Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot any linux in my new build.

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
October 28, 2011 3:16:19 PM

Hi there guys, I was wondering what part/component of my computer can be the one making the trouble, I am thinking that is the video card but I don't know if the hhd or the mobo are the one to blame. Every time I try to run a live cd it will freeze, then in "nomodeset" it runs but once installed it just don't boot, usually freeze while loading the devices, some times as soon as I hit enter, recovery modes are also useless since they present the same problem, also tried nomodeset/text parameters at no avail. I had tried Ubuntu 10.04,10.10,11.04 and 11.10 (11.10 is the only one that actually boots normal while in live cd but present the same problems once is installed, also tried Fedora 14,15, exactly the same problems, I also notice that grub takes about 5 seconds to start after the Bios, I don't know if this is normal but in my 8 year old pc it takes1-2 seconds... the in the other hand I installed Windows7 just to check if the video card/hhd was ok and it seams like nothing is wrong, installs right and it works flawlessly :sarcastic:  . I have a week to return my components, what would you guys suggest?? Any help is much appreciated.

Note:This build is meant to be a Linux pc.

specs:
video-ASUS GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card, ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3
hhd-Western Digital 500 GB Sata 6.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-oem Drives WD5000AAKX
mobo-Asrock 890fx deluxe5
brain-phenonm 1090t.

More about : boot linux build

October 29, 2011 4:00:55 PM

If I were in the situation you find yourself in, I would start looking for ways to start in a way without X starting up (which may just be going with single mode) and setup send to startup such that you can check the Xorg logs to see what, if anything, it tells you (plus you could always check other logs such as the kernel log and various system logs)
m
l
October 30, 2011 2:04:12 AM

If you can't get the RIPLinuX liveCD to boot, then you have some serious problems. I'm guessing a video problem, but I'm not exactly sure what point in the boot sequence you mean by "loading the devices." The device drivers and system services are loaded while the boot splash screen loads, then KDE shows some icons while it logs you in, that look like devices are being loaded. It has been a while since I've booted into the default gnome, to remember what it does, and I haven't tried the new Unity system.

It's hard for me to diagnose from here, but any of this information might help. How far do you get when booting in recovery mode, and have you tried "nomodeset" with the installed 11.10? Does X Windows start, with it freezing after you enter the login? Are you using the binary NVIDIA driver? (instructions here) What are the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log? (boot from the live cd, but make sure you're viewing the version from the installed linux. The recover console will work too.) With Ubuntu 11.10, are you installing the 3rd party software during the install? (I think this might install the binary NVIDIA driver)
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2011 5:41:38 PM

Hey guys thanks for your responses and time, I find out the problem by chance, (kind of), reading the text boot (whenever was possible) I realized that always stop when naming one of my optical drives which is quite old and I was trying to recycle in my new build, took it off and now everything works fine. I never hear/read before this type of issue, learning processes never stops.
m
l
November 2, 2011 9:11:06 AM

If you have two drives configured as Master (or Slave) on the same IDE channel you can stop a PC from booting. Sometimes even using CS jumper settings rather than explicitly setting as Slave/Master can yield the same. I got caught out recently having been on SATA for the past couple of years when playing with some old HW.

m
l
November 7, 2011 4:00:54 PM

audiovoodoo said:
If you have two drives configured as Master (or Slave) on the same IDE channel you can stop a PC from booting. Sometimes even using CS jumper settings rather than explicitly setting as Slave/Master can yield the same. I got caught out recently having been on SATA for the past couple of years when playing with some old HW.

Yep, exactly my case, glad to know now, is quite frustrating not to be able to play with a brand new toy at is full.
m
l
November 8, 2011 3:31:14 AM

rjq said:
Yep, exactly my case, glad to know now, is quite frustrating not to be able to play with a brand new toy at is full.

Huh, odd, never seen this be the case, just would see this misconfiguration cause one or both drives fail to show up in BIOS. Good to know.
m
l
November 8, 2011 10:01:33 AM

It's only on some BIOS types that it causes a complete lock-up but I've seen it a couple of times. It's the use of CS that seems to be the nub of it. From memory Maxtor drives involved each time I've had it.
m
l
!