HDD Disk platters question help plz

genored

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
I was looking at 2 HD's Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 16MB 500GB with 3 Platters and Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 16MB 500GB With 4 Platters. My question is wich HD is best and what the diffrence when having 3 platters or 4 platters.

gagaga

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Generally, fewer platters mean:

1. It's a newer design as the aerial density is higher..
2. Fewer platters = higher speed because of (1)
3. Fewer platters = better reliability (less parts to go wrong)
4. Fewer platters = cooler running drive because motor smaller etc

So go for the one with 3 platters.

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
If two different HDDs have the same capacity (and if every of factor is equal), but one HDD has one less platter than the other, the HDD with the lesser amount of platters means it might have a slightly faster data transfer speed because of the high density of data.

hddlab

Distinguished
May 24, 2007

It's not true. Did you known about RAID 0-stripping? One data block split in 4 and write at the same time to 4 platters, it'll be more higher than split in 3 and write to 3 platters.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006

It's not true. Did you known about RAID 0-stripping? One data block split in 4 and write at the same time to 4 platters, it'll be more higher than split in 3 and write to 3 platters.

If only that were true. :?

Hard drives cannot and do not have the ability to read or write to multiple internal platters simultaneously. There is only one channel decoder chip on the hard drive's integrated electronics board, and it can only drive one head at a time.

Thus, higher data densities on fewer platters increase the transfer rate because more data is coming past the single head that is currently active.

RAID-0 can achieve higher transfer rates, but requires more than one drive. By the way, the term for RAID-0 is "striping", as in data is placed in a "stripe" across the drives in the array. "Stripping" is what the women down at the dance club do up on stage next to the pole. 8)

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
How fast can the strippers spin around that pole? Faster than my Raptors? Now I want to bring one back from the dance club and bench test her :D

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
How fast can the strippers spin around that pole? Faster than my Raptors? Now I want to bring one back from the dance club and bench test her :D

Strippers have a much lower RPM than Raptors.

However, at LAN parties, strippers will highlight your modded case far better than windowed Raptors will. 8) 8O :!:

hddlab

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
If only that were true. :?

Hard drives cannot and do not have the ability to read or write to multiple internal platters simultaneously. There is only one channel decoder chip on the hard drive's integrated electronics board, and it can only drive one head at a time.

Thus, higher data densities on fewer platters increase the transfer rate because more data is coming past the single head that is currently active.

RAID-0 can achieve higher transfer rates, but requires more than one drive. By the way, the term for RAID-0 is "striping", as in data is placed in a "stripe" across the drives in the array. "Stripping" is what the women down at the dance club do up on stage next to the pole. 8)
No, you's not understand what I want to tell you guy. I'm not mean that the task of HDD read/write seem the RAID 100%. I am Vietnamess so my English not so good for tell you exactly about HDD techinology, I'm sorry about that, but I want to give to @Babaghan the good choice. @SomeJoe7777, did you thing HDD Maxtor model 6E040L0-Code NAR61HA0, that have onlys one platter and one head, will be good than all other HDD that have 2 or 3 platter, with 4 or 6 head? Which one you'll choose?