Moving Files Getting Black Screen of Death

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Using nautilus on Linux Mint 11, I am transferring files from one drive to another. I am using the extra pane view and using "move to other pane" to transfer. first I moved the files to a temp drive, and I had no errors what so ever. now upon transferring from the temp drive to a permanent drive, during the files operation, I am getting the black screen of death. which forces me to restart and I loose whatever file was being moved at the time. I am doing small portions of the drive at a time mostly with .avi video files. the issue is the same on the Linux Mint 11 live dvd, the Ubuntu 11.04 live dvd, or Linux Mint 11 installed on a HDD.

Solution
Hmm, never seen that issue before, if you have an ssh server configured on the machine, is it still running stuff from what you can see? It's extremely odd that a file operation working at the VFS layer would wreak havoc on your video driver, which is what it sounds like is occurring.

BTW, you have a typo in your sig (a 'b' when you likely meant 'g')

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Hmm, never seen that issue before, if you have an ssh server configured on the machine, is it still running stuff from what you can see? It's extremely odd that a file operation working at the VFS layer would wreak havoc on your video driver, which is what it sounds like is occurring.

BTW, you have a typo in your sig (a 'b' when you likely meant 'g')

Solution

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
well, I ruled out permissions problems. every release I tried it on was 64bit. so, I tried it on Ubuntu 11.10 32 bit I installed to HDD and had the same issue. it also happens with copy and paste. No severs are running. I could even move the same folder outside its parent directory to a different location and it would go through. luckily it only happened with a few folders and files I was able to move the rest without issue. as far as it being it being a driver prob, all I can say is I did not manually install any. maybe I should file a bug report because whatever file is being moved when it crashes is broken. I have never done a bug report however. thanks for the reply.