How to correctly connect video componets

Can anyone point me to some information and diagrams for connecting
video components to get the whole kit and caboodle to work together with
a HDTV? Besides the Toshiba 62HM94, we have a new Yamaha Rx-V2500
receiver, Onix Rocket speakers, a Motorola 6208 DVR, an older JVC VCR
and a Toshiba DVD player that is a few years old. All of the manuals
have conflicting information regarding the connections and we are having
difficulty getting everything to work together the way that they should.
We finally got the DVD player to work but then when we switched to
regular TV we just got snow on the screen so obviously we are doing
something wrong.
8 answers Last reply
More about correctly connect video componets

    "Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Can anyone point me to some information and diagrams for connecting video
    > components to get the whole kit and caboodle to work together with a HDTV?
    > Besides the Toshiba 62HM94, we have a new Yamaha Rx-V2500 receiver, Onix
    > Rocket speakers, a Motorola 6208 DVR, an older JVC VCR and a Toshiba DVD
    > player that is a few years old. All of the manuals have conflicting
    > information regarding the connections and we are having difficulty getting
    > everything to work together the way that they should. We finally got the
    > DVD player to work but then when we switched to regular TV we just got
    > snow on the screen so obviously we are doing something wrong.

    Depends on whether you want to use your Yamaha 2500 as a video source
    selector for the TV or use the TV's inputs to select your source

    You also need to know what kind of outputs your DVD and VCR have

    Randy Sweeney wrote:
    > "Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Can anyone point me to some information and diagrams for connecting video
    >>components to get the whole kit and caboodle to work together with a HDTV?
    >>Besides the Toshiba 62HM94, we have a new Yamaha Rx-V2500 receiver, Onix
    >>Rocket speakers, a Motorola 6208 DVR, an older JVC VCR and a Toshiba DVD
    >>player that is a few years old. All of the manuals have conflicting
    >>information regarding the connections and we are having difficulty getting
    >>everything to work together the way that they should. We finally got the
    >>DVD player to work but then when we switched to regular TV we just got
    >>snow on the screen so obviously we are doing something wrong.
    >

    > Depends on whether you want to use your Yamaha 2500 as a video source
    > selector for the TV or use the TV's inputs to select your source
    >
    > You also need to know what kind of outputs your DVD and VCR have

    We want to run things through the Yamaha receiver. We're using component
    inputs on the DVD player. The VCR is an old one which very seldom gets
    used any more so we can bypass that if we have to for now. If we can get
    everything else working we'll be happy.

    > Randy Sweeney wrote:
    >> "Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Can anyone point me to some information and diagrams for connecting video
    >>>components to get the whole kit and caboodle to work together with a
    >>>HDTV? Besides the Toshiba 62HM94, we have a new Yamaha Rx-V2500 receiver,
    >>>Onix Rocket speakers, a Motorola 6208 DVR, an older JVC VCR and a Toshiba
    >>>DVD player that is a few years old. All of the manuals have conflicting
    >>>information regarding the connections and we are having difficulty
    >>>getting everything to work together the way that they should. We finally
    >>>got the DVD player to work but then when we switched to regular TV we
    >>>just got snow on the screen so obviously we are doing something wrong.
    >>

    >> Depends on whether you want to use your Yamaha 2500 as a video source
    >> selector for the TV or use the TV's inputs to select your source

    >> You also need to know what kind of outputs your DVD and VCR have
    > We want to run things through the Yamaha receiver. We're using component
    > inputs on the DVD player. The VCR is an old one which very seldom gets
    > used any more so we can bypass that if we have to for now. If we can get
    > everything else working we'll be happy.

    I think you should use the Yamaha instructions when in doubt... but here
    goes my guess

    Connect the DVD component out to the Yamaha's DVD component input
    Connect the DVD digital audio output to the Yamaha's DVD digital audio input
    via fiber optic or coax cable
    Connect the Cable box component out to the Yamaha Cable/Sat component input
    Connect the Cable box digitial audio out to the Yamaha cable/sat digital
    audio input via fiber or coax
    Connect the Yamaha's monitor out component outputs to one of the TV's HD
    component inputs
    Connect the Yamaha's Front Pre-Out stereo audio out (L & R) to the TV's
    stereo input on the same component input you used for above

    Connect the Front Rockets to the Yamaha Front speaker A connections
    Connect the Center Rocket to the Yamaha Center connection
    Connect the Rear Rockets to the Yamaha surround back connections

    Turn on the TV, cable box, and the Yamaha
    set the TV input to whichever one you connected the Yamaha to
    set the Yamaha's input to either Cable/Sat or DVD
    You should be ready to go.

    and BTW... this is an excellent home theater you have (hopefully) put
    together
    but you should consider getting a decent subwoofer if you didn't get one
    when you bought the ONIX's

    Randy Sweeney wrote:

    > "Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>Randy Sweeney wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message

    >>>Depends on whether you want to use your Yamaha 2500 as a video source
    >>>selector for the TV or use the TV's inputs to select your source
    >

    >>>You also need to know what kind of outputs your DVD and VCR have
    >>
    >>We want to run things through the Yamaha receiver. We're using component
    >>inputs on the DVD player. The VCR is an old one which very seldom gets
    >>used any more so we can bypass that if we have to for now. If we can get
    >>everything else working we'll be happy.
    >

    > I think you should use the Yamaha instructions when in doubt... but here
    > goes my guess
    >
    > Connect the DVD component out to the Yamaha's DVD component input
    > Connect the DVD digital audio output to the Yamaha's DVD digital audio input
    > via fiber optic or coax cable
    > Connect the Cable box component out to the Yamaha Cable/Sat component input
    > Connect the Cable box digitial audio out to the Yamaha cable/sat digital
    > audio input via fiber or coax
    > Connect the Yamaha's monitor out component outputs to one of the TV's HD
    > component inputs
    > Connect the Yamaha's Front Pre-Out stereo audio out (L & R) to the TV's
    > stereo input on the same component input you used for above
    >
    > Connect the Front Rockets to the Yamaha Front speaker A connections
    > Connect the Center Rocket to the Yamaha Center connection
    > Connect the Rear Rockets to the Yamaha surround back connections
    >
    > Turn on the TV, cable box, and the Yamaha
    > set the TV input to whichever one you connected the Yamaha to
    > set the Yamaha's input to either Cable/Sat or DVD
    > You should be ready to go.
    >
    > and BTW... this is an excellent home theater you have (hopefully) put
    > together
    > but you should consider getting a decent subwoofer if you didn't get one
    > when you bought the ONIX's

    We did buy a sub woofer when we bought the Rockets...the ONIX Rocket
    RSC200. We are thrilled with the speakers! They are awesome! We are
    hearing sounds we never heard before. Then we needed a new receiver
    before we got the HDTV since ours was very old...hence the Yamaha 2500.
    Now if we can get everything set up to work correctly we'll be happy.
    The TV was damaged during shipment so it is being replaced. The new set
    should be here in the next couple of days.

    Sharon

    Toshiba's web page doesn't have the manual for you tv but if it's like my
    52hm94, it only has one digital input the HDMI and one digital output the
    toslink optical. The Mot6208 doesn't have an HDMI only a DVI output.
    Therefore, to feed 5.1 surround sound signal to your Yamaha, you'll need to
    run a optical or coaxial digital audio cable to your receiver and bypass the
    tv.
    If your dvd player has a digital output, you'll want to run that directly to
    your receiver for 5.1 surround.

    For your video, you can use a dvi to hdmi cable or a set of component video
    cables. I don't see much difference myself, but test them yourself. Run
    your vcr and RF cables as discribed in the tv manual under "cable box and
    vcr" if you intend to use the TV Guide Menu option.. Except, run the
    audio cables to your receiver and then from the receiver to the tv's video1
    input. But, if your receiver has a vcr digital input you can use the tv's
    toslink output. The TV Guide only inputs through the ANT 1 or Video1
    inputs.
    TomD

    "TommyD Doe@com cast.net>" <tom<> wrote in message
    > Toshiba's web page doesn't have the manual for you tv but if it's like my
    > 52hm94, it only has one digital input the HDMI and one digital output the
    > toslink optical. The Mot6208 doesn't have an HDMI only a DVI output.
    > Therefore, to feed 5.1 surround sound signal to your Yamaha, you'll need
    > to run a optical or coaxial digital audio cable to your receiver and
    > bypass the tv.
    > If your dvd player has a digital output, you'll want to run that directly
    > to your receiver for 5.1 surround.
    >
    > For your video, you can use a dvi to hdmi cable or a set of component
    > video cables. I don't see much difference myself, but test them
    > yourself. Run your vcr and RF cables as discribed in the tv manual under
    > "cable box and vcr" if you intend to use the TV Guide Menu option..
    > Except, run the audio cables to your receiver and then from the receiver
    > to the tv's video1 input. But, if your receiver has a vcr digital input
    > you can use the tv's toslink output. The TV Guide only inputs
    > through the ANT 1 or Video1 inputs.
    > TomD

    I would not trust the MOT's DVI output being active - I would go for
    component first

    "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "TommyD Doe@com cast.net>" <tom<> wrote in message
    >> Toshiba's web page doesn't have the manual for you tv but if it's like my
    >> 52hm94, it only has one digital input the HDMI and one digital output the
    >> toslink optical. The Mot6208 doesn't have an HDMI only a DVI output.
    >> Therefore, to feed 5.1 surround sound signal to your Yamaha, you'll need
    >> to run a optical or coaxial digital audio cable to your receiver and
    >> bypass the tv.
    >> If your dvd player has a digital output, you'll want to run that directly
    >> to your receiver for 5.1 surround.
    >>
    >> For your video, you can use a dvi to hdmi cable or a set of component
    >> video cables. I don't see much difference myself, but test them
    >> yourself. Run your vcr and RF cables as discribed in the tv manual
    >> under "cable box and vcr" if you intend to use the TV Guide Menu option..
    >> Except, run the audio cables to your receiver and then from the receiver
    >> to the tv's video1 input. But, if your receiver has a vcr digital input
    >> you can use the tv's toslink output. The TV Guide only inputs
    >> through the ANT 1 or Video1 inputs.
    >> TomD
    >
    > I would not trust the MOT's DVI output being active - I would go for
    > component first

    My MOT6200 has an active DVI. I'm using it with a $9 DVI to HDMI cable

    >> I would not trust the MOT's DVI output being active - I would go for
    >> component first
    >>

    > My MOT6200 has an active DVI. I'm using it with a $9 DVI to HDMI cable

    Additionally her Yamaha receiver does not have an DVI switcher but can
    switch component.

HDTV Video Home Theatre