Sign in with
Your question

Fedora 16 released

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
November 9, 2011 3:14:07 AM

It's big news for me.

A list of new features is avalible here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/16/FeatureList

A download link is here: http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

I will report back as soon as it has finished installing.

More about : fedora released

November 9, 2011 3:35:32 AM

Ok, so far I'm testing out the LXDE spin and the new GRUB 2 grey loading screen looks marvellous. It has a pastel grey outline of the fedora logo (much more low modality and professional looking) instead of the hyperactive pastel blue of the previous releases and looks amazing, the isolinux bootloader we are so familiar with is a little different. The artwork is much more polished and the live CD looks overall more polished. Unfortunately, I don't have my camera on me...

Anaconda, the Fedora installer is identical in looks. Nothing new here.

My laptop's brightness controls still don't work, xbacklight is still needed here. However, Fedora 16 has regressed in that it no longer supports my laptop's turn off display function properly as I cannot turn it back on again. Any use of the function keys results in a kernel panic (fixed through updates but screen off still doesn't work). Turning on the wireless crashes the system even with updates.

Overall, Fedora 16 uses 130MB RAM idle, up from Fedora 15's 124MB but boot time in Fedora 16 has been slashed from 51.801s to 44.746s in Fedora 16. *

Upon excuting yum update I was greeted with 60MB worth of updates to Fedora 16!

While being extremely beautiful in design, Fedora 16 feels like a Beta version. The release is horribly buggy to the point where I foujnd myself wishing that Fedora 15 was still installed on my production machine. Fedora is an improvement in many ways, but a regression in more ways. I couldn't test anymore of the distro, it was very discouraging to have it frequently crash on my hardware. I have the ABRT has reported the problems, so I expect these problems will be fixed soon.

Verdict
+ Cooler loading screen
+ Improved artwork
+ Newer software versions
+ Faster boot times
- Horribly unstable
- Increased RAM usage
- Startup bootloader rather than just booting

6/10

Fedora 15 is definately the release you want to stick with if you are a laptop user. Fedora 16 LXDE is simply too experimental... you can't make a production machine out of the hardware I had to test with. Fedora 16 will undoubty improve, but this release version simply feels like a beta. There is so much more polish in first day distro releases like Linux Mint, it makes you wonder why these bugs haven't been ironed out.

*Test configuration
Lenovo s10e| Atom 230| 2GB RAM| 250GB WD 5,400rpm| Fedora 15/16 LXDE
November 9, 2011 3:06:30 PM

Thanks for the review. Just a couple of points.

amdfangirl said:

Upon excuting yum update I was greeted with 60MB worth of updates to Fedora 16!

I'm wondering when distributions will start automatically updating the .iso file to include all the latest patches as of the day of download. I had a good couple of hundred megs to download when I installed Mint which was annoying as my broadband connection (used to get the .iso) is much faster than my brothers where I was installing.

It can't be that hard to do a weekly automated iso build and reduce the bandwidth and load on the update servers. Given your later comments that it feels beta this really might be a good move on the part of the developers. Something like the old MS service packs maybe to show the difference?

amdfangirl said:

6/10

Rather generous score (even for a graphics head like yourself) surely? If you're getting panics and wishing you're on the older version it kind of says it stinks worse than my washing basket, and that's not good.
Related resources
November 10, 2011 11:47:33 PM

+1 for the labeling your score a bit on the generous side. Granted, different hardware is likely to be more compatible, but overall a fairly weak showing. Methinks you are more than just an AMD fangirl... ;) 
November 11, 2011 3:24:45 AM

I didn't reduce the score too much for incompatibility, but considering that the previous version of Fedora supported it just fine (minus backlight)...
November 11, 2011 4:47:39 AM

Eek, that's pretty bad. Both the Xfce and GNOME builds worked fine for me. I really don't know why Fedora has had a perfectly working Plymouth bootsplash for the last few versions and Ubuntu still hasn't got one working right.
November 11, 2011 8:31:30 AM

Historically, the LXDE spin has always recieved crummy support and stability. I would imagine both distros are better tested than the LXDE spin.

Historically, Fedora has been iffy on laptops. But definately not like this... I'm considering buying a seperate hard drive when the the prices are sane again and installing Fedora 15 on it and testing other distros on my production machine...

I dunno, Mint 11 seems to work fine with the laptop, just when you use the hardware Wi_Fi switch you need to reboot before you can connect to anything, but unlike Fedora the backlight keyboard shortcuts do actually work.
December 21, 2011 11:24:12 PM

Update:

Having played around with the GNOME 3 version of Fedora (Fedora 16 Live Design Suite Spin) on Virtualbox the results are disappointing. I installed onto the VM, then "Development Tools" group and restarted the computer... kernel panic!

Very worried at the state of Fedora. Installing a few packages and rebooting should not result in a kernel panic. Not after installing all the updates beforehand.
!