Best option for cooling a Quad Core?

JohnstonLondon

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading and reading trying to make sense of what cooler I should choose. I wanted to stay away from a Water based solution as knowing my luck I'd end up with a fused motherboard when I developed a leak! So an Air based answer is definitely for me.

I am hoping to build a system utilising a QX6700 chip but there is no clear winner on the CPU cooler front. I was thinking of the Asus Arctic Square, when it comes out. But I read a review at the weekend which put me off a bit. Workmanship wasn't so good, did the job but not wonderfully, a bit noisy.

Today I read on Tom's Hardware that they used an Ultra ChillTec cooler. Looks good, but where can I buy one in the UK? Only seems available in the US. Do they have to be sourced from over there?

Or are there any other solutions?

I know there is the Amanda but I've read that the performance is not that wonderful and that you loose a PCI slot in the process.

Any recommendations would be greatfully received.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is currently the top air cooler on the market, but they're a bit expensive (~£40). Unless you're planning on some hardcore oc'ing the regular Ultra 120 or Tuniq Tower 120 will work fine as well. They're cheaper, and the temp difference is only a couple ºc.

Spanki

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
I second this one...that ultra chill tec TEC does really well..without the worry of water spilling. I might build a PC project with that, just because I think it's neat :)