Ubuntu 11.10 problems

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
hey guys, i recently downloaded and installed Ubuntu 11.10 on 2 different pen drives, one for me, and another for a friend,using Pendrivelinux's software. Each had a persistent storage of 1.2GB.

I run a E8400, on a Intel DG33FB mobo, with 2GB ram, integrated graphics. I've used many different versions of Linux before.

1. I only installed VLC, and the Adobe plugin to play YouTube video's on Firefox, and suddenly 300MB gets used up!!!! i tried "sudo apt-get clean all" in terminal and i only got back 20MB! where's all my space gone??? :(

2. On my friends pen drive, i ran Update Manager, which showed me 35MB worth of updates, which i downloaded and installed. After i restarted, i had only 40MB left out of 1.2GB, and i keep getting that no space left warning!! :fou: .

3. Somtimes programs take insanely long to load, for no apparent reason. Sometimes they don't load at all!!!

4. I once pressed the button on my comp, when ubuntu hung up, and after that it never crosses past the purple Ubuntu with 5 dots screen :(

Is there something going wrong??? i never faced such issues with 10.04 or 11.04. Even Kubuntu 10.10 and Knoppix6 work fine. Why is my 11.10 so unstable???
PS:- Is anyone going to make a Gubuntu, with GNOME as default, unity is pretty, but its a pain to use!!

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Hmm this is pretty relevant since I'm currently updating to 11.10 on my laptop... If it turns out horrible then JoliCloud on the laptop and fedora/ JoliCloud dual boot on the desktop it is.