Sign in with
Your question

Installing linux mint with an Nvidia GT 240 not working on Desktop

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
October 15, 2011 5:10:59 PM

Like my title says I'm having trouble installing linux mint on my desktop. When trying to install all I get is a blank screen and nothing more. When I tried to install in compatibility mode it hung at checking battery state. I installed linux mint 10 and that worked just fine but 11 on the other hand has never worked for me. Are there any solutions to this.
October 15, 2011 8:13:19 PM

My problems with fedora 15 gnome 3 were pretty much solved by switching to kde. But I really do wanna solve this so I'm gonna do some research into the subject.
October 15, 2011 9:56:21 PM

I would suggest looking into the Xorg logs to see if there's some sort of hints in there. A possible way to try to do a low-level, graphicless install and reinstate the graphical system bit by bit (i.e. install Xorg next, make sure that you can startup X fine with the FOSS "nv" driver, switch over to the closed nvidia binary blob, make sure that can bringup basic X, then pick-n-install your UI of choice)
Related resources
October 15, 2011 11:55:40 PM

Curious, what hardware are you using?

I remember there was a glitch like that with older distros.

You had to do an alternate installation.
October 16, 2011 5:04:58 AM

Sorry guys, my phone never told me I had any messages(or maybe I forgot to turn on the alert) but here are my specs
Gfx: NVidia GT 240
Mobo: Asus sorry I don't remember the model number
CPU: Amd phenom x4

I'm pretty sure my onboard gfx card is ati so I'll try that. Fedora 15 isn't quite to my liking and 14 is coming to an end so I'd like to get a new distro right now. Currently I'm using my laptop with ubuntu to do things. But i'll try bmouring's suggestion and reinstall using the base gfx drivers.
October 16, 2011 1:14:17 PM

Fenrir190 said:
Sorry guys, my phone never told me I had any messages(or maybe I forgot to turn on the alert) but here are my specs
Gfx: NVidia GT 240
Mobo: Asus sorry I don't remember the model number
CPU: Amd phenom x4

I'm pretty sure my onboard gfx card is ati so I'll try that. Fedora 15 isn't quite to my liking and 14 is coming to an end so I'd like to get a new distro right now. Currently I'm using my laptop with ubuntu to do things. But i'll try bmouring's suggestion and reinstall using the base gfx drivers.

Should all that is really desired be a new distro, suggest trying antiX for an x86 distro easy to work with; for a 64-bit distro, look at Salix (and here's info on the latest version, Salix XFCE 13.37) -- best wishes!

PS both have great support (and keep the driver ref!)
!