Installing Linux

montka

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hello,

I have tried to install Ubuntu linux 10 on an Easy Note F5281 HR laptop,
However after some loading screens but before any options come up the program freezes.
This is with the boot cd in the drive on startup with Windows XP still installed.

Local IT shop said there are different versions of Ubuntu dependent on what processor you have but I haven't seen mention of this on the Ubuntu site.

Could this be a hardware issue?

Thanks

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
It's odd, I can't really seem to find any information about that laptop, only offers to sell me replacement parts (batteries, screens, etc.)

Chances are that the 64-bit version on a 32-bit processor would fail to make any sort of progress booting, so likely this is some other issue. I would suggest trying a few different distros to see if they have similar problems, and also give the "alternative" ubuntu installer a try (just the installer is non-graphical, the system it installs will be graphical)

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
If it were a 64-bit version on a 32-bit processor, I don't think you would get anywhere, except maybe a grub screen. It's very probably drivers. I think this has one of the new Sandy Bridge chips in it (Core i3-2310M), but information on the laptop is very sketchy. Sandy Bridge out for a while before Intel got the video drivers to work in Linux.

Go to the Download Ubuntu page, and download the latest version (11.10). The 32-bit version is more likely to work. The 64-bit version will perform better, and work with more memory. You can use a CD/DVD-RW or USB stick and try 32-bit if 64-bit doesn't work without wasting disks.

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Out of curiosity what graphics card are you using? I had the same problem before with my NVIDIA graphics card and ubuntu and its subOS

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I've always tried to stick with NVIDIA. They have had the most consistent driver support, since around the time the GeForce line was first started. Unfortunately, Ubuntu hasn't always done the best job keeping up, and I don't think it always installed the drivers from NVIDIA with the OS, electing to start you with poor quality open source drivers.

On my computer, I'm using a GeForce 8600 GT on my system running Kubuntu 10.10 (Ubuntu w/ KDE) with Compiz. Version 11.04 was too buggy, and I haven't had time to upgrade to version 11.10.

On another computer with a GeForce 210, I just set up Kubuntu 11.10. Version 10.04 would not detect my network card.