So what is 64-bit vista like?

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
So It's been awhile since ive thought about changing operating systems. Ive been on XP 32-bit for years now, mostly for stability/compatibility.

Now the benefits of 64-bit (more ram, for my photoshop/quarkexpress work) and DX 10/10.1/11(for gaming obviously) are looming over my head and i think its time to dual boot xp-32bit/vista64?

I know nothing of vista 64 and have been avoiding it for some time now, any advice or thoughts or tips on using vista or setting up vista would be appreciated.

Vista is really quite fine and Vista 64 is quickly becoming the standard with support now approaching 100%.

The early Vista issues (which were greatly exaggerated by the anti-MS faction out there in the blogosphere) are essentially over.

Vista 64 is probably the number 1 choice now for new systems among enthusiasts around here and elsewhere, that tells you all you really need to know.

Vista 64 runs 32 software in a 32 bit mode so it pretty much runs everything 32 bit will run - there are a few pieces of software that must have 64 bit versions to run on 64 but these are few and far between and generally the 64 bit versions are available.

The only real advantage at this time is the ability to use your full 4 gig of RAM, or more, but with RAM so cheap 4 gig is quickly becoming standard issue and running 6 or 8 is also quite popular around here. In time more programs may be written to run natively in 64 bit and when that happens there may be some performance advantage to having 64 but not yet. I did hear however that the next photoshop may come in 64 bit - but I'm not sure.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/237818-44-should-vista

There are also a bunch of threads about this in the 'homebuilt' section.

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Actually I got another Question... Now that I want to try out vista, what version should i be getting? Ultimate, buisness, home? does it even make a difference? I know there were some important features in xp pro that were not in xp home.

For the record I have never purchased anything from microsoft. Mainly for one reason, their stupid licensing policy where after 3 hardware changes your cd-key becomes invalid. If that's still the same with vista i'm just gonna pirate it again.

I upgrade my PC too often for that policy.

Thanks in advance.

Well if you consider the features in XP Pro important to you, then you'll want either Business or Ultlimate. Business doesn't have Media Center and Ultimate includes all features from all other versions plus a couple of it's own. You have to decide if those features are worth it.