Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New ubuntu/Linux user right here

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
October 26, 2011 12:32:19 AM

I installed ubuntu into my dell dimension C521’s new Western digital 500GB. I have giving this OS 50GB of space. so if you want to give me some wisdom on what to add, teak, or install on here please feel free do so.

More about : ubuntu linux user

a b 5 Linux
October 26, 2011 2:37:15 AM

That all depends on what you want to do with your system! There's lots of software available that is just fantastic.

For the most part, what's installed by default is pretty good. They cover what the majority of people use.
October 26, 2011 10:13:07 PM

Pyroflea said:
That all depends on what you want to do with your system! There's lots of software available that is just fantastic.

For the most part, what's installed by default is pretty good. They cover what the majority of people use.

Yeah but don't I need a virus scan or something like that to scan the disk space?
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
October 26, 2011 11:23:39 PM

Not really no. Due to it's abysmally small market share, there aren't really any standard "viruses" for Linux. Also, since you're not the root user and are prompted to enter the root password in able to install/run anything, it's pretty difficult to persuade people to do so.
a b 5 Linux
October 27, 2011 11:12:17 AM

Also most Linux users are smarter than Windows users, remains mostly in the grasp of the hardcore.

Root really helps with security.

At least for those who have a seperate user and root password.

Ubuntu users... ;) 
October 28, 2011 12:06:43 AM

amdfangirl said:
Also most Linux users are smarter than Windows users, remains mostly in the grasp of the hardcore.

Root really helps with security.

At least for those who have a seperate user and root password.

Ubuntu users... ;) 

Really? Wow don't know that. Well only use it to play AssaultCube or to remove any that won't move.
a b 5 Linux
October 28, 2011 5:08:10 AM

I will be clear to you.

Unless bmourning and pryoflea agree with me, I'm probably wrong.

I live in a little rock that is Fedora LXDE spin.
a b 5 Linux
October 28, 2011 3:35:53 PM

amdfangirl said:
I will be clear to you.

Unless bmourning and pryoflea agree with me, I'm probably wrong.

I live in a little rock that is Fedora LXDE spin.

And what a little rock that is :D 

I would agree that on average (there are DEFINITELY exceptions), Linux users tender to be a bit more tech-savvy than Windows users. Again, this is a generalization, and I know dozens of people through this entire idea out the window.

The concept of a root user is probably the biggest thing when it comes to security though. Unless you give the "virus" your root password (which you would be prompted for), it basically can't install or run. This is the same reason there are practically no viruses for OS X (it's UNIX based).
a b 5 Linux
October 29, 2011 5:05:35 AM

Our school library has it's server outside and anyone can access it.

It runs some XFCE-based distro.

The root password is: password.

I am such a leet hacker. ;) 
October 29, 2011 5:27:31 AM

amdfangirl said:
Our school library has it's server outside and anyone can access it.

It runs some XFCE-based distro.

The root password is: password.

I am such a leet hacker. ;) 

Right.
a b 5 Linux
October 29, 2011 5:37:57 AM

Oh right, sorry, the topic.

What other help do you need?
October 29, 2011 10:32:39 PM

amdfangirl said:
Oh right, sorry, the topic.

What other help do you need?

No that will be all; I need to make one note about ubuntu Firefox brings up pages a lot faster than Windows Vista or XP.
a b 5 Linux
October 29, 2011 10:42:45 PM

Well I'm glad we could help.
!