Changed boot drive letter and now PC won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Okay...

Where to start.

I recently installed a new hard drive into a friends computer and installed XP Home.
I ran all the updates and service packs.

I left later that day and let him install all his applications.

I got a call tonight from him saying he really screwed up and doesn't know what to do.
I had to follow his thinking over the phone so I hope I get this all correct.

He had trouble loading the drivers for his HP printer. He would get an error saying that a C:\temp\HP_WebRelease folder was missing. He did manage to figure out that for some reason when I installed XP it called the Boot drive "I" instead of "C"

That was my mistake and this is why I am trying to get this fixed asap before his wife gets home.

My buddy took it upon himself to try and fix the problem by doing a search online. (bless him =/)

He tried 2 methods to change the drive letter from "I" to "C"
The first didn't work. (He went into Disk management and was told he could not change the drive letter as it was his boot device.

He tried a second method.
He followed a page he found online which told him to change a registry setting in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. From what I could gather he had a USB device with "C" which he changed to "G." He then changed his boot drive from "I" to "C." and then he rebooted.

He now says that the machine will not boot. It will get to a loading windows screen and then hang forever.

The only thing I can think of right now is that I need to get him a XP Home disk, let it boot to the disk and do a repair.

Will this fix the problem or will I need to change anything else?
Will the boot drive be "C" or will it change back to "I" ?

I assume if it is "C" he will need to reinstall all his apps as well ?

I am at work right now and will not be able to get to his place until the morning.

Any suggestions or ideas on a fix?

That was my mistake and this is why I am trying to get this fixed asap before his wife gets home.

Call the wolf!

Just kidding.

You can try opening up the recovery console off the XP disk and running fixboot I:

That might at least get your boot back.

As far as changing the drive letter my memory is a bit foggy.

billw129

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hey for anyone out there having this problem you can take the drive and hook it up externally to another working computer and through the regedit load the hive and change it back to the original drive letter and problem fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.