Scraping thermal paste off cpu for new HSF?

Ciraxis

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Hey im just posting this to ask for the safest way to scrape thermal paste from my cpu without causing some sort of static or other damage, dont want to use a metal object for obvious reasons, also apprehensive about using a cloth in case its charged with static.

Any recommendations?

Mondoman

Splendid
Something fairly soft but stiff, with a good edge, should work fine. A business card or 3x5 file card works well, a credit card will work. To get rid of the remnants, moisten a cotton rag with anhydrous isopropyl alcohol from the grocery/pharmacy and clean off the compound traces.

easyg

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
See above, since the top of the CPU is made of metal you don't need to worry to much about static electricity. Touch something grounded periodically anytime you work with ESD senstive devices.

Also, Artic Silver, makers of AS5, sells surface cleaning solutions and thermal paste removal solvents that work pretty well.... you could always moisten a soft cloth with isopropyl (rubbing) alchohol to get rid of some greases ... depends on the type of paste you are trying to remove. Just work slowly and gently and have some patience, you will be successful :) ...

Jack

This stuff works (ArtiClean Thermal Material Remover) works really well.

Incidentally, Artic recommends using a coffee filter. Lint free, sturdy, but not too abrasive. Perfect for removing thermal interface material.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I recommend an old, used and many times washed baby diaper... Preferably just washed... Cotton is not particularily conducive to static, and as JJ said, keep your psu plugged in (but switched off at the back) and touch your frame before and during the process.

I'd recommend lighter fluid for a first clean, it seems to remove most cleaners quite quickly... Follow that up with some isopropanyl alcohol, 70% or better will be fine... Let dry and re-apply goop, you're good to go.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
:eek: <-- has a blonde moment.

Ohhhhh... just stick it in the dishwasher, it will be fine.

:oops: . o O (JUST KIDDING!!)

The other posts have good advise... I.. I.. just need to go to bed. :mrgreen:

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
For the application I use metal ruler covered in scotch tape. For the removal I use a sock dabbed with isopropyl alcohol, or if I don't have a sock handy I use the sponge I usually use with my soldering iron. The combination of highly flamable alcohol and a 250ºf soldering iron probably isnt the safest thing, but the stuff dries fast, and the sponge is covered in water before hand.

logical2u

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I managed to get rid of stock thermal paste with some kleenex. It was fairly new however, so I'm not sure it's going to always work out so nicely.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You can use a cloth and alcohol. Better yet you can use the Artic Silver cleaning kit. First you need to ground yourself to a metal to discharge the static electricity stored in your body. Touching the metal part of your pc case will do the trick.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
We all have favourite methods.... JJ's method is probably the most correct, use a proper cleaner and be patient. I'm not quite as patient, so I'll include a final step to my process previous. Get some very dry lacquer thinner, and use that for your final clean. It may remove the printing from your cpu heatshield, but there will be no oils left behind.

Ciraxis

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
its a p4 prescott 3.0ghz, yeah i know one inefficient beast, got a temp HSF with some thermal paste while i wait for the arctic stuff to come in the post, now down to 60 degrees at max

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
That temp seems allot better for it.

I have 6800GS. It has a threshold of 120C. I've never seen it reach that temp.

The highest my gpu temp varied (room temp) 68-72C (doing benchmark 3dmark). Though I'm not on the stock HSF for the video card. Just running reg games it stays below 60C or average 55C.

I vaguely remember that it did reach 78C with the stock HSF and was alarmed by it, so that is when I bit the bullet and brought the over priced zalman VF 700 for 50 bucks, since I couldn't find anything cheaper when I was looking for a replacement.