Are there any linux media players that support .pla playlists?

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I chose to put this question here as it seems more of a linux problem to me. Currently I'm looking for media player to work with my walkman perfectly. By perfectly I mean fully capable of creating playlist as well as putting music on it. As things stand now I have to use Window media player to create the playlists. Simple creating a .pla file in linux isn't acceptable to the walkman.

Solution
Unsure, I haven't really looked for an mp3 player since my old-skool Diamond Rio 500, for my current mp3 needs I just use my phone (it's got 32 gig internal + 16 gigs in a uSD, plus last.fm, plus online radio, plus pandora, etc. etc.) and it just uses m3u and flat storage

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Really now? I have that program installed now. In the yum search I did all it said that easy tag is good for is... changing the tags on my music as you stated. I see the option to make .m3u playlists but no .pla. I'll look into a bit further. Thanks as always bmouring.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

Looking back, you may be right, the only things that I've found are scripts to convert from m3u to pla since both are just specially-formatted plaintext files

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

I thought as much. Oh well I guess I can make due with using a win 7 VM. If I can't do conversion then I guess I'll just have to rely on my phone to get the job done. On another note any mp3 players you'd recommend bmouring for most compatibility OS and file wise?

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Reading a bit into it apparently m3u is to playlist what mp3 is to audio files... Don't know why sony and other companies make their devices compatible with small numbers of file extensions (from my software engineering course I have an idea why.). Currently looking for a new player. A friend has been looking for one for a while so I'll just give it to him.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Unsure, I haven't really looked for an mp3 player since my old-skool Diamond Rio 500, for my current mp3 needs I just use my phone (it's got 32 gig internal + 16 gigs in a uSD, plus last.fm, plus online radio, plus pandora, etc. etc.) and it just uses m3u and flat storage

Solution

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

I suppose that would be the best way to go about things. Playlists are easier to manage, etc. Plus I saw on amazon that there was a strictly mp3 version of my phone on amazon. It was the price of an apple device so that wasn't an option. But thanks for the assistance.

TRENDING THREADS