Is my Vista cd key bound to a specific Bit rating?

Paincake

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
I couldn't find anything about my specific subject, so excuse me if its been ''over'' discussed or anything.

I've been told by many that I made a mistake by buying 32bit. And I guess I regret my purchase. I've been stuck with XP ever since because I didn't gain any benefit, the perfomance loss was not worth to keep using Vista.

I recently I asked a close relative of mine to make me a copy of his Vista home premium 64bit sample.

Is the registration cd key code from my purchased version, bound to the specific bit rating? Or can I just change this? I really hope I didn't waste my money here :(

Thanks in advance.

My system: XP home (Vista home premium 32bit dusted somewhere arround) Quad 6600, 8800GTS 512mb, 2GB ram. Willing to upgrade to 4GB if I get the opportunity to upgrade to 64bit.

I believe it's different with OEM... most OEM stickers I've seen specify 32 or 64-bit. Retail copies of Ultimate (Upgrade or full) come with the 64-bit DVD and with Home, you can order the disc for $10. However, when you buy OEM, you get either the 32-bit or 64-bit DVD with no option to buy the other.

As I said though, I may be mistaken.

Paincake

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008

I really hope so. Several articles in the net claim otherwise. So do the store clerks in my local hardware/software store. Starts to get a bit confusing when you hear different story's from different sides.

Paincake

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008

I would perform the formatting process eitherway :)

Paincake

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
I just contacted the microsoft helpdesk in my country. Apparently it shouldn't be a problem. They send forwarded me to a phone number to reqeust a copy. I have to pay a fee for postage of course. Well I hope everything works out, wish me luck :)

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
On the OEM subject, the reason that Microsoft's Alternate Media program to provide 64-bit install DVD doesn't accept OEM product keys is because the OEM is obligated to provide that kind of thing if the customer needs it. That's part of the OEM agreement (i.e. the OEM supports the customer, not Microsoft). Its not a 32-bit v. 64-bit thing.

TRENDING THREADS