Sorceror Linux kernel compile help

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
So I think this is the part where I need to compile the Linux kernel:

6314305611_b9686a412f_b.jpg

6314823952_76cb2524c4_b.jpg

Please help me, I would really like to know what is going on. :D

Running the sorcerer-i686-SMP-20110907.iso image in Virtualbox.

Best answer if someone tells me it's not worth my time or solves my problem. :D

I've loaded it up in VirtualBox and had a try. As far as I can tell, you just leave it and it installs the software and will eventually reboot. But it's not very clear is it?

If you open a shell and do "top" it is definitely doing something as it's using a lot of CPU.

Edit: Choose the Scry option after a couple of minutes and it seems to show you what's happening.

I give up! I got the system installed (I think) but then I can't do anything with it. Can't select additional software to install, so I can't even install a Window Manager. I'm sure it's a good idea, but it's too flawed for me to bother further with.

The problem is that it tries to be Gentoo for the masses. Unfortunately, Gentoo just isn't for the masses. It's fine when things go as planned, but if something goes wrong you have problems. At least with Gentoo there is copious documentation that tells you what is going on, how the various tools work, and a huge user base to help. Sorcerer seems to lack both. Even LFS was easier than this!

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

Ahem, portage is very user friendly, it's just a bit selective of its friends.

(Seriously, though, battling with OpenEmbedded/Angstrom/bitbake lately, I pine for portage, it actually makes sense and is significantly easier to debug an issue and fix/tweak/modify)

TRENDING THREADS