Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Bottleneck
  • Socket
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2007 12:14:42 AM

I have a 4800 X2 939 socket proc running at 3 GHZ will it bottleneck a 2900XT I have been thinking of upgrading from my x1900XT 512.. I don't want to buy another proc until the AMD quad's arrive ... And anybody interested in buying my X1900XT 512 make me a offer at Dc_Dave78@Hotmail.com... any feedback on the matter is appreciated....

Regards

Dave

More about : 4800 3ghz bottleneck ati 2900xt 512

May 21, 2007 12:17:57 AM

Will the 2900XT run at full potential? Probably not.

But upgrading the CPU won't really be worth doing for the small performance gain, in games.
May 21, 2007 12:59:01 AM

So is there any advantage to moving to the 2900XT at this point other than it will play DX10 games which are not available yet...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 21, 2007 1:04:44 AM

Bottleneck? Yeah, I would say so.. But I would still go for it... some would argue that the 8800 would be a better buy, but thats not what this thread is about, is it? So yeah, you will bottleneck.. but you will still see a gain.. Looking forward to DX10, but IMO.. why upgrade from the beast that can play just about anything on MAX/HIGH, when there are no DX10 games... I mean, why not just wait and get it for cheaper or get something better for the same $$, I see no downside to waiting with that x1900XT 512.. W/e that just my opinion. Whatever floats your boat man.. Good luck!
May 21, 2007 1:52:40 AM

I'd wait for Crysis or any other decent D10 game. By that time the card will be cheaper, and your XT is fine for now
May 21, 2007 2:13:35 AM

You don't understand how a CPU bottleneck works, do you? Even if the HD 2900XT is being bottlenecked, it'll still outperform the X1900XT by a fair margin.
May 21, 2007 2:22:16 AM

Quote:
You don't understand how a CPU bottleneck works, do you? Even if the HD 2900XT is being bottlenecked, it'll still outperform the X1900XT by a fair margin.

Idk if you were talking to me.. But I get it.. Its pretty straightforward.. 8)
May 21, 2007 2:26:31 AM

Go ahead and wait several months until M$ releases DX10 for XP after slow sales of DX10 games due to Vista being a crappy game platform force them to do this action(I had to reinstall battlefield 2 under XP, cause it ran like crap in vista, i have 2G of ram mind you). Or wait for the 65nm shrink. I personally have decided to just buy the mainstream card of each generation when it comes out, though i think this time around im just gonna go ahead and buy top of the line of previous gen. But im just a highschool student with no capital income.
May 21, 2007 2:28:06 AM

Thats good stuff... DX10 + Xp = More money to spend on a vid card instead of vista.. or to save..
May 21, 2007 2:35:13 AM

Quote:
Thats good stuff... DX10 + Xp = More money to spend on a vid card instead of vista.. or to save..

you know, I wonder ifthese people need to update their reviews, and test if theres bottleneck problem lik ein the 8800GTX with the 2900XT o_O
May 21, 2007 3:00:15 AM

CPU bottleneck usually occurs at low resolutions where your frame rates are so high you can't even tell theres a bottleneck (unless you plot a graph).

Say you had a CPU that could only pump out 60 FPS, the performance would be no different at a low resolution than it would at a higher resolution with all settings maxed. You'd be getting 60FPS either way because that is the performance limit of the CPU. At extremely high graphic settings the Vid-Card would begin to struggle whereas the CPU is kicking back with its feet on the table.

For example, check out the following chart:

Here we can clearly see the mid-range system performs better at low resolutions, whereas the slow-CPU/fast-VidCard system performs better at high resolution with AA/AF.

The low end CPU can pump out 100FPS but when you crank up the resolution performance depends more on the Video Card. Seeing as the mid-range system has a slower video card, its performance is lower than the high end card when graphic details are high.
!