Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

vistax64 not letting me use 8800gt drivers

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Windows Vista
Last response: in Windows Vista
November 7, 2008 8:54:09 PM

So I made sure all my hardware is compatible with vista64 before I started, and it is. I downloaded the proper vistax64 drivers from nvidia, and then I installed them and rebooted, and then enabled sli. Except after installing the drivers and rebooting, it's as if the drivers were never installed. the two 8800gts show up in the device manager, but everything in the nvidia control panel is grayed out, and the display adapter doesn't show as 8800gt, which is very frustrating.

i also have a bootmgr is missing error that i tried to repair by doing the repair thing with the vista cd, it said there were no issues, strange thing is that this error goes away if i have the vista cd in my cd drive...

but at any rate, the first problem is more important, does anyone know what's going on?

More about : vistax64 letting 8800gt drivers

November 7, 2008 9:22:53 PM

in the device manager, it says that the drivers are installed but the device is failing to function, or something of that nature, if that helps
m
l
November 14, 2008 2:47:14 AM

Curious for sure?

I'm also presently running 2 8800GT in SLI w Vista64

List your full specs?

Is the SLI bridge in place?
Have you swapped the cards around?
Are they identical cards, brand, timings, Etc.?
Have you tried downloading the drivers again, maybe they got corrupted in the download?
Is the machine overclocked?
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2008 3:16:30 AM

I've pretty much given up on solving this issue.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE @ 3.1gHz
Asus M2N Sli Deluxe motherboard
4 gigs of a data ram
2 8800gt, 1 xfx, 1 pny, both are same revision, speeds are different but only by a little, and in xp i usually overclock them both to the same speed.
I've completely wiped the harddrive partition and reinstalled several times, even trying the beta drivers. Nothing I lets it work in sli. I've tested both cards individually. My sli bridge is fine. It works perfectly in xp 64. I can install the drivers in vista 64 and it registers one card and has an error with the other. does the same thing if i swap the cards. As soon as I enable sli in nvidia console, all the options disappear and neither card is registered anymore. weird. I've gone back to xp64 now, but if someone coudl solve the problem I would gladly give it another go.
m
l
November 14, 2008 4:31:39 AM

xinsomniacboix said:
I've pretty much given up on solving this issue.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE @ 3.1gHz
Asus M2N Sli Deluxe motherboard
4 gigs of a data ram
2 8800gt, 1 xfx, 1 pny, both are same revision, speeds are different but only by a little, and in xp i usually overclock them both to the same speed.
I've completely wiped the harddrive partition and reinstalled several times, even trying the beta drivers. Nothing I lets it work in sli. I've tested both cards individually. My sli bridge is fine. It works perfectly in xp 64. I can install the drivers in vista 64 and it registers one card and has an error with the other. does the same thing if i swap the cards. As soon as I enable sli in nvidia console, all the options disappear and neither card is registered anymore. weird. I've gone back to xp64 now, but if someone coudl solve the problem I would gladly give it another go.

Your solution is to either BIOS flash one of the cards to the others BIOS, or BIOS flash your known good OC settings to both cards, so they'll both be identical, then they'll be properly M/B identified.

It doesn't matter if you use software and OC in XP, that doesn't solve the recognition that took place on the M/B before WinXP ever even booted.

Now thats how to solve your problem, and my 8800GT are bios flashed to OCd settings.

So if you need instructions on how to go about this, either post back here, or directly PM me.

I'll be glad to help you! Ryan

PS; You will need a floppy drive to do the BIOS flashing

m
l
November 14, 2008 4:34:19 AM

I mean, there're recognized fine in gpu-z until i try enabling sli, and like I said, they work in sli perfectly in xp, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I know i can get the bios from gpu-z, how would I go about flashing them?
m
l
November 14, 2008 10:40:46 AM

You'll need 2 downloadable software programs NiBiTor [Nvidia BIOS Editor], and NvFlash [Nvidia GPU Flashing tool], give me some time to dig up my exact flashing How To notes and I'll get back to this post.

I'll Edit this post and add information to it, you will need a Floppy drive and some formatted Floppy disks.

Edit1 > Nibitor and NvFlash download site and some how to guides to start educating yourself on the process.

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Heres a guide posted here at THGF

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246611-29-guide-nvidia-bios-modification

I personally did not use this guide, I had bios flashed my cards way before this guide was ever posted, but it will provide some good info for you to digest.

To shortcut explaining the process it involves simply using NiBiTor to;

Save your original GPU BIOS to file, to flash the other card to or,

Edit and OC the original BIOS and save to file, to flash both cards to a new bios of your settings, [What I've Done Myself with my cards], if thats the route you want to take.

NiBiTor does not flash your GPU it only gives you the ability to extract the original BIOS and either save or edit it.

Once you have your saved or edited file you use NVFlash to actually flash the GPU.

[VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:] No matter what you plan to do it is important to save the original BIOS of each card, so if anything goes wrong you can flash back to the original BIOS!

Also you need to be comfortable in your understanding of the process, you need to resolve your doubts or questions so you can proceed with confidence, and you also need to understand if you BIOS flash the cards your warranty is gone!

I will tell you and give you the exact information to do this process, however you do this 100% at your own risk!

Additionally its extremely important as with any BIOS flash what so ever, be it GPU or M/B BIOS, that power to your computer is not interrupted during the actual flashing process, meaning a power outage Etc., it would be in your best interests to be running off a UPS [Uninteruptible Power Supply] if at all possible, but that is not a requirement to do this, just an added safety factor!

I'm not trying to scare you out of doing it, just making sure you fully understand what you're getting into.

So do you want to proceed?
m
l
November 14, 2008 1:13:49 PM

Heres an important Caution:

Since you own 2 8800GT manufactured by 2 different manufacturers, you need to inspect both video cards and see exactly what memory modules each manufacturer used hardware wise on each card.

Memory settings of timings on each card may be a seriuos factor in whether this could be successful or not, thats why its very important to save your original BIOS, my cards were manufactured by the same manufacturer using the same memory modules on the cards.

But you may have a different situation, if the cards onboard memory modules is completely different hardware brands, more indepth NiBiTor exploring of timings and settings of the memory modules, will need to be taken into consideration
m
l
November 14, 2008 1:53:38 PM

So far of all the available reviews I've read the XFX uses Qimonda 1ns memory modules, cannot find out what PNY cards are using?

If you're wondering why this matters its because memory can normally clock down to a lower speed module but may not successfully clock up to higher speeds, therefore the master BIOS flash would need to be of the lower timing set card.

NiBiTor will allow you to look at your memory timings and settings of each card, normally this is not even a consideration when the cards are from the same manufacturer, however different hardware, different timings!

Will require more research on your part, of which you can use NiBiTor to explore the BIOS settings of each card till your hearts content, including fan speed settings if you're using the stock coolers.

The graphics cards are BIOS locked and have to be unlocked to BIOS flash, so you can explore the BIOS settings without worrying about messing anything up.

Once you unlock the cards BIOS to flash it to a new BIOS, thats how a card manufacturer knows you've BIOS flashed the card.

m
l
November 14, 2008 5:19:34 PM

I just checked my cards' bios through nibitor, all the timings are the same except for timing 1, what does that mean for me?
m
l
November 14, 2008 10:50:39 PM

What is the timing 1 difference?
m
l
November 14, 2008 11:30:20 PM

Well I just discovered something very interesting NiBiTor will not work in Vista64, so you'll have to do this all through XP.

The versions I used on my 8800GTs were NiBiTor v 3.7 and NvFlash v 5.57
m
l
November 15, 2008 1:10:20 AM

Yeah I've been doing it in XP. I sent a screenshot of my timings differences to your listed email. If you could take a look at it for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks
m
l
November 15, 2008 1:45:38 PM

xinsomniacboix said:
Yeah I've been doing it in XP. I sent a screenshot of my timings differences to your listed email. If you could take a look at it for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Send it PM to 4ryan6, my Email is not supposed to even be listed, and I didn't receive any thing.

This thread may not only solve your situation, but it may also help others also, my purpose here at THGF is to help others solve their computer problems, thats why I joined THGF in the first place.

Just FYI I installed WinXP on a secondary HDD last night so I could use Nibitor and continue to help you through this, I'd been putting off re-installing XP for a while because I do have some older software I'm just not ready to give up that no matter what I do won't run on the Vista platform, there are some advantages to dual booting Vista and XP, this will give me the ability to compare your timings against my own and see where the critical differences may be.
m
l
November 15, 2008 3:33:32 PM

@xinsomniacboix

Important Note and Caution to pass on FYI;

When the time comes to actually BIOS flash the card or cards, if only one card is your intention to flash, remove the other from the M/B!

If you leave both cards in an SLI capable M/B they'll both be flashed one first then the other immediately after, so if your intention is to only flash one card, only have the one to flash installed on the M/B!
m
l
November 15, 2008 5:39:47 PM

ok, I can't actually start flashing until the floppy drive I ordered comes in the mail. I probably threw my old one away. But it should get here soon. Here are the timing differences. this is for timingset 1: the first card is the pny, the second is the xfx:

timing0: 0d1f362c 0d162f23
timing1: 0f01090f 11010a08
timing2: 000a080f 0208080c
timing3: 21160c0c 1f160a0a
timing4: 00000808 20000707
timing5: 360f0f0d 2f0c0d0d0
timing6: 0035013a 00330136
timing7: 00000808 20000707
timing8: 360f0f0d 2f0c0d0d
timing9: 0035013a 00330136
timinga: blank for both

so if it flashes both cards at the same time, then if i need to reflash one card, i have to have an identical card on hand to do the flashing? i was hoping that i would only have to void the warranty on one of the cards, since xfx has the double lifetime warranty and i could potentially still sell it later on
m
l
November 16, 2008 12:15:29 AM

Those are major timing differences if it would be possible at all you'd need to flash the xfx with the pnys bios, making a backup of the original xfx bios to reflash it back if it doesn't work.

Seeing those timing differences I'm more inclined to tell you to forget it, once you unlock the cards bios to flash it, your warrantys gone period so with the memory hardware being different, it will be an extremely long shot for it to work, and the odds aren't in your favor!
m
l