Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Why does Firefox on Ubuntu suck so much?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Share
October 27, 2011 4:16:26 PM

Why does Firefox on Ubuntu suck so much?
you install the same firefox version on ..windows7 and then on ubuntu 11.04.
the performance difference is heaven and earth!.
every action on ubuntu is slower than on windows. it just appears to be a half hearted attempt.
try opening 6 tabs at once. the browser becomes unresponsive for few seconds. the add-on bar decides to appear and disappear for no apparent reason.even the startup is slower on ubuntu.

it almost appears to be a different browser. the only consolation being that atleast it isnt ie8.

More about : firefox ubuntu suck

October 27, 2011 5:01:01 PM

I run xubuntu and ubuntu and my firefox feels the same or even faster than windows. I run dozens of tabs all the time.

Depending on the hardware you use it might just be a matter of adjusting some settings or installing a proprietary graphics driver. The unity interface was really slow on my older laptop, but changing to classic interface fixed it. In the newest ubuntu 11.10 you would switch to unity 2d. Xubuntu 11.10 rips.
Try running 11.10. or downgrading to 10.04.

Score
0
October 27, 2011 9:45:17 PM

I've never had any issues running Firefox on any Linux distribution. It has always run just as fast as on Windows (maybe faster, who knows).

What have you done as far as graphics drivers? What are your specs?
Score
0
Related resources
October 27, 2011 11:10:37 PM

mayankleoboy1 said:
Why does Firefox on Ubuntu suck so much?
you install the same firefox version on ..windows7 and then on ubuntu 11.04.
the performance difference is heaven and earth!.
every action on ubuntu is slower than on windows. it just appears to be a half hearted attempt.
try opening 6 tabs at once. the browser becomes unresponsive for few seconds. the add-on bar decides to appear and disappear for no apparent reason.even the startup is slower on ubuntu.

it almost appears to be a different browser. the only consolation being that atleast it isnt ie8.


Are you running off a LiveCD or LiveUSB?
Score
0
October 28, 2011 3:00:34 AM

i use ubuntu on a win7 formatted ntfs , with wubi.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 4:03:20 AM

Yuck. That's probably half your problem right there.

Again, specs please?
Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:06:34 AM

Wubi does explain it.

Let me explain it like this. You're expecting a Brazilian tourist in China with a translator to be as fast as a native Chinese person talking.

That's why it's slow.

Put the tourist back in Brazil and you will see a massive difference ;) .

Format the partition you installed Linux on as Ext.4 and it will be lightning fast, but be warned that it will be more destructive than Wubi. ;) 
Score
0
October 28, 2011 5:43:44 PM

wow. am i the only one here who has slow firefox on ububntu?
Score
0
October 28, 2011 10:25:29 PM

mayankleoboy1 said:
wow. am i the only one here who has slow firefox on ububntu?


Have you read a single word we've said? We've told you the issue and how to fix it.
Score
0
October 29, 2011 1:00:23 AM

mayankleoboy1 said:
wow. am i the only one here who has slow firefox on ububntu?


yes stop using wubi crap. do a normal install..
Score
0
October 29, 2011 5:00:52 AM

Pyroflea said:
Have you read a single word we've said? We've told you the issue and how to fix it.


Which button on the mod interface lets me slap someone?

;) 
Score
0
October 30, 2011 9:02:57 PM

amdfangirl said:
Which button on the mod interface lets me slap someone?

;) 

This reminds me of this
Score
0
October 31, 2011 4:06:38 AM

Since this thread is going in no apparent direction...
Score
0
!