Uses for old Computer

nnaatthhaannx2

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I have an old computer and I am not sure of what to do with it.

Specs:
Intel Pentium4 @2.4Ghz (dual core)
Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420
256MB RAM
120GB HDD

i was thinking of running xubuntu, will it work well?
what are some other uses?
additional thoughts:
■ media computer
■ network computer (that holds shared files on the network)
■ selling?

if you need any more info just ask

Solution
My observations:

1. It will not like HD video and no HDMI out.
2. It has limited ram
3. As a file server the P4 chip will eat electricity. (it's just gone up 15% per kWh here!)

Suggestions:

1. Run Puppy, Slax or DSL and it's a perfectly workable desktop
2. For any of the Ubuntu derivatives try and find at least another 256mb of ram.
3. It could make an audio PC using to play your MP3's etc. Disk is big enough and you're not likely to worry about an old PC if you have a party or friends want to play DJ. Old sound blaster card would improve over the on-board efforts.

For what it's worth I'm picking up a similar box this week as payment for helping a friend move house. It's going to get 2Gb of old ram I have and a DVD RW drive and...
Difficult to say for sure, but there's an easy way to find out. Try it and see - you have the hardware and only you can decide what is acceptable performance for your needs.

Personally, I would put a 1 or 2 TB hard disk in it, install FreeBSD, and use it as network storage. (FreeNAS will do this for you.)

nnaatthhaannx2

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

and will the computer be speedy enough to do this?
how difficult is this to setup?

nnaatthhaannx2

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
o well i was just about done with the installation, and then i got an error (i think it was error 5 {thats probably wrong}) and it froze and nothing could be done, it said it was a disk error (it was not clean) but i did a disk check before..... any help?

nnaatthhaannx2

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

k i have no idea wat you are talking about

theproblem with ijack's suggestion is that i dont want to spend the $60 on a terrible computer.

nnaatthhaannx2

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

can i just try again by deleting all the files on my hard drive, or is it more complicated than that?

My observations:

1. It will not like HD video and no HDMI out.
2. It has limited ram
3. As a file server the P4 chip will eat electricity. (it's just gone up 15% per kWh here!)

Suggestions:

1. Run Puppy, Slax or DSL and it's a perfectly workable desktop
2. For any of the Ubuntu derivatives try and find at least another 256mb of ram.
3. It could make an audio PC using to play your MP3's etc. Disk is big enough and you're not likely to worry about an old PC if you have a party or friends want to play DJ. Old sound blaster card would improve over the on-board efforts.

For what it's worth I'm picking up a similar box this week as payment for helping a friend move house. It's going to get 2Gb of old ram I have and a DVD RW drive and replace my brothers somewhat sick EeePC 701. The extra core and 1.5Ghz speed boost will see him right for another year or so.

Solution

nnaatthhaannx2

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

for puppy os, do i have to have a clean new disk (CD), or can i use an old one with deleted data?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I use 1GiB but the min requirement is 640MiB because of a glitch in the system requirements. It only uses 100MiB idle and 200-300MiB in use.

Lubuntu does not have this problem, needing only 384MiB, idling at 70MiB.

Declivever

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I know a guy that has a computer with similar specs. He uses his as a
astericks server / DHCP server / PPPoE conection.

He uses Cent OS with X-windows not running so it is just terminal. I forget which version though.