Overclock Addict

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Hello, i need some help with a really weird situation. I just bought an asus maximus II formula board, everything cool... but when i turn off the pc for a few hours, and start ..... no sound... if i boot, sound comes back. If i turn off the pc for like 30 minutes, and start , i have sound. I have tried remove, reinstall drivers, use vista drivers... asus drivers, even bios upgrade, and no solution.

I have to mention too, when i go to device manager and set uninstall driver, to complete i have to boot.... and when i do it.... i have sound , even when vista said, new hardware found and is installing drivers.

Ill appreciate any help,

thanks

Overclock Addict

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
i forgot to specify , im running vista ultimate 64 and in the device manager at sound, video, game controllers i have high definition audio device twice... if i disable one of them i still have audio.... its seems like a ghost audio card there.....

Well this is probably what you don't want to hear I have an ASUS Crosshair II Formula and the soundcard was aa ASUS PCIE1 Supreme FX II soundcard, problems from day 1 with it, when it was working the sound volume was so low it was like the reproduction was in a tunnel.

Replaced it with a Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro PCI, using Creatives new Vista Alchemy Drivers, and its awesome, got my sound back.

I doubt you'll get this resolved, maybe through ASUS, but just the same good luck, IMO replacing the soundcard is going to be your best option, my Supreme FX II, now sits on the shelf, useless!

My Asus board messes up sound and it is not Vista because XP 32 does it too. If I do a full power down and boot I am fine but if I do a restart my sound is all messed up and stutters and breaks up if I do anything else, games are unplayable.

Happens with both my Creative cards and one of them is a brand new X-fi extreme gamer with Alchemy installed AND it happens with my on-board sound - go figure - maybe it's an old fashioned resource conflict or something. I wish I knew.

It may have something to do with filling all four ram slots or enabling memory remapping. I can't remember if I had it before I did that but I don't think I did.

Overclock Addict

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Thanks for your anwers, if i find a solution ill post it. By the way 4ryan6, i was considering doing same as you, but i want to be sure whats my problem. About the 2 audio cards, i was checking and the second one is from my ati radeon 4870x2 video card. I checked and for some reason like i told you when i leave the pc off for a few hours, then at start the only audio card the system found is the one related to the video card.

Well thats weird??????????????, does the 4870X2 have VIVO capability?

Belay that ////////////////// I didn't realize the 4870X2 had its own audio, that could create some definite ghosting issues if you also have another soundcard!

Interesting problem you have, cannot advise as yet I'm researching this one, let you know what I find.

Overclock Addict

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008

:) U welcome ... nice tu meet you.