Mixing Sticks? 667mhz

Saitek

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
:oops: what i've got is a set of ocz 667 1gig 2*512 @5-5-5-10 and another ocz set 2gig 2*1gig @4-4-4-12

:? now if i set the timmings for the 2gig set to match that of the 1 gig would that work. btw its all on a crosshair motherboard with a dual core A64 x2 3800.

thanks in advance! :D

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
The use of the memory depends on several factors.

1. Whether your motherboard will allow uneven sized sticks

2. Whether it will allow dual channel with uneven sized sticks the slower speed of single channel might not be worth the extra memory unless you are genuinely running out of free memory here

3. Specifically to the timings:

Take out the 1Gb stick and with the 2GB stick in alone set 4-4-4-10 timings. Boot and see if it works (check with memtest for errors). If it doesn't then you need to put the sticks in set at probably 5-5-5-12 to take account of the slowest timings of both sticks. If it does then try putting the 1Gb stick in alone at 4-4-4-10 and test as above. If it works, put both sticks in at 4-4-4-10 and check all is ok again. If it is, you've cracked it! If it doesn't run or returns error, again go to the fastest common set of timings ie. 5-5-5-12.

The reason I'm telling you to test them individually is it will show up any compatability problems eg if both work at a certain set of timings alone but won't work together you know theres a problem putting these sticks together.

Mondoman

Splendid
1 and 2 shouldn't be an issue on modern MBs. However, remember that all the RAM has to run at the same *voltage*, speed, and latency settings. As long as you can come up with one combination of voltage, speed and latencies that works for both sets of RAM, you'll be fine.

Saitek

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
8) Thanks guys i just finished digging up the specs for my ram and i'm gonna put this info to good use!

thanks again.