windows restarted due to serious error

dg1935

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
ok... here's the details.

About a week ago & every am since then, I wake up to find my computer has restarted & the message popus says:

system has recovered from a serious error

error signature:

BCCode: 1000000a BCP1: 6B903AB3 BCP2: 00000002 BCP3: 00000001
BC[4: 8052BDB5 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 3_0 Product: 768_1

I click on the link to find more info & the page says, sorry we don't know what the problem is.

About 3 weeks ago I installed AVG Free 8.0 because my current Norton subscription had expired & didn't have the funds to renew it yet. Norton is still installed.

AVG found a malware & pup program, which I had it remove. All was fine until 2 weeks ago. I personally think it was after AVG did one of it's automatic updates.

I tried to remove AVG (since it was just a temp solution til I renew Norton) & during the process, the computer restarted & came up with the same error. Restarting the computer in Safe Mode & removing AVG was successful.

However, the restart issue is still there. I click on the error message link again, & it says it's related to antivirus software. I followed the directions the webpage (stopping multiple programs from running, etc.) but it gave me & the restart issue is still there. I didn't have this problem before installing AVG, so if I uninstall AVG, it should go away, right?

This morning, I tried to scan something using my HP PSC950 printer & the computer restarted. I've had the printer for 4 months with no problems. So now, is it AVG, Norton, my printer, all or none of them?

Does anyone have any suggestions that won't cost any money??

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
first I would goto run\msconfig and check what is on the startup list and turn off anything not required or may not have gotten correctly deleted when you made AVG go away.

I would then try to run a registry cleaner like ccleaner and see if that helps.
That most likely will solve it for you. It may just be a dead end entry in the registry.

Last I would consider the possibility of a conflict between the 2 antivirus programs. If norton was still installed even though not operational when you had AVG they could possibly see each other as a virus due to the way that they tag files to detect intrusions.
You might be wise to uninstall both of them run ccleaner and then reinstall the one that you are going to keep so that it can retag all the files when it runs a scan.