Sign in with
Your question

E4300 Retail Frys Combo - Should I add Artec Silver?

Last response: in CPUs
May 20, 2007 11:43:08 PM

I got the $99 Retail E4300 Combo at Frys. I have not built a computer in years. I see that the retail chip and heatsink/fan are packaged seperately now because of how they are installed. The heatsink seems to have some hard gray stuff that I guess will melt on when installed and run to full temperature.

Now, I have some Artec Silver compound I bought a few months ago for cpu upgrades and stuff. Do you think it is worth the effort to scrape off the grey stuff and put on Artec Silver or should I just leave well enough alone. I dont think I plan to overclock since I dont want to buy a new fan or mobo (can the frys mobo even overclock?) and the computer is for business use. But maybe if the Artec silver is enough better than the hard intel stuff, it would just make the computer run better and cooler.

If I do use it, how much should I apply and how should I spread it? About a grain of rice worth spread with a qtip? I dont want to mess anything up.

I wouldnt want to mix the two compounds right?

Also, is the evga FX5200 much better than the embedded ecs via graphics and should I even consider installing 64-bit vista?
May 20, 2007 11:45:36 PM

Since you plan not to OC, I'd save the AS5 for later. The stock stuff should work well enough.
May 21, 2007 12:53:19 AM

I wouldn't bother, for stock speeds the stock HSF/thermal pad is plenty.
May 21, 2007 1:54:12 AM

Quote:
Now, I have some Artec Silver compound

No. No you don't. You have ARCTIC Silver.

As in "AntARCTICa" - as in "The Arctic".

Most pointedly to stupid Americans who call it the "Artic": it has an extra C which you fail to pronounce or spell.

"Artic" is an abbreviation of "articulated truck" and refers to a Semi and Trailer system.
May 21, 2007 3:11:38 AM

Quote:
Most pointedly to stupid Americans who call it the "Artic":

No "artic" in these posts, so no stupid Americans here. :D 

Quote:
..."Artic" is an abbreviation of "articulated truck" and refers to a Semi and Trailer system.

And here I was, thinking you were talking about your facial spasms...
May 21, 2007 4:04:05 AM

Quote:

Most pointedly to stupid Americans who call it the "Artic": it has an extra C which you fail to pronounce or spell.

"Artic" is an abbreviation of "articulated truck" and refers to a Semi and Trailer system.

:roll:

Us stupid Americans.
May 21, 2007 4:13:06 AM

I must agree with logainofhades, that surely wasn't... helpful. :lol: 

Man... talk about total devotion Mobius must have for the AS5 product.

Or should I say... gawd, some people are really disturbed... easily.
May 21, 2007 4:14:54 AM

Quote:

Hey Mobius, Are you at it again :?: In this post Arctic was actually completely misspelled Artec. So it's not just that the "c" was missing, which is what you are b!tching about. By the way, there are two accepted pronunciations of the word Arctic. They are ärk'tĭk and är'tĭk, so get over it. I suggest that you seek professional help with your anger issues.
May 21, 2007 4:32:24 AM

Mobius just found a new A$$ to get in, he must really get off on the whole artic/arctic thing. :lol: 

BTW OP, if you have Arctic Silver (I don't need Mobius in my A$$) by all means use it. It is better than the Intel pad.
May 21, 2007 4:35:48 AM

Check where I'm living now. :twisted:
May 21, 2007 4:40:19 AM

:lol: 
Hopefully Mobius dosn't invade the artic and spunk all over your new home! 8O
May 21, 2007 5:04:40 AM

That would be nasty. :?
May 21, 2007 5:29:30 AM

Fry's FTL :!: :twisted:

use the AS, its like $5 a tube and works best if you put it on before the stock stuff melts and becomes impossible to completely remove..
!