Problems converting .xls tp pocket excel

August 18, 2005 7:32:03 AM

Hi there, I am having trouble trying to sync an excel spreadsheet created in
Excel 2003 with my PDA running windows CE, the error I am getting is ...

Cannot convert file '<filename>'. This Microsoft Excel file was created in a
version of Microsoft Excel that is not supported by the selected converter.
The Pocket Excel converter can only convert Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 97 files.

do you know if there are any updates to the pocket excel converter so that
it can open Excel 2003 files
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:33:53 AM

try simply copying the file to your device or storage card.

In most cases, pocketexcel will open excel files with no problems unless
they use advanced excel features or password protection.

NOTE! if you open an excel file on the pocketpc with advanced features,
these features will be permanently removed from the ppc copy if any
changes are made, so, _assure_ that you have a backup copy of the
original on the pc!

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:38:19 PM

"LLoyd" <LLoyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 4C5EAEA-09F6-4039-A4C2-9DCEC4529382@microsoft.com...
> Hi there, I am having trouble trying to sync an excel spreadsheet created
> in
> Excel 2003 with my PDA running windows CE, the error I am getting is ...
>
> Cannot convert file '<filename>'. This Microsoft Excel file was created in
> version of Microsoft Excel that is not supported by the selected
> converter.
> The Pocket Excel converter can only convert Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 97
> files.
>
> do you know if there are any updates to the pocket excel converter so that
> it can open Excel 2003 files

Helio covered what I think is the problem, but as a reminder if you are
running mobile 2003 or later don't bother converting the format - the PPC
client will open XLS.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 18, 2005 12:38:20 PM

Thanks to all of you for your prompt responses. To clarify the version Of
Activesync is 3.8.0 (Build 5004)
I am using the Windows Mobile 2003 second edition OS

I am not trying to do a manual conversion of any kind I am simply copying
the spreadsheet created in Excel 2003 to the mobile device folder, activesync
kicks in and I get the conversion error. And just to clarify again, there are
no speacial features in the spreadsheet just raw data approx 45k

"xTenn" wrote:

> "LLoyd" <LLoyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 4C5EAEA-09F6-4039-A4C2-9DCEC4529382@microsoft.com...
> > Hi there, I am having trouble trying to sync an excel spreadsheet created
> > in
> > Excel 2003 with my PDA running windows CE, the error I am getting is ...
> >
> > Cannot convert file '<filename>'. This Microsoft Excel file was created in
> > version of Microsoft Excel that is not supported by the selected
> > converter.
> > The Pocket Excel converter can only convert Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 97
> > files.
> >
> > do you know if there are any updates to the pocket excel converter so that
> > it can open Excel 2003 files
>
> Helio covered what I think is the problem, but as a reminder if you are
> running mobile 2003 or later don't bother converting the format - the PPC
> client will open XLS.

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:14:52 PM

again, the easiest way is to copy the files to the ppc.

If you don't want to do this, open activesync and
tools/options/rules/device... and desk... and disable the excel conversions.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:20:24 PM

> Thanks to all of you for your prompt responses. To clarify the version Of
> Activesync is 3.8.0 (Build 5004)
> I am using the Windows Mobile 2003 second edition OS
>
> I am not trying to do a manual conversion of any kind I am simply copying
> the spreadsheet created in Excel 2003 to the mobile device folder,
> activesync
> kicks in and I get the conversion error. And just to clarify again, there
> are
> no speacial features in the spreadsheet just raw data approx 45k

Then I would wholeheartedly suggest turning off the conversion filter for
XLS and let AS just copy the file over without conversion.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 7:23:19 PM

What is your version of Activesync?

If prior to 3.71, upgrade to 3.8 and check again.

--
Helio Diamant
MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

"LLoyd" <LLoyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 4C5EAEA-09F6-4039-A4C2-9DCEC4529382@microsoft.com...
> Hi there, I am having trouble trying to sync an excel spreadsheet created
> in
> Excel 2003 with my PDA running windows CE, the error I am getting is ...
>
> Cannot convert file '<filename>'. This Microsoft Excel file was created in
> version of Microsoft Excel that is not supported by the selected
> converter.
> The Pocket Excel converter can only convert Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 97
> files.
>
> do you know if there are any updates to the pocket excel converter so that
> it can open Excel 2003 files
December 22, 2009 6:56:31 AM

* Includes: MTS Converter, M2TS Converter, TS Converter, TP Converter, MOD Converter, TOD Converter, etc.

* Fast convert AVCHD to AVI, AVCHD to WMV, AVCHD to MP4, AVCHD to 3GP, AVCHD to 3G2, AVCHD to MOV, AVCHD to FLV, AVCHD to MKV, AVCHD to SWF, AVCHD to MPG with excellent conversion quality.

* Convert AVCHD to iPod, iPhone, iPhone 3G, Apple TV, PSP, General 3GP mobile phone, BlackBerry, Zune, Creative Zen, iRiver, etc.

* Edit AVCHD video, trim, crop, merge, add special effects.

* Extract M4A/MP3/AAC/WAV audio file from AVCHD(MTS,M2TS,TS,TP),VOB,MPEG,MPG video file.

* Capture any picture from AVCHD(MTS,M2TS,TS,TP) video and save as JPEG, PNG or BMP format.

* Platform: Windows, Mac

More information: http://www.mts-video-converter.com

AVCHD Camcorders: Canon,Hitachi,JVC,Panasonic,Sony,Camcorder.

For Windows users:
http://www.mts-video-converter.com/AVCHDVideoConverter.exe

For Mac OS Users:
http://www.mts-video-converter.com/mac-avchd-converter.zip