red1776

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
hi all,
I have me a big problem and i hope yall can help. I opened my media player 11 today and was met with 'media player 11 has encountered a problem and needs to close' the same thing when i opened rhapsody,realplayer, winamp. i tried a restart and re-install,but when i do this halfway through it tells me that DRM migrate.exe has encountred a problem, and after the install says that setup.exe has encounterd a problem and needs to close. I ran a malware scan and it found nothing. i tried to run several system restores and they all said that my computer could not be restored to that date even though they all had restore points. I ran chkdsk and it said that it found sectors that were marked as free space that were actually allocated and repaired them. however when i try to re-install i get the same result......Im stumped. this is only happening with my media players, all other programs run fine. I dont know if its related but about a week ago i replaced my athlon 64 3400 with an athlon x2 4200. im using XP sp3
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Thanks

Try reading through some of these forums for a solution related to your 'DRM migrate.exe' has encountred a problem.

http://www.google.com/search?q=+DRM+migrate.exe+has+encountred+a+problem%2C&rls=com.microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

As far as trying to reinstall the windows XP operating system in it's entirety, you will have to boot to the Windows CD by making the first boot device in BIOS your DVD. Boot to the windows CD and reformat the HD and install the OS that way. Of course, this wipes out the entire hard drive and installs a fresh copy of your OS. Be sure to back up any important data before you reformat and reinstall the OS.

How to install windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941

kit35

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Like red1776, I too, upgraded my Athlon 64 3200 to Althlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600 using XP sp3 and found Windows Media Player would not run: it 'Encountered a problem and needed to close'
Oh, Dear!
Likewise, rolling back media player to version 10 etc. and attempting to re-install 11 met with the DRM Migrate problem. (I had downloaded and SAVED the download for Media Player 11 enabling me to repeatedly attempt to re-install it without having to wait for a download each time.
Poking around on the internet, it seems the problem is caused by files in C:\Documents and Settings\All users\DRM.

I deleted all these files under DRM to the waste basket ( you have to switch off the 'read only' switch for these files using the 'property' window.
Then you can remove them. Of course you can restore them and optionally rename the directory to enable you to get back to your first state.
Messing around like this, with trial and error, I found that the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\All users\DRM\cache\Indiv01.key' prevented Media running.
I seem now to be running OK, but my old files (which did not work) are still there if I need them under the name: OLDDRM.
Take courage, try a few things, you have nothing to lose but taking your Computer back to an engineer who will wipe everything off your disk (an easy fix for him) and charge you £100.