Ubuntu cd order mailing question

PcEthuaist

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
I jsut ordered a pack of 5 ubuntu cd's from the officla ubuntu site. I am wondering if customs open up the package, and possibly even edit the software in the cd, due to ''suspicion''?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Do you A.) Really think that they have that much time, or B.) Are tech savvy enough to edit a Linux Live CD?

What would be suspicious about it? What would they change? If you're really that paranoid, why not just download the *.iso and burn your own CD's?

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I dunno, man, the government firewall might catch the bits mid-flight and mangle them into, you know, some sort of an invisible call-home daemon that tracks your every move and funnels all your searches through Fox News, man! Fight the power!

A couple of points here:

1. You don't know where PcEthuaist is so which border is being crossed.
2. Given that US flyers have had issues with the TSA because their laptop only booted to a shell and not a GUI is suspicion not already high even in the USA?
3. Intercepting and changing bits was exactly what Phorm did here in the UK.

The fact that the OP orders CD rather than downloads them should always make people wonder where they are as it certainly hints at slow connections.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Are they tech-savvy enough to edit a burnt (commercial grade) CD?

:D

dealcorn

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
The first lines of defense to ensure the integrity of the CD's are the MD5 hash totals from the source web site.

Are there any known instances where CD's were tampered with while preserving the integrity of the MD5 hash totals?