Recording multiple OSA HD channels at one time

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 2, 2005 8:32:24 PM

I would like to record up to 4 OTA HDTV channels at one time and play them
back one at a time later (time shifting). What do I need? I think my
options are:

1) Buy 4 TiVos. I think figuring how to play back would be a problem and I
am not sure
TiVo can record OTA HDTV.

2) Buy a Windows Media Center 2005 PC and install 4 HDTV tuners.

3) Buy 4 D-VCRs and 4 HDTV Terrestrial Tuners. And a 5th D-VCR for
playback.

Will all these work? Are there other options?

Thanks for any advise.
Steve
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:11:11 AM

Steve McKnight (civguy@alltel.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I would like to record up to 4 OTA HDTV channels at one time and play them
> back one at a time later (time shifting). What do I need? I think my
> options are:
>
> 1) Buy 4 TiVos. I think figuring how to play back would be a problem and I
> am not sure TiVo can record OTA HDTV.

Standalone TiVos cannot record HD. The HD DirecTiVo can record up to two
channels of HD at the same time, so you would need two of them, and you'd
need to subscribe to DirecTV.

> 2) Buy a Windows Media Center 2005 PC and install 4 HDTV tuners.

MC2005 is limited to 3 tuner cards, so you would need 2 PCs.

> 3) Buy 4 D-VCRs and 4 HDTV Terrestrial Tuners. And a 5th D-VCR for
> playback.

This would work, although you wouldn't be able to "watch behind" like you
can with a DVR.

> Will all these work? Are there other options?

Buy a PC or two and just install regular HDTV cards without MC2005. This
could save you money if you are dedicating these PCs to nothing but HD
recording.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Zits/Merging.jpg
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:28:46 AM

Buy Two Direct TV / Hughes HD Tivo's. They have two ATSC tuners in each of
them (in addition to two Direct TV satellite tuners) and are capable of
recording any two sources simultaneously. 250 GB hard drive which comes with
them gives you about 30 hours of HD recording and 200 hours of SD recording.

"Steve McKnight" <civguy@alltel.net> wrote in message
>I would like to record up to 4 OTA HDTV channels at one time and play them
> back one at a time later (time shifting). What do I need? I think my
> options are:
>
> 1) Buy 4 TiVos. I think figuring how to play back would be a problem and
> am not sure
> TiVo can record OTA HDTV.
>
> 2) Buy a Windows Media Center 2005 PC and install 4 HDTV tuners.
>
> 3) Buy 4 D-VCRs and 4 HDTV Terrestrial Tuners. And a 5th D-VCR for
> playback.
>
> Will all these work? Are there other options?
>
> Thanks for any advise.
> Steve

January 5, 2005 11:29:55 AM

One key question to ask yourself, will you want to view whatever your
recording again at a later date (i.e. save up a collection of your
favorites), with all Hard Drive based devices you will eventually have
to erase your older recordings in order to make room for new ones.
Perhaps, I don't know know, with the computer option it might be
possible to off load recordings you wish to save to some storage
medium (tho currenttly it would probably take 2-3 dvd-r's to save 1
movie)
If you have any wish to save farorites , the D-VHS VCR's are the only
option, True that soon there may be recordable HD DVD's, but this
looks to be a a couple yrs. down the line, players are supposed to
appear later this yr. but haven't seen much mentioned in the line of
recorders & when they do appear the copy protection schemes proposed
may make them useless, it might not even be possible to record a new
show because of it copy protection flag.

!