What is the cheapest operating system

agnes_99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I just bought a Samsung laptop online and now realise that it doesnt have an operating system! what is the cheapest operating system that I can install. Windows? Linux?
Thanks for your help

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I was implying that any suggestion to the poster to pirate Windows would violate the ToS. That's all.

So, my answer still stands, Linux or FreeBSD is the best bet.

As regards to which I would recommend, I would recommend Linux Mint.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

I used Mint for a few years, and was generally pleased with it but ran into an issue at some point where the new internal wireless card I had picked up (an Atheros 9k series) had support, but the driver would become borked after a few hours of use and switched over to Ubuntu 10.10 since it had updated support and I didn't really feel like pulling a new kernel from mainline and building that. I would imagine once I reimage the laptop I'll give Mint another spin as well as a few other distros that have piqued my interest (antiX and arch)

First played with that on my last PC, so over 2 years ago. I'm not normally a fan of reinventing the wheel but those guys are rolling on fat 20's with spinners. :sol:

They actually took a step back about a year ago and changed the development process and some of the aims. It cost them time which is why it's still early alpha after years of development.