Getting Stop Error 0x000000f4- Need Info

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Hi. I recently started getting a Blue Screen with the STOP Code 0x000000f4; I tried getting the other codes after it, but my camera phone wasn't fast enough and I was never able to get the blue scree again- but my computer is still freezing and hanging and crashing.

now, I know what that code means, I looked it up: anything ranging from a general hardware failure to a vital program termination. The thing is, there's several peculiarities here. Oh, and for the most part, I've been assuming it's the hard drive's fault (A Seagate 300GB SATA II, about 2 years old, just like the rest of the computer). But okay, here's what happens.

It's plugged into SATA Port 1. At boot-up, it tells me to error-check the drive, even if I did it at the last boot-up. If I try to defragment, it will tell me that I should defragment my drive, but it just won't, although it did once and that helped for a while. It works fine for a while until the Window Error Report pops up. it freezes ALWAYS. I can also get it to freeze earlier by opening Internet Explorer. I've recently installed and been playing Dead Space. It works, and generally everything runs for about 5 minutes, although if I open up Dead Space after the inital load-up, I can play it without any problems until I exit.

If I plug it into SATA Port 2, I get completely different results. everything is hunky-dory, but a bit off. Firstly, it louds my hard drive as an ATA Drive rather than SATA. Things load fine, albiet rather slow, and Dead Space and Windows Media Player no longer work (Dead Space just goes to the loading screen and does nothing), although I can access the drive with no problems at all. Internet Explorer works, and there is not much else to say about it.

Just in case it's needed, here are my system specs:

Windows Vista Ultimate
HIS ATI HD 3750
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3200
ASUS A8N-SLI Motherboard
Plextor DVD-Burner
Hiper 550W PSU
Linksys Wireless-N Adapter

all my drivers/firmware were recently updated, so that could be a problem. I'm going to do a test later today by taking the hard drive out and putting into another computer, see how it works. any information would help.

Hopefully not related but I noticed your Plextor DVD-Burner in your specs, sadly after 4 years my Plextor PX-716A finally bit the bullet, it was a sad day, I've kept that drive through about 4 upgrade builds, it was the best burner I've ever owned!

Services will be today at 6PM US EST! It will be missed! [Drys Eyes with Tissue]

[Smile]

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
thanks for the help. I don't know why, but everything works fine again. Even Internet Explorer, the Defragmenter, and the hard drive in general. it's even plugged into SATA Port 1 again. Although all signs would point to the hard drive failing, this hard drive should be good for a while longer, it is only two years old.

thanks for pointing me to the Seagate Diagnostic tools. they've definitely been upgraded since the ones that came on the disc with the hard drive. It's running tests right now.