Any OS which runs without any issues with intel 845 graphics?

DisappearingOak

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
I've tried several linux distros (ubuntu, mint, fedora, etc) but none of them work with i845g integrated graphics due to some kernel or driver bug which, searching online, seems like it's not going to be fixed any time soon. I've tried many workarounds but can't get a stable system with those distros. I'm wondering if there are any OS, like BSD or Unix-like systems which are compatible with i845g?? Thanks.

My system is 1.7ghz P4, 768mb ram, and 845g board.

I would have thought VESA mode would at least get you running, all be it with slow performance. Depending on the distro you might need to use kernel switches to enable this at boot. Certainly on an old rig of mine Knopix (This is a few years ago) would only ever boot with the VESA flag set.

rjq

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
My old pc also have those specs (slightly faster p4) and ubuntu 10.04,10.10 work ok with it, although to install it I have to "i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0" it to run the graphical installer, like you said there is nothing coming to fix this, if you are not in need for the latest software you can always look for a copy of an old distro, try ubuntu 8.04/9.04, my pc flays with those.