Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area when startup

Shadow943

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Whenever I start up Vista I Get a BSOD after the startup loading screen saying:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

And lot's of other messages suggesting I should disconnect any new hardware, or disable RAM Catching/Shadowing, but I didn't see any of those options in my BIOS

The error message usually resets really quick unless I disable automatic restart during system failure. It started to first happen when I was playing some games, then began to happen more on the desktop, then right after Vista loads all the time now.

I tried to run in safe mode, but I get the same error after it stops loading at crcdisk.sys

I have tried replacing the hard drive with 2 that had XP on it, They also both did the same BSOD screen each time but instead of the page fault it said windows has shut down your system to prevent damage, so I think it's a hardware problem seeing as how other hard drives don't boot up.

I have tried Taking out 1 RAM Stick at a time and booting, but same error. After startup there is a window of the problem.

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6.000.2.0.0.256.2882382797
Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information About the Problem:
BCCode: 50
BCP1: FFFFF984063C8024
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFF80001E71101
BCP4: 0000000000000005
OS Version: 6_0_6009
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini111108-08.dmp
C:\Windows\Temp\WER-32604-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Windows\Temp\WER8535.tmp.version.txt

But since Windows won't boot up past that without the BSOD, I can't get to the desktop :(

My specs are:

AMD Athlon X2 6400 3.2ghz
HD3870 512mb in Crossfire
580V Thermaltake PSU
G.Skill 2GB 800 RAM
ASUS M2R32-MVP Motherboard
500GB Western Digital Caviar GP SATA Hard Drive
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
(Nothing overclocked)

Thanks.

Sounds right off the bat like bad Memory.

However Your power supply is seriously on the weak side if 580V is actually 580W Thermaltake for running the Crossfire setup you have, your under powered P/S may very well be the source of your trouble.

If your P/S is the problem when you change it out to one that fully supports the system you'll know instantly when you boot up, your problems will just disappear, I had a similar situation happen with a Fortron 700W and an OCd 7800GTX SLI setup.

Also with Vista Ultimate64 future wise you may need to consider increasing your ram to 4G, however 2 x 2G = 4G seems to work much better than 4 x 1G = 4G

To add to 4ryan's thoughts:

Try downloading memtest86.
http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.4a.iso.zip
Burn the ISO to CD and boot from it. The test will run automatically.

Or you could just boot from the Vista DVD and use the memory checker though I have heard that memtest is better.

This test will remove Windows from the equation and focus on the hardware.

I assume this install of Vista was made on this machine and was working ok before? And the other hard drives you put in it, were they installed with Windows on this same machine? It is very often the case that an install you made on one MOBO will not boot on another MOBO.

And yea, that power supply sounds potentially too weak for CF. Try booting with only one video card in there.