Linux Mint 12

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Just look at this...

linuxmint12-preview.png

Gnome 3 is shiny, elegant and modern looking. It’s a sleek desktop but it comes with a few problems:

It changes the way people use their computer
It’s application-centric, not task-centric (you switch between applications, not windows)
It doesn’t do multi-tasking well (you can’t see opened windows, system tray icons, etc..)

We’ve been using application menus, window lists and other traditional desktop features for as far as I can remember. It looked different in KDE, Xfce, or even Windows and Mac OS, but it was similar. Gnome 3 is changing all that and is developing a better way for us to interact with our computer. From our point of view here at Linux Mint, we’re not sure they’re right, and we’re not sure they’re wrong either. What we’re sure of, is that if people aren’t given the choice they will be frustrated and our vision of an Operating System is that your computer should work for you and make you feel comfortable. So with this in mind, Gnome 3 in Linux Mint 12 needs to let you interact with your computer in two different ways: the traditional way, and the new way, and it’s up to you to decide which way you want to use.

For this, we developed “MGSE” (Mint Gnome Shell Extensions), which is a desktop layer on top of Gnome 3 that makes it possible for you to use Gnome 3 in a traditional way. You can disable all components within MGSE to get a pure Gnome 3 experience, or you can enable all of them to get a Gnome 3 desktop that is similar to what you’ve been using before. Of course you can also pick and only enable the components you like to design your own desktop.

The main features in MGSE are:

The bottom panel
The application menu
The window list
A task-centric desktop (i.e. you switch between windows, not applications)
Visible system tray icons

MGSE also includes additional extensions such as a media player indicator, and multiple enhancements to Gnome 3.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/

I reckon MGSE is GNOME 3 done right... well rather more right.

They just seem to forget Laptop users with Intel graphics or people like myself that don't game so go for a decent enough CPU but on-board graphics to save money.

Even Linus is saying use XFCE nowadays.

rjq

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
I just install G3 over Arch in my pc and is quite nice I must admit, is not perfect but it seams fast and easy to navigate with the keyboard, definetly not gnome2, would see how much customization under the hood can be done, tryed on Fedora, never really worked, nvidia issues I guess.