping prices next month and quads start at $170 if I remember correctly.
You're not remembering correctly; there were plans to drop the Q6600 to $266 in Q3.

TRENDING THREADS