Sign in with
Your question

It Connects gets DHCP but no ping or internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 27, 2007 8:50:30 AM

I have a wireless problem with my Dell Inspiron 600M internal wireless. The NIC chipset is a INTEL(R) PRO/WIRELESS 2200BC NETWORK CONNECTION. I just wiped the hard drive and reinstalled XP Home, SP2, all critical patches, and all Dell drivers. There are no problems in the Device manager with any device. The NIC is working properly, IRQ 5 with no conflicts. The NIC can connect to my router with no security, and my neighbors router with no security, and everything works normally. If I turn on my router WEP and enter the correct password in the laptop, the wireless connection will say "connected at 54MBS with excellent signal strength". After authenticating, the DHCP gives the laptop a good IP address, mask, gateway, and DNS servers shown in ipconfig /all. If you try to ping you cannot ping the gateway or any location on the internet or LAN, and of course DNS doesn't work and internet explorer doesn't work. You can ping the local laptop IP address given by the DHCP server. Another laptop can connect through the wireless router using the WEP with no problems and access the internet. It shows the same info in ipconfig /all (different local address).

The on board wire NIC works normally with good connections, and I have disabled this connection and unplugged it for testing the wireless. If I use an incorrect wep password it "connects" with "Limited connectivity" and does not get any DHCP info, so I can tell when I am using the correct password. I consider myself a pretty good computer tech with hardware and software, but I don't have much wireless experience. This one is baffeling me. Is there some command to tell it to turn on and talk through the wireless NIC?
August 27, 2007 10:28:42 PM

Sounds like you have been thorough. I might suggest the adapter is bad since this task is a fairly simple one.

To verify that your internal adapter is faulty, download a linux LIVE CD such as Unbunto (butchered that one bad) or Fedora Core. Both these will have the drivers to power your card and if you experience the same issues, you have identified the problem.

I assume you are close to the router while doing this :) 
August 28, 2007 7:23:17 AM

Yes close to the router, about 10 feet, tired several locations. Haven't heard of these programs. Do they run under windows or do I have to reload the system with Linux? If they are windows programs to simulate Linux, do they actually use their own drivers to communicate or do they talk through to the windows OS, or disable windows while running?
Related resources
February 16, 2010 8:52:08 PM

I wonder if you have managed to sort this problem
I have a problem that is almost identical - we have an office network that is wired so rarely use the wireless. We did reconfigure the router 3 months ago so this is the first time trying to make a wireless connection.

The connection is made, signal strength is good, and because there is a server that provided the dhcp, I set the IP configuration on the laptop manually.

I cannot ping the router, server or anything from the laptop. so ideas would be great.
regards
a b F Wireless
February 17, 2010 2:01:00 AM

pobble said:
I have a problem that is almost identical - we have an office network that is wired so rarely use the wireless. We did reconfigure the router 3 months ago so this is the first time trying to make a wireless connection.

The connection is made, signal strength is good, and because there is a server that provided the dhcp, I set the IP configuration on the laptop manually.

I cannot ping the router, server or anything from the laptop. so ideas would be great.
regards

I'd be happy to help, but you might want to start your own thread. Some of things the OP said just didn’t make sense. And since this is an old thread, I probably won’t be able to solicit any further information from the OP that might in turn help you. I’m not even convinced your respective problems are the same.

Btw, you mentioned there is a DHCP server and you set the IP configuration manually. But that doesn’t make sense. The point of a DHCP server is to automate the job of configuring TCP/IP on your PC. If you’re setting it manually, you may very well be using the wrong settings (e.g., wrong subnet). And that could be the cause of all your connectivity problems.
April 7, 2010 8:03:37 PM

pobble said:

regards

To fix my problem I ended up replacing my wireless router, and now it talks to all our laptops. Guess it was something in the router would accept unsecure connections and provide DHCP, but would only accept secure connections from some laptops and not others. I did try Unbutu and BartPC OSs on a CD and they did work with the router using wired mode, but they did not have drivers for my internal wireless adapter so I did not make a secure connection that way.
!