Any way to make a CRT projection smaller?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 2, 2005 5:12:05 PM

My main reason right now at looking at DLP and LCD is that CRT's have
huge cabinets. I have a lot of audio equipment that I need to store
below the TV and both DLP and LCD will allow me to have a cabinet with
shelves. Right now projection CRTs do not. Any chance in the future
that projection CRTs will be made smaller? They still have the best
picture by far.
January 3, 2005 1:30:14 AM

The Sony 46" CRT projection TV does not have a large base - in fact, you
really need to put it on top of a stand/cabinet. Sony sells a stand
specifically for it (but it is ugly and costs ~$200). It would probably fit
nicely on top of a large TV stand with shelves.

But I know what you are saying - I just got a Sony 51" CRT projection TV,
and the base of it is large, but from what I can see it just contains
speakers and air.

"Rob" <teacherrob9@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My main reason right now at looking at DLP and LCD is that CRT's have
> huge cabinets. I have a lot of audio equipment that I need to store
> below the TV and both DLP and LCD will allow me to have a cabinet with
> shelves. Right now projection CRTs do not. Any chance in the future
> that projection CRTs will be made smaller? They still have the best
> picture by far.

January 3, 2005 3:12:32 AM

Not much of a chance. While CRT technology is still the best picture
available they need space!
The technology has been around a long time but people like smaller
sets as opposed to the best picture. The electronics companies are
going to go where the money is.
Clay
"Rob" <teacherrob9@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My main reason right now at looking at DLP and LCD is that CRT's
have
> huge cabinets. I have a lot of audio equipment that I need to store
> below the TV and both DLP and LCD will allow me to have a cabinet
with
> shelves. Right now projection CRTs do not. Any chance in the
future
> that projection CRTs will be made smaller? They still have the best
> picture by far.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:54:04 AM

Don't expect much smaller cabinet sizes from CRT based sets. There are
limitations due to the size of the CRTs themselves. Also, as the cabinet
becomes smaller, the angles become more severe and it is more difficult to
get good edge and center focus and good left/right white balance.

The tighter designed cabinets in the past have typically been poorer
performers. In fact, similar problems arise in DLP and LCD units, though
the optics are simpler because there is only one lens that is centered.
Still, the smaller you make the cabinet, the shorter the distance between
the lens and the screen. This requires more asphericity in the lenses.

Notice that Mitsubishi's DLPs are among the deepest sets and are the only
ones with two mirrors. This was done to keep a longer optical path for
better performance. As they get better at producing more efficient, higher
quality, extreme lenses, you will see the second mirror go away and the
depth of the sets reduced.

Leonard

"JJ" <jj@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The Sony 46" CRT projection TV does not have a large base - in fact, you
> really need to put it on top of a stand/cabinet. Sony sells a stand
> specifically for it (but it is ugly and costs ~$200). It would probably
fit
> nicely on top of a large TV stand with shelves.
>
> But I know what you are saying - I just got a Sony 51" CRT projection TV,
> and the base of it is large, but from what I can see it just contains
> speakers and air.
>
> "Rob" <teacherrob9@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > My main reason right now at looking at DLP and LCD is that CRT's have
> > huge cabinets. I have a lot of audio equipment that I need to store
> > below the TV and both DLP and LCD will allow me to have a cabinet with
> > shelves. Right now projection CRTs do not. Any chance in the future
> > that projection CRTs will be made smaller? They still have the best
> > picture by far.

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:07:58 AM

Rob wrote:
>My main reason right now at looking at DLP and LCD is that CRT's have
>huge cabinets. I have a lot of audio equipment that I need to store
>below the TV and both DLP and LCD will allow me to have a cabinet with
>shelves. Right now projection CRTs do not. Any chance in the future
>that projection CRTs will be made smaller? They still have the best
>picture by far.

It's doubtful future projection CRTs will be made smaller.
The technology is about as developed as it will ever get.

One thing you can look for is a RP CRT with a flat top.
This provides a lot of space ABOVE the set. I put my A/V
equipment above my RP CRT set and it's actually very
convenient. The set is on wheels, so it's easy to roll out
the whole setup to get at the cables in the rear to
add/remove equipment. Another nice thing is that stuff on
the coffee table never gets in the way of remote control
line-of-sight (the A/V equipment is up high). Finally,
the A/V equipment is out of reach of little kids and pets.

Isaac Kuo
January 3, 2005 6:48:02 PM

Actually, LG Philips is supposedly developing a thinner CRT, but I don't
know how large the screens are going to be.

Check out this article:

http://news.com.com/Slimmer+tube+TVs+to+challenge+flat+...

"Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Don't expect much smaller cabinet sizes from CRT based sets. There are
> limitations due to the size of the CRTs themselves. Also, as the cabinet
> becomes smaller, the angles become more severe and it is more difficult to
> get good edge and center focus and good left/right white balance.
>
> The tighter designed cabinets in the past have typically been poorer
> performers. In fact, similar problems arise in DLP and LCD units, though
> the optics are simpler because there is only one lens that is centered.
> Still, the smaller you make the cabinet, the shorter the distance between
> the lens and the screen. This requires more asphericity in the lenses.
>
> Notice that Mitsubishi's DLPs are among the deepest sets and are the only
> ones with two mirrors. This was done to keep a longer optical path for
> better performance. As they get better at producing more efficient,
> higher
> quality, extreme lenses, you will see the second mirror go away and the
> depth of the sets reduced.
>
> Leonard
>
> "JJ" <jj@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> The Sony 46" CRT projection TV does not have a large base - in fact, you
>> really need to put it on top of a stand/cabinet. Sony sells a stand
>> specifically for it (but it is ugly and costs ~$200). It would probably
> fit
>> nicely on top of a large TV stand with shelves.
>>
>> But I know what you are saying - I just got a Sony 51" CRT projection TV,
>> and the base of it is large, but from what I can see it just contains
>> speakers and air.
>>
>> "Rob" <teacherrob9@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > My main reason right now at looking at DLP and LCD is that CRT's have
>> > huge cabinets. I have a lot of audio equipment that I need to store
>> > below the TV and both DLP and LCD will allow me to have a cabinet with
>> > shelves. Right now projection CRTs do not. Any chance in the future
>> > that projection CRTs will be made smaller? They still have the best
>> > picture by far.

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:13:37 AM

Witnessed a demonstration of Sony's SXRD technology last week. Both
front projector, $30,000, and 70 " rear projector, $13,000, and I want
one of both.

Do not subject yourselves to such a demonstration unless you can afford
such prices or unless you are a masochist who wouldn't mind living in
the painful knowledge that you do not have the best HDTV experience.

Bob Miller

JJ wrote:
> Actually, LG Philips is supposedly developing a thinner CRT, but I don't
> know how large the screens are going to be.
>
> Check out this article:
>
> http://news.com.com/Slimmer+tube+TVs+to+challenge+flat+...
>

> "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
>
>>Don't expect much smaller cabinet sizes from CRT based sets. There are
>>limitations due to the size of the CRTs themselves. Also, as the cabinet
>>becomes smaller, the angles become more severe and it is more difficult to
>>get good edge and center focus and good left/right white balance.
>>
>>The tighter designed cabinets in the past have typically been poorer
>>performers. In fact, similar problems arise in DLP and LCD units, though
>>the optics are simpler because there is only one lens that is centered.
>>Still, the smaller you make the cabinet, the shorter the distance between
>>the lens and the screen. This requires more asphericity in the lenses.
>>
>>Notice that Mitsubishi's DLPs are among the deepest sets and are the only
>>ones with two mirrors. This was done to keep a longer optical path for
>>better performance. As they get better at producing more efficient,
>>higher
>>quality, extreme lenses, you will see the second mirror go away and the
>>depth of the sets reduced.
>>
>>Leonard
>>
>>"JJ" <jj@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>The Sony 46" CRT projection TV does not have a large base - in fact, you
>>>really need to put it on top of a stand/cabinet. Sony sells a stand
>>>specifically for it (but it is ugly and costs ~$200). It would probably
>>
>>fit
>>
>>>nicely on top of a large TV stand with shelves.
>>>
>>>But I know what you are saying - I just got a Sony 51" CRT projection TV,
>>>and the base of it is large, but from what I can see it just contains
>>>speakers and air.
>>>
>>>"Rob" <teacherrob9@comcast.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:30:55 PM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:13:37 GMT, Bob Miller <robmx@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Witnessed a demonstration of Sony's SXRD technology last week. Both
>front projector, $30,000, and 70 " rear projector, $13,000, and I want
>one of both.
>
>Do not subject yourselves to such a demonstration unless you can afford
>such prices or unless you are a masochist who wouldn't mind living in
>the painful knowledge that you do not have the best HDTV experience.

Like at the show next week.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:02:18 PM

<the_professor@atbi.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:13:37 GMT, Bob Miller <robmx@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Witnessed a demonstration of Sony's SXRD technology last week. Both
>>front projector, $30,000, and 70 " rear projector, $13,000, and I want
>>one of both.
>>
>>Do not subject yourselves to such a demonstration unless you can afford
>>such prices or unless you are a masochist who wouldn't mind living in
>>the painful knowledge that you do not have the best HDTV experience.
>

> Like at the show next week.

this is like saying to not go to a great museum because you can't take the
masters' paintings home with you

You can enjoy and appreciate what you have and can still admire the beauty
of what you don't.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:40:31 PM

Randy Sweeney wrote:

> <the_professor@atbi.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:13:37 GMT, Bob Miller <robmx@earthlink.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Witnessed a demonstration of Sony's SXRD technology last week. Both
>>>front projector, $30,000, and 70 " rear projector, $13,000, and I want
>>>one of both.
>>>
>>>Do not subject yourselves to such a demonstration unless you can afford
>>>such prices or unless you are a masochist who wouldn't mind living in
>>>the painful knowledge that you do not have the best HDTV experience.
>>

>>Like at the show next week.
>

> this is like saying to not go to a great museum because you can't take the
> masters' paintings home with you
>
> You can enjoy and appreciate what you have and can still admire the beauty
> of what you don't.

You did see who the OP was, didn't you? He spends all his time dreaming
of what he can't have.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:51:50 PM

"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message

> You did see who the OP was, didn't you? He spends all his time dreaming of
> what he can't have.
>
> Matthew

nope.... kill filed

Besides, what does Bob need HD for?
All he thinks the little folks need is low res SD.
!